Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB57 View Post
I'm 56...been retired about a year. There's much to love about it, but I'm still not sure that it's right for me...yet.

Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again? If so, what?
No.

I have been retired for just over 3 years now and am sooooo glad I don't have to deal with the awful and often sickening commute. In my exit interview, I told the HR guy that even if I were offered the mostly telecommute gig I had for a few years I would turn it down because it included even ONE day of having to commute on the lousy trains to New Jersey.

The work I did most of the time was pretty good but even that declined over the years to become barely tolerable.

In sort, I prefer to have my money working endlessly and tirelessly for me than to have me working even part-time for my money! This Tuesday, the last weekday of the month, is my next "payday!" Yay!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
gone traveling

I wouldn't go back to that job, but I would work at something else. I would part-time as a ski instructor, ski patrol, groomer during winter at the ski resorts. I've got a TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe) that I'd consider hiring myself out to play in someone else's dirt.
skipro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

No. I liked my last job before I FIRE but I won't go back to it or any job unless I need the money.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #24

There was a time when I swore that I would never, ever, under any circumstances, work again. Obviously that changed.

But what did change is that I don't have what a lot of people say made them want to leave their jobs.

I don't have a lousy commute (mine is now 3.4 miles and if the traffic light is red it takes eight minutes).

I don't have a lousy boss. Actually he's a nice guy and easy to get along with.

With the exception of one person (there's always one isn't there?), who I generally only cross paths with once a month or so, everyone is easy to get along with and laid back. Almost all of them have their KMA hats and like me will leave in a heartbeat if things go bad. So it is well understood by management that if they abuse the staff they won't have a staff for long. Hey, they're all retired law enforcement. Those guys are not going to put up with much crap.

I don't have to get up at o'dark thirty. My hours are 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM, which suits my circadian rhythms just fine. I have yet to be denied a day when I really wanted/needed one.

Generally they don't have "management by crisis".

There is minimal paperwork and no heavy lifting.

And of course, doubling one's income is not a bad thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would go back to work only if I needed the money. As long as I can afford retirement I will stay at it, although at this time of year in the midwest I would not mind having a part time job in something interesting to fill the days. but spring is coming.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #26

I go back to a J*b for 10-12 weeks every Jan-April. It is more than sufficient for me to yearn to go back to retirement and making my own schedule and priorities. It's my Dog Days of Winter job when the weather in my Snowbelt town prevents most outdoor activities I enjoy.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
gone traveling

I was actually born to be retired ,but didn't have the means to do so. Money was the only reason I ever worked during my 41 years of paid employment. Not for the joy of accomplishment, standing in any organization, personal relationships, or any perceived impact upon the world.

Luckly, I reached "my number" in my late 50's. Maybe not ER, but good enough for me. Why would I ever return after meeting/exceeding my life goal?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I was actually born to be retired ,but didn't have the means to do so. Money was the only reason I ever worked during my 41 years of paid employment. Not for the joy of accomplishment, standing in any organization, personal relationships, or any perceived impact upon the world.

Luckly, I reached "my number" in my late 50's. Maybe not ER, but good enough for me. Why would I ever return after meeting/exceeding my life goal?

+1
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #29
Administrator

Let's see, other than money, what do I miss from work. Commuting, giving annual performance reviews, getting annual performance reviews, preparing yearly operating plans, matrix management systems, sales forecasts, year end audits, six sigma, global teleconferences, all those meetings, spending more than 250 days away from home. Most of all, office politics.

No, money would not offset any of this. There would have to be another compelling reason that is not financial, or a work opportunity that is free of all of the above.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

What if you got paid to post here?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Where do I sign up? As long as I had infinitely flexible hours, anyway....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There might be a line...

I knew I could find a job that would appeal to members here.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

You mean they're not paying you?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

A year is not enough time.

I RE at 53 after a very hectic and busy career that I truly loved. I needed a full two years to 'come down' and another year or so to stop thinking that every day was 'vacation'.

Other than money? Not even sure money would motivate me at this point. Not w*rking is the best thing I ever did! Like a lot of people, now I'm not sure how I found the time for a j*b!!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Interesting marko. I have been FI for many years but still worked 50% time because I enjoyed what I did and the people I worked with and the $$ and health benefits made things comfortable. Just recently decided to RE and was thinking I would at a minimum take a year off but it sounds like from your experience that a year is not enough.

Guess I'll have at least a year to rethink that plan.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB57 View Post
Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again?
Absolutely, positively NOT!!!

I went to school because I had to! I went to work because I had to! The opportunity to retire early and never have to work again presented itself, soon to be 5 years ago, and I jumped at it!!! Besides, even if I wanted to go back to work I couldn't.....I just don't have the time!!! I'm just way too dang busy enjoying my life and liberty, and pursuing happiness, to even attempt to squeeze in a job!!! I don't know how I ever found time to even have a job in the first place!!!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Everyone's different. Your mileage may vary!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked my job but I still wouldn't go back unless I had to for the money.
afntrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Writing doesn't pay as well as I thought it would!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again? If so, what?
Depends what you mean by "work" and exactly what the opportunity was.........

I relish mentoring and sharing what I've learned from the school of hard knocks with younger folks who are interested. I enjoy seeing people execute well thought out life plans and enjoy a meaningful, rewarding life. I got to do some of that in my final years at MegaCorp. And since I was modestly FI at the time, the pressure for career success was gone and I was able to really enjoy helping the next generation suceed with their careers while laying low with my own. Despite the fact that I got a nice buyout package and was launched into a survivable FIRE situation, I was actually a bit sad to see it end at 58 yo.

Even though I've been FIRE'd almost six years, I still have past subordinates keeping in touch to talk about career prospects, review resumes, conduct mock interviews, give recommendations, make introductions, etc. Yeah, yeah...... it's "work" related, but I enjoy it.

I'd do it some more if the situation presented itself. But I think the chances are zero, especially since I'm not looking.

There, I confessed.