On the Path - No. 3

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Two months to go...the staff still doesn't know I'm leaving but the boss does.

This is a strange phase. I guess you would call it the limbo phase. - I'm still doing my work (well I might add) but, I'm writting my list of thing I need to do and buy (small things for the RV). But the wheather is getting nice and I'm thinking - once everyone is told I'll start leaving early and delegate more work. I've always taken work very seriously, now I think I will do things more for me.

The emotions of doubt and fear are raising their heads but they have become more like campanions than adversaries. Sometimes I look at others at a higher level and say to myself - I could do a better job. If they pay me more I might stay. But then I think - I would be just as bored in a few months and is the extra/comprimises money really worth my life? No! I'll be laughing as I hike down and up the Grand Canyon in a year or two - when it suites me.

I'm dreaming of the adventures ahead and can not wait. It feels as if a weight is slowly being raised off my shoulders.

Oh gosh, I had to go through a period of keeping my pending retirement "secret" to allow my boss to handle some political fallout from a colleague quitting in anger at the time. It was awkward to say the least. So hush, hush for so long.

It was such a relief to finally be able to let my staff know. At that point we actually had some replacement hiring well under way, so it worked out OK.

Audrey

dex said:
Two months to go...the staff still doesn't know I'm leaving but the boss does.

This is a strange phase. I guess you would call it the limbo phase. - I'm still doing my work (well I might add) but, I'm writting my list of thing I need to do and buy (small things for the RV). But the wheather is getting nice and I'm thinking - once everyone is told I'll start leaving early and delegate more work. I've always taken work very seriously, now I think I will do things more for me.

The emotions of doubt and fear are raising their heads but they have become more like campanions than adversaries. Sometimes I look at others at a higher level and say to myself - I could do a better job. If they pay me more I might stay. But then I think - I would be just as bored in a few months and is the extra/comprimises money really worth my life? No! I'll be laughing as I hike down and up the Grand Canyon in a year or two - when it suites me.

I'm dreaming of the adventures ahead and can not wait. It feels as if a weight is slowly being raised off my shoulders.

I've been gone about 5 years now, and the things that I thought were important before I left seems so 'high school' now. Pretty juvenile. I though about the work I left behind for the first year or two, but it hardly even enters my mind now.

Cut-Throat said:
I've been gone about 5 years now, and the things that I thought were important before I left seems so 'high school' now. Pretty juvenile.

I've been gone the same time, just shy a few months. I felt the same way about the workplace when I went back after my sabbatical about a year before I left. 80-90% of our "work" was self-inflicted stupidity, silliness and kids games. :p

dex said:
This is a strange phase. I guess you would call it the limbo phase. - I'm still doing my work (well I might add) but, I'm writting my list of thing I need to do and buy (small things for the RV).  But the wheather is getting nice and I'm thinking - once everyone is told I'll start leaving early and delegate more work.  I've always taken work very seriously, now I think I will do things more for me.

Interesting - I have a month to go, and everyone knows I'm leaving, and I have been gradually handing off some of my responsibilities.  I am still heavily involved in one big project though, and someone remarked the other day that it was amazing that I am still working so hard when I could be slacking off.  Now, I don't work that hard, but I'm starting to wonder if I should keep on coming in so early...   :-\  And some of you know that I spend a fair amount of time on this site (~ dreaming ~ dreaming ~ dreaming ~).

So dex, I understand what you are saying!  And with the weather finally getting so nice here, I think that maybe it is time for a bit of slacking.

CJ

I worked pretty hard for my last few months!

It was because I wanted to leave things "tidy". I really wanted closure on a lot of things - tidy projects up, hand them over, etc. I wanted to be able to walk away and not look back, knowing I had done a reasonable job.

And I did! Only one email needing a password. That was it! Whew!!

Unfortunately - I had these occasional nightmares for a few years where I found myself back at work. Arrrrrgh!!!! What a relief to wake up from those!

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
I worked pretty hard for my last few months!
I spent most of my last month writing recommendation letters for people who'd earned them. My "ask me now" e-mail probably kicked a few fence-sitters into applying for their officer commissions.

I also wanted to make sure that EVERY topic was covered. That was one long turnover file but it apparently became corporate memory. I was told that my successors had to defend their original thinking several times when they were asked "Did Nords tell you to say that?"

I got handed the most radioactive project in the company.

And it was great fun. I didnt have to be concerned with any political ramifications or really anything other than ramrodding it through and producing a deliverable that nobody had been able to assemble for years. Took me less than 2 months.

Other than that, anything else that showed up was met with an "I'm leaving, wish you luck with that...and stay in touch!" email...

Back
Top Bottom