Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a retirement blog I read (not sure of this forum's rules or etiquette, so I won't name the blog here) that has a feature on side jobs. Two that caught my eye as possibilities were dog walker/sitter, and parking lot cleaner.

Not sure what the money is like, but I love dogs and it should be low stress.

Cleaning up parking lots is definitely not glamorous, but the job had some nice benefits: flexible hours (so long as it's outside of business hours), you get some exercise, time to yourself (you could listen to podcasts, audiobooks, etc.). I can't remember what the money was like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I do a little consulting on eminent domain cases. Interesting, but becoming a PITA. I have to be there for the client whenever the client desires, and that's a problem now that I have 100% retirement freedom.
I have already eliminated my profession (attorney) as a part-time gig for this reason. I recently had a family friend try to recruit me to support some start-up venture he was getting involved in. In his voice mail, he said I could choose my hours, work as much or as little as I wanted, etc., etc.

I called him back and got his voice mail. I said I wouldn't be able to connect the rest of that day (Saturday) and did not discuss business on Sundays, but could talk first thing Monday.

Disregarding that, he called me five times that Saturday and Sunday, sent me a couple of text messages, and then called my wife to complain I wasn't being responsive. And he wasn't even a client yet!

When we finally did connect, I made it short and sweet: Thanks, but I'm not interested.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #22

Mow grass. It's great exercise and if you have a good mower, you can make $60 an hour. Cash.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

3 more gigs that I have considered that could work for OP:

1. Drive new cars between dealers that are being used for dealer trades.

2. Drive a hospital van that picks up people and and brings them to the hospital for tests

3. Substitute teacher.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I think I may pursue going reduced work hours .. maybe 32hr weeks, in a year or so.
I can tolerate the TSP reports for awhile but, the commute is starting to kill me.
I commute 1hr each way. That much sitting in traffic each day is making me feel like cr@p at the end of the day, not to mention the wasted time.
My firm provided health insurance as long as you were 50% or more... most other benefits were pro rata (50% of FTE vacation allowance, etc.). I did that for many years before I finally retired.

How much do you need/spend? From what you posted in other threads there should be no need for you to even work part-time unless you are really keen to. What does FIRECalc say you can spend with 95% success?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #25

I continue to do some very part time legal consulting - I enjoy it but would have no problem walking away if I lose interest.

I'm doing a degree in English Literature and was "asked" to teach an undergrad class last semester. I enjoyed it and if the opportunity to teach again comes up, I'd probably do it. Strictly part time of course.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I maintain my professional Certifications, and I do Real Estate Appraisals for the Dept of Veterans Affairs. I only work 3 days a week and can generate a nice cash-flow, and still have time for recreational activities. I enjoy talking with the Vets that I meet, they have the most interesting stories to tell.

The VA is considered the Gold Standard of Appraisal work, and it took me a long time to climb up to that hilltop. My Certifications are renewable every 2 years -- I may continue this cushy gig until RMD's kick in.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
3 more gigs that I have considered that could work for OP:

1. Drive new cars between dealers that are being used for dealer trades.
Wow, a blast from the past. I used to do that in high school. That was a fun job. The plus (especially for a high school kid) was that they were usually nice cars.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Tax preparation. .... I did that for a few years. Takes only 160 hours of education + exams + bond + additional 20 hours per year to become/remain certified. Full work load possible (up to 40hrs week × 24 weeks) January - April, September - October. Light when quarterlies are due unless you work for a storefront. Then it's just February - tax deadline (so 10 weeks). My salary dropped to $25 an hour (15k yr) but that was fine.
gayl, sounds like EA, is that right?

Of course, the "Job replaced by robot" thread points to a site you can check. Says tax preparers have a 99% chance of being replaced by a robot. Ah, but they do know Congress and the IRS are involved, right?
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Gigolo is often brought up in this forum.
Now we're talking!!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom retired and is an usher for the baseball cardinals. She loves it. She gets to meet people and watch good baseball. I would be miserable in August.
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
We have vastly different definitions of reasonable.

I can't tell if you're saying 100 bucks is too high or too low. By the time you factor in self employment tax, zero benefits, wear and tear on equipment etc it seems reasonable.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #32

I experience the occasional "wife swoop." That's enough of a side gig for me.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Gigolo is often brought up in this forum.

Get off my corner.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Mow grass. It's great exercise and if you have a good mower, you can make $60 an hour. Cash.
Not around here, it's more like $25 / hr.
Competition is the lawn companies with the $2,000 machines, and 3 guys who can do a large lawn in 15-20 minutes easy.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
...... my solution was to work an extra year or two at my regular job..... I was able to go part time and work from home. At ~$60/hr it was a lot better than finding something a small fraction of that rate.
Another year at your job might be worth 5 years or more of working something like you are talking about. ....
+1
Most jobs basically suck, in that some boss tells you what to do, in less time than it takes to be sure it's a great job.
Many people think some other job will be so much better, but end up hating it too as there is that boss telling them what to do again!

My view is also that it's MUCH better to work 1 more year at a high paying job, than to slog to work for 5 more years at some low pay job. Especially as at the low pay job, the boss has zero respect for you since anybody can do that job that requires no skill.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I can't tell if you're saying 100 bucks is too high or too low. By the time you factor in self employment tax, zero benefits, wear and tear on equipment etc it seems reasonable.
While I whole heartily agree with you. I just cant grasp these numbers. I remember working in 1983 as an armed guard for $6.50 an hour on the books.(side job) I thought it was good money. According to the inflation calculator, that $6.50 is valued at $15.96 an hour. I was offered a job off the books at $50 an hour. Quick math showed me if i was to be paid on the books I needed $100 and hour. Needless to say the number was/is so high I was talking to a dial tone after a few seconds. I'm sure the poster looking for a 100 an hour is worth double that. Its just my brains inflation calculator hasn't caught up to reality.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #37

I work about 10 hours a week for my son who has a heating and cooling business. It's been fun working with him and I have learned a lot about HVAC. We have gotten along very well and this helps to pay our insurance. I also have cleaned out my house via eBay and helped some friends get rid of their junk for a little cash.

In retirement I learned I don't mind working, just not like I did "downtown" for 34 years.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Had a friend in FL who drove a shuttle bus from a hotel to the airport for a couple of years in early retirement. $15 an hour and very interesting. Another friend tried Uber and also did not make enough $ to offset the wear and tear (on the car). He found the best time to work is when bars are closing, but he was too tired to keep that up! I know a manager at a tire company looking for box truck drivers, $15 an hour, to deliver tires to dealerships locally. He literally cannot find anyone to hire due to drug screens, credit checks and past driving records. A guy showed up last week for an interview wearing shorts and flip flops............
that would have been me! shorts, flops, drug screens
but, I can drive anything that I can start including backing a trailer through an obstacle course.

I did consider finding something prt time jut to kill time. but, I've not got there yet.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Had a friend in FL who drove a shuttle bus from a hotel to the airport for a couple of years in early retirement. $15 an hour and very interesting. Another friend tried Uber and also did not make enough $ to offset the wear and tear (on the car). He found the best time to work is when bars are closing, but he was too tired to keep that up! I know a manager at a tire company looking for box truck drivers, $15 an hour, to deliver tires to dealerships locally. He literally cannot find anyone to hire due to drug screens, credit checks and past driving records. A guy showed up last week for an interview wearing shorts and flip flops............
My car was crashed (and totaled) by an airport shuttle bus driving by someone in his 60s last October. He came out of parking lot with a stop sign, but he did not see my car.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #40

I always thought that purgatory was driving the shuttle bus around the loop at the LAX airport.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote