One month into retirement and already a big problem!

madeit!

Dryer sheet aficionado
Maybe some of the ladies have some advice for me. I notice that my feet are vary calloused and dry from wearing only flipflops on them all of the time. Any beauty hints? Also, what should I do with all of those dreary khaki pants and "work casual" shorts and shoes in my closet?

My advise for you would be have one big garage sale and cleanse yourself of all those tacky old work clothes. There are probably some less fortunates in your area who would love to have those khaki pants. Goodwill and the Salvation Army also come to mind. Get those old things out of the closet asap. I wll never wear khaki pants, black "comfortable" :D :D shoes, or golf shirts again. Add business suites to the list also. I have one suit left, and it's red with a flirty skirt! I am much more inclined to be found in shorts, tees, and sandals than that unattractive stuff that I sported for too many years.

I avoid foot problems as a retiree by changing my choice of sandals daily. One can not have two many pairs of cute sandels. Oh, and a good pedicure once a month or so helps keep the toes looking good.

Welcome to the world of retirement! I have been in it about a year and a half now and can't imagine going back to the other side of life.....

Another guy from Raleigh! Take those khaki pants and chop the legs off - instant shorts! Based on the walmart clothes racks, that style is hip today anyway. Just trim the loose threads back every once in a while.

Flip flops causing problems? Just go barefoot.

Other shoes - toss all but 3 pairs. All you need is grass mowin shoes, tennis shoes and going to the store shoes. Maybe hiking boots.

(CAUTION - I have just provided the secret recipe to become a redneck)

http://www.barefooters.org/

Learned some new things there.. there aren't any "health code reasons" to ban bare feet in public places, nor is it illegal to drive barefoot!

FAQs about foot care and suggestions for shoes when you are "forced" to wear something. Also, database of reports on barefoot-friendly establishments in the US.

I knew a guy in Boston in the late '70s who went everywhere barefoot, even in the snow/slush. He said he just got used to it.

madeit! said:
I notice that my feet are vary calloused and dry from wearing only flipflops on them all of the time.  Any beauty hints?
You have to spend more time in Hawaii!

Your feet are going through an adjustment after years of suffocating confinement. They'll settle down in a couple months but there may be an alarming molt or two...

madeit! said:
Also, what should I do with all of those dreary khaki pants and "work casual" shorts and shoes in my closet?
They make excellent clothes for housepainting or changing the oil on your car.

Kids can have a lot of fun making Hallowe'en costumes out of them.

On a serious note, local charities like the YMCA or Goodwill have "dress for success" programs for women trying to get a job. Many of them are victims of domestic abuse or extended homelessness and don't have "work" clothes, and for them the initial outfitting can be a crippling expense. Your donation may give a new worker a leg up.

flipstress' footcare tips:

• Put lotion on your feet every night before going to bed.  In the winter, you can use some kind of oil (I forget which) and then put socks on.
  • Get a pedicure from a salon (or a cosmetology school to save money).  The cosmetologist will buff your calluses away.  Maybe you can learn to give yourself pedicures now that you are ER'd.  :) I've seen those foot spa's for like $20-$25 at department stores where you can soak your feet before doing your pedicures.
  • I think flip flops are bad for extended wear--no support.  Maybe get some Birkenstocks with better support and cushioning for your feet.

Congrats on the retirement, BTW!

Disclaimer:  'course I don't do these things--who has time?  (I'm not ER'd yet.)  I do have the Birkenstocks, though.

flipstress said:
flipstress' footcare tips:

• Put lotion on your feet every night before going to bed. In the winter, you can use some kind of oil (I forget which) and then put socks on.
  • Get a pedicure from a salon (or a cosmetology school to save money). The cosmetologist will buff your calluses away. Maybe you can learn to give yourself pedicures now that you are ER'd. :) I've seen those foot spa's for like $20-$25 at department stores where you can soak your feet before doing your pedicures.
  • I think flip flops are bad for extended wear--no support. Maybe get some Birkenstocks with better support and cushioning for your feet.

Congrats on the retirement, BTW!

Disclaimer: 'course I don't do these things--who has time? (I'm not ER'd yet.) I do have the Birkenstocks, though.

Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) is excellent for putting on before socks.

If you want to make the statement: "I'm retired, and I'll wear whatever I want to!" you can go with sandals and socks.

TromboneAl said:
If you want to make the statement: "I'm retired, and I'll wear whatever I want to!" you can go with sandals and socks.

Nope! - The fashion police would arrest you and throw you in the klink for that! - That is much harder on the eyes than streaking! :D

How about wingtips, dark socks and shorts?

TromboneAl said:
How about wingtips, dark socks and shorts?

I lived next door to a Russian who was always attired in a wifebeater undershirt, shorts and black combat boots when he mowed his lawn. No telling what his wardrobe will look like in retirement.

White dress shirt left over from the KC Wedding in July, Walmart coveralls, white tube socks, penny loafers. The loafers and dress shirt were Salvation Army.

Looked real sylish - putting Thompson's water seal on front porch railings/bannisters and floor deck boards.

heh heh heh heh heh

REWahoo! said:
I lived next door to a Russian who was always attired in a wifebeater undershirt, shorts and black combat boots when he mowed his lawn.  No telling what his wardrobe will
look like in retirement. 
Do I sense a competitive gauntlet being thrown here?

Get a pumice stone and spend some of your abundant spare time buffing your tootsies! I only wear shoes to work, and only when it rains. After retirement, not even that! Your feet don't need support, they need to run free!!

Nords said:
Do I sense a competitive gauntlet being thrown here?

My uncle, the eldest in the family at 85, mows the lawn in his jockey shorts and t-shirt.  His newest live-in girlfriend of about 75 doesn't mind.  He mows about ten minutes, goes in the house to watch a little baseball on TV, then back out again.  Usually a three-four hour job.  Sometimes he naps a bit too.  The good life. 

Apocalypse said:
My uncle, the eldest in the family at 85, mows the lawn in his jockey shorts and t-shirt. His newest live-in girlfriend of about 75 doesn't mind.

I’m not surprised at her attitude, knowing how liberated some younger women are these days. But surely his neighbors don’t approve of him parading around the yard wearing his tightey whiteys.

REWahoo! said:
I’m not surprised at her attitude, knowing how liberated some younger women are these days.  But surely his neighbors don’t approve of him parading around the yard wearing his tightey whiteys.

Who said they were still white?  Laundry money, detergent money, soap, etc., it's all Bingo money to him.  I'll bet he doesn't own ANY underwear that he paid for himself.  Thank God for nice girlfriends or wives.  They have all tried to civilize him to the best of their ability. :D His neighbors gave up years ago.

Although I love the foot & leg massage part, I hate having someone else cut or especially file my toenails. Maybe it's coz they always do them shorter than I do, but anyway it feels creepy to me.

I prefer to wrap a small square dowel with a piece of extremely fine-grit sandpaper and "hone" any callouses/dry skin and trim my own nails (no filing!). DH massages my feet/legs occasionally with cocoa butter...mmm...chocolate ;) That has the unintended but delightful side-effect of giving him soft hands.

Whew! Who would have thunk this subject had such universal interest. Seriously, I have begun the foot lotion and it works great. Sandals rule. I have dress up sandals, hiking sandals and my favorites, flip flops. My feet never felt better! I will be making a big clothing donation here soon. Shorts, t-shirts and maybe some Carhart jeans if it ever gets cold again from now on. Thanks for all of the advice.

60-grit, orbital sander. Be careful!

I snuck down to central California to snap this shot of CFB:

trash.jpg

TromboneAl said:
T-Al, are you sure that's CFB?

I can't really tell from the back, but it looks more like JG to me... and I'm pretty sure there's a scanner in that box he's pulling out of the dumpster!

TromboneAl said:

trash.jpg

Good grief, socks & sandals! Where are his combat boots?

Looks like CFB has a new business. Wonder where he's shipping that salami?

Back
Top Bottom