Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
that would have been me! shorts, flops, drug screens
but, I can drive anything that I can start including backing a trailer through an obstacle course.

I did consider finding something prt time jut to kill time. but, I've not got there yet.

Either someone is going to have to develop a drug screen for marijuana better than showing someone smoked a joint sometime in the last month, or they're soon going to have to stop screening. Saw an article last month that said many small companies in Colorado and Oregon have stopped the practice.
Flip Flop screening works well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I always thought that purgatory was driving the shuttle bus around the loop at the LAX airport.
I would think so too, but a BIL does it at a VA hospital and likes it. The job even pays $11 & change an hour. He started out doing it on a volunteer basis and then when a FT driver quit they hired him.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #43

I sold my house in Virginia and moved to the Colorado mountains. I have been building my house for the last three years or so. It doesn't pay anything but I should save around $75k on construction costs. It is a lot of work, but definitely on my own schedule. It does not interfere with skiing at all. My house is also getting built exactly the way I want! I also live on the construction site in an old motor home that was given to me. Basically no housing costs and no commute. For me it isn't a bad gig, but I have been known to be a bit of a Hermit.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
+1
Most jobs basically suck, in that some boss tells you what to do, in less time than it takes to be sure it's a great job.
Many people think some other job will be so much better, but end up hating it too as there is that boss telling them what to do again!

My view is also that it's MUCH better to work 1 more year at a high paying job, than to slog to work for 5 more years at some low pay job. Especially as at the low pay job, the boss has zero respect for you since anybody can do that job that requires no skill.
Very good point!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I plan on doing what I do now in retirement....massage therapy 10-15 appointments a month gives me $800-$1200 in income, no rent since I work out of the home, just the therapy gel and laundry of sheets. We also do woodworking and odd handyman type jobs to bring in some extra cash.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #46

lol,
for most of my life I had visions of owning my own bakery, sort of a family trait. anyhoo after I got laid off from mega corp I went to culinary school and.....they worked me like a Hebrew slave. lol.....

after I finished I realized one thing, owning your own restaurant is a lot of work so I got a p/t job working in a bakery. I get to bake without the hassle of the ownership.

I enjoy it. the only thing I probably dislike is the early mornings. I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning.

Now imo I've never heard of retirees having an issue with bosses. My dad worked at Home depot and loved it. first of all maybe it's an age thing but they found that the retirees were dependable, knowledgeable and polite. they treated him like a king, kept trying to get him to go full time.

My boss is the same. Maybe it's because they know we are retired and not going to take much crap off of anyone.

That is the great thing about working when you are FI. I do it because I want to. I love it because I have no responsibility but to show up and work
Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
lol,
for most of my life I had visions of owning my own bakery, sort of a family trait. anyhoo after I got laid off from mega corp I went to culinary school and.....they worked me like a Hebrew slave. lol.....

after I finished I realized one thing, owning your own restaurant is a lot of work so I got a p/t job working in a bakery. I get to bake without the hassle of the ownership.

I enjoy it. the only thing I probably dislike is the early mornings. I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning.

Now imo I've never heard of retirees having an issue with bosses. My dad worked at Home depot and loved it. first of all maybe it's an age thing but they found that the retirees were dependable, knowledgeable and polite. they treated him like a king, kept trying to get him to go full time.

My boss is the same. Maybe it's because they know we are retired and not going to take much crap off of anyone.

That is the great thing about working when you are FI. I do it because I want to. I love it because I have no responsibility but to show up and work
If I ever make it to South Philly again, and I order a dozen Cannolis and Napoleons, you think you can "throw"me a rainbow cookie while I wait for you to put extra powdered sugar on them?. And please dont put too many knots in the string on the box, I still play Cats Cradle with it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a televangelist. Lost of money there and you could set your own hours.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Part time gig ideas for retirement?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I recently started doing subtitle translations for TV shows as a freelancer. I am so happy that I've found this gig because I'm having such a great time with it.

I only take projects (TV shows) I am interested in, and I only do it part-time. There are no tight deadlines. I can do it from home and I set my own schedule. (Actually I have no particular schedule except to get the project done by the due date.) It's a great exercise for my brain and it keeps me entertained to no end.

I haven't decided how I will spend the extra money yet. I used to spend hours doing different things to keep me occupied, and now, this gig occupies that time and I am getting paid for it.

Life is good.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #50

work?.png
Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I recently started doing subtitle translations for TV shows as a freelancer. I am so happy that I've found this gig because I'm having such a great time with it.
Wow, that sounds really interesting. Are you translating into English or some other target language?

I speak German, Spanish, and English fluently, so have considered part-time work doing translation... just need to get past my "allergy to work."
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I ran away to the circus, which has been my passion for the last 15 years or so as an aerialist. I now work as their secretary two half days a week for about $400 a month - enough to pay for my health insurance premiums. I couldn't be happier overall with my time freedom. I volunteer another day of the week at a wildlife rehab center, but no pay there. On my open days, I work out at kettlebell and yoga studios, ride bikes, work on house and garden projects and enjoy life. Frankly, I couldn't be happier, and glad I'm not working full time even with something I enjoy. This is my dream life as a retiree and I'm making it a reality.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Had a friend in FL who drove a shuttle bus from a hotel to the airport for a couple of years in early retirement....
A guy showed up last week for an interview wearing shorts and flip flops............
I was thinking of something that involved driving. I do enjoy it. But shorts and flop-flops IS the official uniform of retirees. Not sure I'd want to change just yet.

