Join Early Retirement Today

On the path 8
Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the path 8

It is offically one month since my RE and I thought I would check in with a few thoughts. If you have been following my travails of getting to RE you will see that I've been using the "On the path" titles. After only one month I still consider myself on the path with a long way to go.

First impressions of my RE life.
My first month is not representative of RE for most. I'm traveling in an RV so every day the view outside my window changes and there is always something new to explore. If I was at home (I don't have one yet.) the challenges of RE would be different and more challenging.

Work - I didn't hate it; it was easy but I truly believe life is precious and I had to do this while I am young enough to enjoy it. The vast majority of the people I see in RVs are past 65. I'm glad I doing this now. I don't miss any aspect of work. I realize it is a false life.

Lingering - I'm sure others have experienced this realization. It is ok to linger. I can take time and just enjoy the moment for as long as I like. I don't have to be anywhere at an appointed time so I can chose to linger awhile. I can allow myself to linger. It was not a great realization but a nice one none the less.

Money - One month isn't enough time to determine spending trends. But more importantly I'm not worriying about it. I check finances less than I did before RE. I buy what I need and do not deny myself things.

I expect my other revelations about RE will be similar to the one about "Lingering" - nothing earth shattering, more of subtle insights.

So what insights have those who have been RE for awhile discovered?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: On the path 8
Old 08-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Those "live in the moment" books make a lot more sense now.

We have many more "Damn, life is good" or "This is aloha, baby" moments.

There's almost always time for a nap.

Sunrises & sunsets are much more enjoyable when you're not at work...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an in-depth reply, but it's hot here in Texas. My recliner beckons. Nap time, again.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #4

Dex, thanks for the post! I plan to find myself in the same position in a year, so your experiences are valuable. I hope you'll post periodically and keep us up on how it's going and how you're doing.

Coach
Old 08-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Dex, are you traveling alone? If you don't mind me asking, does it get lonely?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Dex......

I've been officially ER'd for six weeks, although it seems like more since I took two vacations during my final month and worked abbreviated hours since January.

My experience and observations are similar to yours, especially the "lingering" part.* For example, we just returned from a fishing trip to northern Minnesota on a lake we like to visit every year.* Normally, the trip would involve some "forced march" driving so as to not waste fishing time.* This year we stopped overnight with different friends* coming and going, did some tourist things in Duluth and really enjoyed the fact we had no particular day by which we needed to be back home.* It was great.* ER rocks!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Dex, are you traveling alone? If you don't mind me asking, does it get lonely?
Martha,
No problem with your question; unless you know my true identity!

I am traveling alone and I haven't found it lonely. As I said I am traveling via a RV and when you get down to it it is a tourist lifestyle. So I realize the majority of the people I interact with are commercial interactions and I don't expect too much out of it. I have had one or two interesting coversations but nothing to write home about.

I think what allowed me to RE is to accept that this is who I am. If I meet someone great; if not, no big deal. If I was living out of an apartment or a house I think this would be an issue and I would be lonely. But traveling, hiking, seeing the sights, and planning keeps things interesting.

I've traveled across the USA twice in the past and with wi-fi internet, cell phones and the iPod with all the podcasts available it is much different. The first time I did it in '79/80 all you had was a map and a tour book. Now there are alot more diversions. As I write I'm on a wi-fi connection listening to some jazz on the iPod with all the comforts of home.

Another aspect is that this is a step in my life and (hopefully) not all there will be. I plan to put down roots somewhere and I think that will be where lonelyness will be a challenge.

On a global note I think most people in the USA live lonely lives but, it is difficult to acknowlege or accept. The rushing around of work, television, shopping and other diversions keep people busy as a substitue for relationships and are an attempt to fill the void.

But I believe what I am doing now is more of life than if I were to continue working. I am fortunate I can do this.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Dex. Nice post.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Martha,
No problem with your question; unless you know my true identity!

I am traveling alone and I haven't found it lonely.* As I said I am traveling via a RV and when you get down to it it is a tourist lifestyle.* So I realize the majority of the people I interact with are commercial interactions and I don't expect too much out of it.* I have had one or two interesting coversations but nothing to write home about.

I think what allowed me to RE is to accept that this is who I am.* If I meet someone great; if not, no big deal.* If I was living out of an apartment or a house I think this would be an issue and I would be lonely.* But traveling, hiking, seeing the sights, and planning keeps things interesting.

I've traveled across the USA twice in the past and with wi-fi internet, cell phones and the iPod with all the podcasts available it is much different.* *The first time I did it in '79/80 all you had was a map and a tour book.* Now there are alot more diversions.* As I write I'm on a wi-fi connection listening to some jazz on the iPod with all the comforts of home.

Another aspect is that this is a step in my life and (hopefully) not all there will be.* I plan to put down roots somewhere and I think that will be where lonelyness will be a challenge.

On a global note I think most people in the USA live lonely lives but, it is difficult to acknowlege or accept.* The rushing around of work, television, shopping and other diversions keep people busy as a substitue for relationships and are an attempt to fill the void.*

But I believe what I am doing now is more of life than if I were to continue working.* I am fortunate I can do this.

I admire what you are doing......... As far as loneliness goes, there's a famous quote form a guy whom I forgot: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #10

Sounds like you are having a good time. Enjoy yourself. I hope to do the same someday.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

I admire what you are doing......... As far as loneliness goes, there's a famous quote form a guy whom I forgot: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"
The quote is by Henry David Thoreau, but I don't think it applies to Dex. Maybe it did before he quit work, but for now he doesn't sound desperate at all. He's leading a life of quiet contemplation, or quiet exploration. Or, maybe not quiet at all, he's got jazz going!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I agree with everything you said (except my job was apparently more stressful than yours--but who cares, it's all in the past!).

I watch much less TV--I don't need it to distract me from worries or help me relax any more. Most days I never turn it on. One show I recently discovered that is unique is History Detectives:
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetect...out/index.html

Time to relax, do things well, take time to enjoy. It's fun to cook and do housework and other errands and chores when you have all the time in the world--no need to do chores when tired or in haste or at the last minute. Likewise, it's much less stressful to travel--no need to cram each day full of acitivities. Sundays are no longer almost as much of a bummer as Mondays (oh, no--all that work coming up).

Every day of the week is equally excellent--weekdays become like weekends. Tomorrow I'm driving up the coast to Georgetown, SC (an hour or so away) to spend the day with an old friend. When we join our friends on Edisto for the weekend, I can go down on Friday morning (or even earlier in the week if I like)--and I can stay later, too.

Time alone--as an introvert, I value that. I dislike being in a crowd or even all-day socializing with just a few people day after day.

Dex, you are one of the best on this forum at posting insightful comments about the feelings as opposed to the financials of FIRE. Thank you! Please keep posting while you travel.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
On a global note I think most people in the USA live lonely lives but, it is difficult to acknowlege or accept.* The rushing around of work, television, shopping and other diversions keep people busy as a substitue for relationships and are an attempt to fill the void.*
Agree Dex.

Ha
Old 08-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Nice post. Have you thought about maintaining a blog of your travels?*