Join Early Retirement Today

One more off the list
Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One more off the list

I have a list of 'things to do before I die'. It includes stuff like:

1) Climb Ayers Rock
2) Barbeque a turkey on a beach at Xmas (where I am Xmas temperature is usually well below 0).
3) Stand under the midnight sun
etc. etc.

Number 3 is at hand. A friend in Whitehorse YT has a business trip to Inuvik NT in June. He has to drive (too much stuff to fly) and is mildly disabled (not physically capable of changing a tire, for instance). I'm going along for emergencies. Here's our route far enough north of the circle to get the midnight sun in mid June. Feels good (or will feel good) to have at least one done.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That's great! Should be quite an adventure...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never mind the polar bears, the Ice Worms will get ya, cheechako..
And, don't go where the huskies go, never eat the yellow snow.

Good luck and happy trails.

Hope you get to see the Aurora Borealis as well. They are spectacular. My first view was in the North Atlantic, up by Jan Mayen. Later, just north of Fairbanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

Not sure if you know, but the Australian Aborigines ask that you don't climb Ayers Rock as it is sacred to them. Many people choose to ignore the request and do so. However, you could probably get a better view by taking a helicopter ride, though that is unlikely to give you the same sense of satisfaction.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm jealous! You are going to really enjoy that trip. I wouldn't mind doing that some day myself. Glad to see you take another off the list.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very, very good Kumquat! I would do that without hesitation given that same opportunity. Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Awesome trip!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

you've raised an interesting topic. I'm sure we all have a "list". One thing on my list is to be in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve someday. Anybody else want to share what's on their list?
azauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #9

I'm back! Quite a trip. I have a lot of pictures but you can get better ones by googling "Dempster Highway". Unbelievable scenery.

Parts of the road are not as good as what you'll see from google. Here's the worst stretch

It is the ultimate devil of a road, built of crushed rock (not gravel) on top of permafrost. Destroyed 2 tires, had 1 fixed and came out on 2 that were leaking. 5 tire problems in 1000 miles! We carried 'only' 2 spares, others carry as many as 4.

Very popular with German tourists. We stopped several times to help others stopped along the road (and others stopped to help us with tire trouble). 50% had German accents. Here's a sign from the gas station where the Dempster starts:

Other threads complain about the price of gas. At the same station as the German sign you have gas at $1.69/litre. Translated with the C$ at par thats 1.69 * 3.78 = 6.38 per US gallon. This is in an area with as much oil and gas as the Alaskan North Slope. No wonder the natives are restless.

The dust was unbelievable. I grew up driving tractors in the 60's and our trusty vehicle had more dust in it than a tractor after a day in the field. Here it is at the end of the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0519.jpg (870.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0543.jpg (421.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0541.jpg (618.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0516.jpg (664.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

What a "cool" albeit dusty trip.

Thanks for sharing.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote