Other than money...

ARB57

Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm 56...been retired about a year. There's much to love about it, but I'm still not sure that it's right for me...yet.

Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again? If so, what?

Not being retired, I can only answer thus: Other than money, there is no reason for me to continue working! Husband is retired; he would rather sell a kidney than go back to work.

Amethyst

Now where did I put that 10 foot pole?

Relax, honestly meant as a joke. :)

Just Google, there are good and bad articles on (early) retirement. This is a community of folks who are thriving in retirement by definition. May not be the best audience to ask.

Plenty of volunteer needs in the community if one feels the need to work but already has adequate funds.

Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again? If so, what?
I'm married, but if one day I find myself alone, I might get a part-time j*b. I don't think I'd be happy sitting at home all the time by myself. If I got out some, might as well earn a few bucks.

I'm 56...been retired about a year. There's much to love about it, but I'm still not sure that it's right for me...yet.

There were some aspects of my career (nursing) that were very rewarding for me, but I don't want to go back to all the negatives, and there were plenty of those too.

So other than money, no- nothing I can think of that would make me want to have a BOSS again. If I want to get that satisfaction of helping someone I will look to volunteer on my terms.

I'm finding freedom to be priceless.

I'm in a pretty unusual situation with respect to this question.

I've been working towards FIRE with my uber-complex Excel spreadsheet for at least 10-15 years. I had thought for the longest time that I would like to FIRE just so I could get away from having to do a bunch of stuff and just veg out.

Recently I've discovered a few surprising things that are changing my attitude and plans. First, I really like minimalism; I was minimalist before minimalism was cool; that means I need less stuff and therefore less money. Second, I actually get bored vegging out after a few days and am actually happier when I am uber-busy. Finally, I've realized lately that, for the most part, I actually like my job: I have a good boss, good colleagues, interesting stuff to work on, and the pay is really more than I expected.

On that last point, I know that things can and do change, so I'm still working towards FIRE, but now I think instead of screaming out of the building the day I hit FIRE, I may end up in the "I'll work as long as it's still fun and I want to" camp. Never thought I'd be in that spot.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
I'm in a pretty unusual situation with respect to this question.

I've been working towards FIRE with my uber-complex Excel spreadsheet for at least 10-15 years. I had thought for the longest time that I would like to FIRE just so I could get away from having to do a bunch of stuff and just veg out.

Recently I've discovered a few surprising things that are changing my attitude and plans. First, I really like minimalism; I was minimalist before minimalism was cool; that means I need less stuff and therefore less money. Second, I actually get bored vegging out after a few days and am actually happier when I am uber-busy. Finally, I've realized lately that, for the most part, I actually like my job: I have a good boss, good colleagues, interesting stuff to work on, and the pay is really more than I expected.

On that last point, I know that things can and do change, so I'm still working towards FIRE, but now I think instead of screaming out of the building the day I hit FIRE, I may end up in the "I'll work as long as it's still fun and I want to" camp. Never thought I'd be in that spot.

2Cor521

I dont consider your view point odd. I think there are some people that just kind of lump financial indepence with retirement. Once they get to the point of FI, they then analyze more and realize they are separate and continue working. I kind of split the middle. I have reached FI, but I continue to work 15 hours a week, because I like what Im doing even though its not really worth my time, financially.

I am really beginning to realize the difference between FI and RE. Once I hit FI the RE has become a less clear priority. My job is quite varied, I make my own schedule and only have to endure one meeting a year and an annual review-which I really don't care about.

It seems we all have FI as a goal. And a majority have RE as a goal, but not all. Most people aren't lucky enough to find a job they actually enjoy. The minority who can get paid for work they enjoy, can't be faulted for deferring retirement. Nor can those who choose retirement.

I've been retired for over 4 years now. No desire. I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I was back in the courtroom. I kept saying to myself, "but this is a dream" but couldn't wake myself out of it! I create my own stress now. I'm taking mixed martial arts with mostly a bunch of kids. I don't practice enough and can't seem to get my kick high enough. Really if you want to return to the stressful days of work you can create it yourself. Just look around!

No.
DH, OTOH, works a part-time job "because he wanted something to do". Turns out it's something he really, really likes, pays well, and his boss is willing to work with him in reference to his hrs so we can still do what we want to do.

We both work at home and retirement will simply mean moving from mostly computer work to more creative art work. I enjoy the challenge of learning new things, so I doubt if I'll ever fully retire, and I expect to try to turn the creative side into a side business (more creative blogging, websites, etc). But I sense it will be more about volunteering to do stuff for non-profit organizations that need the help rather than strictly for the money.

I have also been retired now for almost a year. I guess I'm still on the retirement honey moon. Every now and then I think about how it would be to have to return to work and that's when I realize how much I enjoy my "freedom to do whatever I want". The answer to your question is a definite "no".

I have often stated here that I enjoy my sporadic part-time work, and am not thinking about quitting yet. Still, I will not deny that the money has something to do with it.

Suppose I wake up tomorrow, and find that my net worth has somehow miraculously doubled. I don't think I would find the current work I am doing that much fun anymore.

Or suppose I no longer get the kind of work that I have been doing. I would settle down and spend more time figuring out our finance in order to quit working for real. I will not go do any work that I don't feel like doing.

So, all I can say is it depends! I am taking it as it comes. And as long as I have plenty of time left to putz around, the part-time work does not take away from my life as it is not stressful. Well, 90% of the time anyway.

...Really if you want to return to the stressful days of work you can create it yourself. Just look around!
Yes, like I stressed myself out driving the MH into narrow Idaho mountain roads, or across windy stretches of the open prairie of Wyoming. And I am still thinking about driving it to the Arctic Ocean.

Last edited:

I am very vulnerable to feeling responsible to pitch in during an emergency, if I felt that my presence was crucial. However, the longer I am retired, the more I realize that my unit is managing to function and get things done even without me (imagine that! :LOL:). I am both a little wistful, and also proud knowing that they have stepped up to the plate as well as they have during emergencies.

So, in short my answer is "no".

Ten months in retirement thus far, I would not go back to work unless it was absolutely necessary to have the paycheck.

The sheer bliss of not having a commute, no monthly reports, no pressure to grow business, no office politics.

Go back to those? Not likely, unless starvation is the other option.

So, my answer is a most emphatic NO.

No.

I have been retired for just over 3 years now and am sooooo glad I don't have to deal with the awful and often sickening commute. In my exit interview, I told the HR guy that even if I were offered the mostly telecommute gig I had for a few years I would turn it down because it included even ONE day of having to commute on the lousy trains to New Jersey.

The work I did most of the time was pretty good but even that declined over the years to become barely tolerable.

In sort, I prefer to have my money working endlessly and tirelessly for me than to have me working even part-time for my money! This Tuesday, the last weekday of the month, is my next "payday!" Yay!

I wouldn't go back to that job, but I would work at something else. I would part-time as a ski instructor, ski patrol, groomer during winter at the ski resorts. I've got a TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe) that I'd consider hiring myself out to play in someone else's dirt.

No. I liked my last job before I FIRE but I won't go back to it or any job unless I need the money.

There was a time when I swore that I would never, ever, under any circumstances, work again. Obviously that changed.

But what did change is that I don't have what a lot of people say made them want to leave their jobs.

I don't have a lousy commute (mine is now 3.4 miles and if the traffic light is red it takes eight minutes).

I don't have a lousy boss. Actually he's a nice guy and easy to get along with.

With the exception of one person (there's always one isn't there?), who I generally only cross paths with once a month or so, everyone is easy to get along with and laid back. Almost all of them have their KMA hats and like me will leave in a heartbeat if things go bad. So it is well understood by management that if they abuse the staff they won't have a staff for long. Hey, they're all retired law enforcement. Those guys are not going to put up with much crap.

I don't have to get up at o'dark thirty. My hours are 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM, which suits my circadian rhythms just fine. I have yet to be denied a day when I really wanted/needed one.

Generally they don't have "management by crisis".

There is minimal paperwork and no heavy lifting.

And of course, doubling one's income is not a bad thing.

I would go back to work only if I needed the money. As long as I can afford retirement I will stay at it, although at this time of year in the midwest I would not mind having a part time job in something interesting to fill the days. but spring is coming.

Back
Top Bottom