Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Q: How do you reseed basil?
First, I stop pinching the tops off in September and let the plants go to seed. Some of them I will harvest the seeds when the tops are dry, let them sit on some paper towels for a day, and put in a ziploc until early spring. I usually (although not this year) plant some seeds in a small pot and grow them inside until they are 2-3" tall. Others I just toss out into the beds and rake into the dirt in March.
I also let several plants just stay in the ground until the seeds blow off naturally - these are the ones that have reseeded for several years but this year I got only 1 plant (last year I had a dozen).

Quote:
Regarding oregano: I add it to salads, pizza, pasta dishes, lasagna, bruschetta, pesto and soups, all of which I make fairly frequently. Anything where basil would work, works for oregano pretty much.
Don't know why I didn't think to try this! Thanks!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

OMG! Who needs to go out to eat!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OMG! Who needs to go out to eat!

If your interested in cooking this free course from Harvard might be of interest.

https://www.edx.org/course/science-c...vardx-spu27x-0

I've already calibrated my oven using the melting sugar method in the first lesson.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If your interested in cooking this free course from Harvard might be of interest.

I've already calibrated my oven using the melting sugar method in the first lesson.
Wow, what a terrific learning portal to add to my collection (Coursera, The Learning Co, etc.).

I've just enrolled to audit this course. Looks very interesting, as does the list of visiting chefs.

BTW - You might enjoy Chef's Table on Netflix if you've not yet seen, a six part documentary on six cuisine-defining chefs, one of whom, Dan Barber of Blue Hill Farm, is also a visiting chef for the Harvard learning series.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #184
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You could sell a million cookbooks with photos like this one. Yum!
Thanks!

I've been practicing and getting better each time. The family is the judging panel that rates my bbq after every time.

Pork Shoulder is more forgiving and 'easier' than say brisket - that is 'tough' to get right.

Lot's of left overs - just made a sandwich after sweating in the back yard doing some gardening.

I will say that this pulled pork is *mighty* good!

Tender, just the right amount of smoke, the rub coming thru at the end with just a bit of heat behind the sweet tang of the sauce - that and the crispy crunch you get with the coleslaw.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

It is wonderful to see so many people really into eating and cooking good food, and for the cooking, challenging food. I always enjoyed seeing to it that my kids got good food on the table without a lot of waiting. My wife was an excellent Euro-style cook, but she did take her time about it.

My cooking lately has become more and more streamlined, pretty good, damn fast, and no need to think about very much.

No way can I read a recipe, or even the weekly flyer with specials at various stores. Today I did finally figure out how to make a quality low effort-in-preparation chicken cacciatore. It does have to be started simmering well before you are going to get hungry.

So now I will have a chicken entrée, as well as lamb chops and various manifestations of hamburger. My favorites are wild fresh (never frozen) fish. This gives a constantly changing menu as different runs of anadromous fish come and go, different seasons for different crabs, etc. Like religious people avoiding meat during Lent, I stay off oysters May through August. The bartender at my favorite oyster bar says that these varieties in Puget Sound are good all summer, but when I have tried them they don't seem good to me. Anyway, variety is the spice of life. A little doing without makes it sweeter when you get it.

Ha
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #186

Quote:

Thanks for posting this - I just finished the first lesson but will leave the homework & lab for later. It will be good brain-stretching to exercise some of the math and science I haven't used in years decades!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Definitely of interest to me, thanks for posting. I audited lesson 1 last evening and found it quite enjoyable. I decided not to do the homework, because I don't work any more!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
I love this thread because the simple delight of having time to cook and eat delicious, healthy meals at home has been one of the most pleasant surprises of ER for me. While working, I was constantly eating on the fly and lived in an urban area where take-out and home-delivery were always on the nightly menu.
Same here... never thought I could cook when I lived so long on takeout and microwaved meals, but it's been a lot of fun since ER. I like that I can just go to the grocery store every day or two if I want and get vegetables and meats, then cook it up the same day, all fresh.
Kabekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Same here... never thought I could cook when I lived so long on takeout and microwaved meals, but it's been a lot of fun since ER. I like that I can just go to the grocery store every day or two if I want and get vegetables and meats, then cook it up the same day, all fresh.

Wow... this reminds me of when I was a teenager and was a sacker at the grocery store.... there was a group of people that basically came in every day and would buy what they were going to cook that night... they were 'known' by most of the people and would get good cuts of meat from the butcher and help from others.... they also had their favorite checker... I would see some get in a line just so they could see their checker...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah - I think my new rule is "Who needs to eat out at home in the US". The original rule changes quickly when you visit certain countries in Europe.

Of course if we travel to certain locations in the US there are regional specialties difficult to recreate at home due to availability of ingredients. Thinking of Elliot's Oyster House!!! (Seattle).
We've only eaten dinner in a restaurant one time while in Sicily... But that's because we've been shuttled from one cousins house to the next for dinner. Each pulling out all the stops on amazing food.

Last night we were given these calzone type things - one with bits of fresh anchovy, some onion, and a local cheese.... the other with cheese, local olives, and fresh tomatos. In addition we had these amazing fried up anchovies, a wonderful greenbean dish. And then finally fresh cherries.

The night before we had homemade arancini (stuffed rice balls - AMAZING), eggplant parmiagiana, home-made vegetable pizza, etc... The three daughters of my husband's 2nd cousin Maria are competive with each other and they were trying to impress us.

We move onto Bologna and looking forward to eating out there!!!! It's supposed to be a serious foody town.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Here's a new (to me anyway) take on sous vide cooking. I expect a report from you sous vide enthusiasts soon!

https://www.yahoo.com/food/does-dish...858003251.html

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Here's a new (to me anyway) take on sous vide cooking. I expect a report from you sous vide enthusiasts soon!

They say it is 'similar' to sous vide. I'd say it's similar in the same way that performing an appendectomy is similar to trimming a branch off a tree. They both involve cutting.

Sous vide uses a controlled temperature, within a degree or two F, for a very specific result. A dishwasher can cook some food, but you don't know what you are getting time/temperature-wise.

I've got my temperature controller set up ( a cheap ebay/amazon aquarium thermostat/probe with a socket wired to it). I have not tested it with my manual control crock pot yet, I should check that out.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Bought a stainless pan set and decided to try it on steak... DW and the kids are away, so only me... not a great pic from my tablet... oh well...

Already ate one before taking the pic on the second... yes, I am a pig....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-08-14 21.51.28.jpg (395.2 KB, 29 views)
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #194
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do pigs eat streak? All kidding aside, that looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #195

Pigs eat anything, they'll certainly have a mean streak.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Sooie!
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Fwiw classic Thermapen on sale through Cyber Monday $69. Classic Super-FastĀ® ThermapenĀ® Thermometer from ThermoWorks
Old 12-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #198

We almost don't eat out anymore as my DW is anti-GMO and a health nut. We buy prime rib steaks at Costco and cook in in cast iron grill .. much better than the restaurants. We also buy lean organic chicken and grill that. Lamb from New Zealand should be almost organic too, and tastly to grill.

Anyway, today, I told my wife that Hardees was offering the first grass-fed, no-hormone, no-antibiotic all natural hamburger. So I pad $10 for that burger. The regular Hardee thick burger combo was around $6.80s and this all natural burger was $9.80s combo. It was ok.

cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote