Join Early Retirement Today

On the path 10
Old 10-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the path 10

Bad or Crazy thoughts – 3 months on

Since I’ve been RVing and traveling by my self there have been times when “bad” thoughts have come into my mind. This usually happens on a rainy day or in a place that might be perceived as a depressing. The “bad” thoughts usually take three forms of which some others might be familiar with. The first is that I could have progressed further in my career – especially after I hear who got what new position. The second is that after looking at the lifestyles of many of the people I encounter on a daily basis is that I did give up the golden ring – money, security and an easy job. The third is the fear of the future and I may not realize the romantic image for my RE.

When the sun comes out these thoughts are dealt with and my excitement about RE returns. I remember that I could have continued working, maybe got promoted and died (richer) in the golden security cage. What would that have gotten me? – I think I would have gotten older, richer and a better title but dead inside. I did give up a lot of what many people strive for in work. But now I have what many others are also striving for - freedom. Finally, my fear that I may not realize my future plans is there in everything we do. RE takes work as the book “How to Retire, Happy, Wild and Free” points out. I guess I need to remind myself of this and to be patient. I think time will tell. Maybe in a few years when I compare what I have done with those still at work will the reality hit home.

There is another lesson I’ve been trying to take to hart. Allow and accept places and people for what they are and not what you wish they were. If you do this you will be available for the lesson you have to learn and maybe the goodness that is there.

So all of you thinking about RE shouldn’t believe that every day is a day of wine and roses. There are still things to learn and deal with.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: On the path 10
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #2

I never think about going back to work after 5 years. I admit to toying with the idea the first year. But after 1 1/2 years of retirement, going back to work would be like hoping for a root canal.

I like to travel, but after a week or 2 anywhere in the world, I'm ready to come home. Perpetual Travel is not for me. It sounds good to me, but I know I could not hack it.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Dex,
Where all have you traveled as a full time rv'er? Do you have a blog?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I like to travel, but after a week or 2 anywhere in the world, I'm ready to come horme. Perpetual Travel is not for me. It sounds good to me, but I could not hack it.
I like to take a break and stay at one place for a while after a long stint of travel, but after about a month of staying put, I am itching, really really itching to "get back on the road".

And I'm always "home" - home is where I sleep (in my own bed, in my own room). I don't actually care in which state or town that bed/room happens to be located.

Audrey
Old 10-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am in a similar situation as Dex. I took an early retirement from teaching 4 months ago. As I've said before, this was the most agonizing and difficult decision of my life. Sure, I could have stayed with the school district and doubled my pension with another 5 years in the profession. However, I would have relinguished 5 more long years of freedom and continued to be a slave to money. Prestige, achievement, accumulation of material goods will only yield temporary happiness. A person can only be truly happy when he or she is free to do what they want each day of their life. Unfortunately, work precludes this choice. As Joe Dominguez so eloquently stated in, "Your Money or Your life," employed people aren't really making a living, "they're making a dying."

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon
As I've said before, this was the most agonizing and difficult decision of my life.
I completely agree. I'm also newly ER'd, going on two months now...the period leading up to quitting was intensely stressful (though it also included other big changes such as moving). The shock has finally worn off and now the challenge has become finding a good daily routine of activities. The years of 8-to-5 conditioning run deep and I have to admit to missing the company of certain co-workers and the built in sense of purpose. On the other hand I do NOT miss the constant pressure to produce and simply being bone weary of the occupation. Overall I feel much better now, yet questions remain...I call it semi-ER because I would eventually like to do some part-time work. A few extra bucks never hurts, and it would be comforting. The choice is between consulting, or something entirely new. So, there are still some tough decisions to make.

I think that things are much better now but as others have said, challenges do remain, which is probably a good thing.

RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Dex, Rock, Retire Soon......

Did you guys lead real soft lives or something?? Maybe you're just very risk adverse?? Afraid of change?? I mean, gosh, you're blessed with the opportuntiy to RE and you're gloomy about it?? The most difficult decision of your life? Sheeesh.........

It's too bad when folks need to obcess over how hidious their working lives were in order to have RE look good by comparison. It's time to either get over it, go back to work or perhaps get some professional help.

You'll be dead long time, have a little fun now!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Did you guys lead real soft lives or something?? Maybe you're just very risk adverse?? Afraid of change?? I mean, gosh, you're blessed with the opportuntiy to RE and you're gloomy about it?? The most difficult decision of your life?
Don't be so hard on these guys. Change is stressful. They've all looked at the facts and have rationally chosen not to continue working, but now they are dealing with emotions and those aren't always so rational.

IIRC, youbet, you stayed in the same place and are constantly surrounded by family. These guys totally changed their lives, they quit, they moved they are off traveling alone. We are dealing with more than just quitting.

But... even if it is was JUST retirement it is a big change in the definition of oneself and it takes a bit of time to work it out. We, of all people, should give them the space to work that out here.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #9

Hey Dex,

I think most people would agree that the brass ring is personal freedom. The worries you are dealing will probably be short lived. But, if the RV/ER lifestyle is not for you then you could rent/buy a house and or get a part time job to feel more connected.....or not. You can make all the choices - you are no longer "stuck" in any circumstance. Just take your time and figure out what works for you....and do it.

