Join Early Retirement Today

One biggest "surprise" in retirement
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One biggest "surprise" in retirement

For the folks here who have already retired, what was the one (or more) thing that happened after you retired that surprised you the most or you did not expect? Can be related to any area of your life (finances, health, family, hobbies, personal growth, etc) and can be positive, negative, or neutral.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

positive...I don't know where I found the time to go to work.

negative ...I gained weight.....I have started to work on that now.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After 30+ years of go-go-go 75 hour weeks and non-stop international travel, running a mega-corp, I was mostly surprised (as was DW and all our friends) that I didn't get 'itchy' after a few months. DW told me later that she was terrified that I'd go nuts, but...no.

Seven-plus years and counting. No itch!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Administrator

I think the biggest surprise for us is that there were no surprises. Getting on for 3 years now and we are doing everything we hoped to do, and loving it. Life after w*rk is wonderful for us, so far.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

The biggest suprise has been the difference between how I expected to spend my days, and how I am actually spending them. It's hard to anticipate what will come along and pique your interest.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the biggest surprise for me has been how low my federal and state income tax bill is now.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised at how little I missed working. Initially I thought that I'd work part time to "keep busy". Ha!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Positive....We've been pulling funds out of our portfolio since March, 2009 and the portfolio is higher now than it was when DH retired. Our financial plan is working.

Negative...DH was diagnosed with cancer in December, 2010..

Summary...We're grateful we were able to retire early. Life is fleeting.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Biggest surprise: that despite my preconceptions, I had no idea what time of day was most natural for me to sleep. I am still working on that.

Another surprise: how long it takes to completely de-stress and kick back.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Biggest surprise: that despite my preconceptions, I had no idea what time of day was most natural for me to sleep. I am still working on that.

Another surprise: how long it takes to completely de-stress and kick back.
Took me almost 2 years to 'come down' off of that Type A lifestyle. Used to sleep about four hours...now I can log in 8 (if I don't have to get up in the middle of the night! )
Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

Retired 5.5 years ago. It's all good.

Used to sleep 5.5 hrs (alarm went off at 4:30am) and was always tired. Now sleep until 7-7:30 am (and wake up whenever I open my eyes). Everyone always comments on how well-rested and stress-free I appear.

I have a very unstructured life but I find that I am never bored. I read, spend a lot of time online, meet friends for lunch or dinner, have joined a bunch of meetup.com groups (going dining, hiking, kayaking, etc. with them).

I make time for exercise (walk 4 miles at least 3 times a week, etc.) so I simply feel much better than when I was working.

I travel fairly frequently, sometimes for a few days and sometimes for 3 weeks or more. I love the time flexibility that retirement affords.

One slight negative: a long-term (16+ years) relationship ended a few years into retirement, so I've had to rediscover life as a singleton. It was a bit lonely early-on, but I actually love spending time alone now.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

After a couple of years in ER, with occasional PT work, I noticed these surprises. 1) thought I would sleep better, but I don't, even though I am stress free. I guess the 8 hours (or even 5) of solid nonstop sleep are forever gone. 2) I enjoy a daily routine, unless traveling. I am not a happy camper if I cant start the day very slow with coffee and news on paper. 3) I save money better in retirement than I did working. I hope it doesn't degenerate into hoarding!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'll be watching this thread. I'm pulling the plug jan 1, and I don't want surprises. My problem is that I find that when I'm away from home, I have a hard time keeping occupied all day. At home, woodworking and home projects keep me busy all day on my days off work. I need to find a way to avoid the need to keep busy. I don't want to be surprised by a void that work was filling
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #14

I was surprised how easy it is to lose track of which day of the week it is. Friends gave me a day clock -- now I use it frequently because I can never remember what day it is.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only been retired a few months, but i thought (pre-retirement) that i wanted one planned activity for most days so i would not be idle. WRONG! WAY-WRONG. So many things come up, i cherish the days that are simply enjoying the day at home with no plans. I cannot fathom adding in anything else.

What should not have been un-expected, but still made me gasp: group health insurance is going up $200/month. That was a bit too soon for my liking.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #16

I guess the only surprise for me is how easy it is to fill my days in retirement (I've been retired for 2 yrs, 8 months). I've always had a lot of hobbies and interests, so I knew I wouldn't be bored in retirement, but it seems like the days go by now and I don't even have enough time to accomplish what I planned to accomplish that day or that week. But hey, that's the great thing about retirement.........if you don't get to it today, you can always do it tomorrow.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

5 yrs 5 months years FIREd

Positive...initially, I was surprised at how long it took me to chill out as a person. I always felt like I was supposed to be somewhere, doing something. This forum helped me get over that. I laugh when some of the email calendar reminders (things to do) pop up, residues from the first few years of FIRE. DELETE key!

Negative...emotional stuff. When I FIREd, I was 1.5 years into a start-over-again-after-widowhood relationship that did not pan out. My first 3 years of retirement were marred by all that nonsense. My voluntary unemployment caused some assumptions about external situations that I did not want to be subjected to.

Now it's smooth sailing.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

What surprised me the most was discovering how my sense of self-esteem was tied to an awareness of my "doing" something, rather than having "done" something.
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #19

Interesting thread, thanks for starting it.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

How long it is taking to "relax." One year anniversary and I'm still only 50% relaxed or comfortable.

I know you only asked for THE most surprising aspect, but other thing that is equally surprising is how the time get sucked up with activities and there is so much more to do...