Take care - Donzo
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
youbet: Not everyone has your level of steely eyed true grit, determination, and warm personality :

RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #11

I think when too many changes occur at the same time it can be overwhelming. When my family decided to get out the military after 11 years AND move to Panama that was quite a shock to the system. I could not have imagined going through the transition by myself. There was so much to do and the closer the day got the longer the "to do" list became.
I still talk with my friends who are getting promoted and think of what could have been for myself. However, that feeling quickly goes away after they start talking about the crappy boss and how they wished they were back in Iraq instead of stateside. THey never get to see their kids or wife because of all the weekend duty or BS.
Based on the retirement my wife and I could have recieved after 9 more years we have put a price on our decision to strike out on our own. Was it worth it? Very much so when I look at my 4 year old every day and not having to imagine not seeing him for a year at a time.
For us semi-RE is not stress free it is a different kind of stress. No where near the levels I experienced in the Army. No regrets at all.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Dex,
Where all have you traveled as a full time rv'er? Do you have a blog?
Dog52
I don't have a blog. I haven't done enough in my mind. I started out in Texas and went north west from there
Santa Fe
Taos
Colorado
Tetons
Yellowstone
Glacier
Idaho
Washington
Californa
Redwoods
Napa Valley
Yosemite
Las Vegas
Grand Canyon
Zion
Arizona

[/quote]
Quote:

Did you guys lead real soft lives or something?? Maybe you're just very risk adverse?? Afraid of change?? I mean, gosh, you're blessed with the opportuntiy to RE and you're gloomy about it?? The most difficult decision of your life? Sheeesh.........

It's too bad when folks need to obcess over how hidious their working lives were in order to have RE look good by comparison. It's time to either get over it, go back to work or perhaps get some professional help.

You'll be dead long time, have a little fun now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
Youbet,
I think to point being made was that I (we) gave up good positions. In some ways that might be considered more difficult than leaving a unpleasant situaltion. I'll toughen up now.

[/quote]
Hey Dex,

I think most people would agree that the brass ring is personal freedom. The worries you are dealing will probably be short lived. But, if the RV/ER lifestyle is not for you then you could rent/buy a house and or get a part time job to feel more connected.....or not. You can make all the choices - you are no longer "stuck" in any circumstance. Just take your time and figure out what works for you....and do it.

Take care - Donzo
[/quote]

Donzo,
I think you're right. It would be nice to have a homebase to retreat to. I plan to get one in the next few months.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Youbet,
I think to point being made was that I (we) gave up good positions. In some ways that might be considered more difficult than leaving a unpleasant situaltion. I'll toughen up now.
Good! You're gona be just fine and the fun/relaxation/new life experiences are ahead of you. A little introspection is OK, but try not to spend too much time questioning your decisions and get on with gettin' on.

My last day was June 30th. I'll confess to a few sleepless nights right before I signed on the dotted line, but since then, it's been all good. I truly wish the same for you.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
youbet: Not everyone has your level of steely eyed true grit, determination, and warm personality :
Well darn Rock, I was just thinking that myself! DW, however, tells me otherwise sometimes.......

You'll be settled down from the move and from RE in no time. Spend a little time with your finances. If that leaves you feeling comfortable you're set for life, then just relax. If you feel a little edgy financially, go prowl around that part time work you're thinking about. But don't just sit and fret about it. This will be a good thing!

Wishing ya the best!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #15

Dex,

I plan on taking alot of short(1 week) and long(3-10 weeks) trips in the near future with wife and kids maintaining the "monster house"(alot of work!).
When the kids are in college DW and I plan on very long trips(3-6months). Our plan - sell the "monster house" on 6 acres and have a home "pod"(a large concrete pad cut into the side of a hill surounded by trees with septic/electricity/barn with loft accomadations etc) on the adjacent 6 acres we bought 6 years ago to always have a home base near friends and familiar setting to chill(around holidays etc) and get ready for the next adventure.
Maybe you should look for a place near family/friends/familiarity that has a good place place to store your RV to hang...until you are itching to get away again.
Plus it is alot easier to meet SOers when you have a home base.
Party on!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:05 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
. . . So all of you thinking about RE shouldn’t believe that every day is a day of wine and roses. There are still things to learn and deal with.
thank the gods.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #17

I retired 06/02/06 and I check the employment section every Sunday. I would like to find a part-time job that is very flexible. I worked jobs covered by social security prior to my gov job and would like to finish earning my social security quarters. I realize that with the windfall elimination provision, my social security pension would be negligible, but every bit would help, especially if I were to be widowed. I know that I worry too much, but I think that growing up extremely poor does that to you.

I second guess my retirement also. I left a good paying job (for me it was good paying, but many of you on this forum would not consider it well paying) with a lot of good benefits. I do not have a college education, so I feel certain that I would not be able to find a job paying anywhere near the salary I was making. I am glad that I no longer have the stress of my former job though. Also, I am extremely glad for the time that I am spending with my soon to be 18 year old DD, who is a senior in high school. We still have our ups and downs, but we are sharing alot more time together. We have went on trips to the DC area, to Chicago IL and will be going to San Diego CA (Coronado) next month.

All in all, I am glad that I took an early retirement, but I agree with Dex on many of his thoughts.

Dex, sounds like you are seeing some beautiful scenery. We are hoping to go to some of the same parks out west and end up in Coronado CA in 06/07. (DD's fiance is in Coronado CA for Seals training. I know that she is way too young to be engaged, but I did not have too much say in it. They are planning a long engagement, thank goodness, and he is a really good guy.)
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I worked jobs covered by social security prior to my gov job and would like to finish earning my social security quarters. I realize that with the windfall elimination provision, my social security pension would be negligible, but every bit would help, especially if I were to be widowed.
Have you read any of the threads on spousal social security? As long as you've been married for 10 years you may be eligible for more ss based on your DH's work than the minimum you'd get. That might be something to think about.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 AM   #19

I am not eligible for spousal social security, because I have a government pension and there is a government pension offset which eliminates any spousal pension amount. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #20

I should have guessed you would have already looked into it! Just curious (nosey) if you get the minimum required quarters in for ss, how much does that give you per month?

« nm | nm »