Along the same lines, I wonder if any construction company wants a part-time operator of some of the smaller equipment. I don't pretend I can drive the real heavy equipment like the pros, but I could handle a bobcat.

Quote:
That's also an interesting one. Often when I read an article in a magazine or newspaper (on line or in print) I notice the obvious need for some editorial help. Again, I'm not an English major, nor a great writer, but I'm pretty good at spotting other people's mistakes.

The thing is, I'd want something part-time, and on my schedule. I already had to step away from one organization I volunteered with because I'd advanced in positions to the point where it was almost full time.

Keep the ideas coming!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
Wow, that sounds really interesting. Are you translating into English or some other target language?

I speak German, Spanish, and English fluently, so have considered part-time work doing translation... just need to get past my "allergy to work."

I translate Japanese TV shows into English. I am a native Japanese speaker, so my English isn't perfect, but they seem to be OK with it. In fact, they gave me several tests, but these are just TV shows, not novels or anything that may require someone with a degree in literature...

This really doesn't feel like wo*k to me. I was going to do business translations, but that wouldn't have been fun at all. The deadlines were very tight, usually within 36 hours regardless of the length of the material, and the materials looked VERY boring.

What I said to myself when I started working in the IT industry was "Boy, I used to have to pay tuition to learn, and now, I am getting paid to learn." This TV show gig feels kind of like that. They provide me with fun stuff to do, and I get paid for it. I have been translating crime shows, and I get pulled into the storyline, which is part of the fun. I did a couple of variety shows too, but they were just way too bizarre, absurd and extremely annoying.

There may be a demand for this in the languages you are fluent in.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I play in a few bands and earn some gig money, but it's not very much...from $1000 - $2000 a year. Music is a hobby and none of us need the money, but we do charge the going rate for bands in our area.

I've also taken on a few handyman jobs. It wasn't my intent to do this, but it started when an acquaintance commented that she got a quote for $600 to replace an exterior door. Since she had already purchased the new door, the $600 was just for the install. I ended up replacing the door in 2 hours and was paid $300. Then she recommended me to a friend, and that friend recommended me to another friend...

I don't really want to "w*rk" during my retirement, so the only handyman jobs I take on are easy with no potential of hidden problems....replacing doors windows, repairing drywall, replacing light fixtures, etc.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
While I whole heartily agree with you. I just cant grasp these numbers {$100/hour}. I remember working in 1983 as an armed guard for $6.50 an hour on the books.(side job) I thought it was good money. According to the inflation calculator, that $6.50 is valued at $15.96 an hour. I was offered a job off the books at $50 an hour. Quick math showed me if i was to be paid on the books I needed $100 and hour. Needless to say the number was/is so high I was talking to a dial tone after a few seconds. I'm sure the poster looking for a 100 an hour is worth double that. Its just my brains inflation calculator hasn't caught up to reality.
In my field (well, semi-former field) of IT and software development, $100/hour for an experienced consultant or contractor is not at all unheard of. I made a bit more than that when I left the full-time gig and did hourly consulting work for my previous employer for a few years. I remember my boss not even batting an eye when I proposed that $100+ hourly rate.

And then, of course, there are lawyers. You'd feel like you hit the jackpot if you could find a good, competent lawyer to handle a legal issue for you for only $100/hour.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I play in a few bands and earn some gig money, but it's not very much...from $1000 - $2000 a year. Music is a hobby and none of us need the money, but we do charge the going rate for bands in our area.

I've also taken on a few handyman jobs. It wasn't my intent to do this, but it started when an acquaintance commented that she got a quote for $600 to replace an exterior door. Since she had already purchased the new door, the $600 was just for the install. I ended up replacing the door in 2 hours and was paid $300. Then she recommended me to a friend, and that friend recommended me to another friend...

I don't really want to "w*rk" during my retirement, so the only handyman jobs I take on are easy with no potential of hidden problems....replacing doors windows, repairing drywall, replacing light fixtures, etc.
I have a neighbor who 'retired' a few years ago and started doing small handyman jobs around the local area. I just noticed today on Nextdoor that he is looking to hire a helper since he has j*b commitments 6 months out. I'd venture to guess that he's not retired anymore.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

And then, of course, there are lawyers. You'd feel like you hit the jackpot if you could find a good, competent lawyer to handle a legal issue for you for only $100/hour.
The first thing I would think if I saw an attorney for *only* 100/hr is that there is no way they are good or competent.

*If* I decide practice law (highly unlikely) after my law school "experiment", no way I would w*rk that cheap. But, since it would involve w*rk, then it probably won't be happening.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have a neighbor who 'retired' a few years ago and started doing small handyman jobs around the local area. I just noticed today on Nextdoor that he is looking to hire a helper since he has j*b commitments 6 months out. I'd venture to guess that he's not retired anymore.
Yup...that's the definition of no longer retired. I'm very selective in the handyman jobs I take and turn down more than I accept. I don't take on anything hard, messy, that will take a long time, or that has the potential to have hidden problems. It averages out to 2 or 3 tasks a month, most of which take 1-4 hours.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #60

Quote:
I translate Japanese TV shows into English. I am a native Japanese speaker, so my English isn't perfect, but they seem to be OK with it.
You're fortunate. I've done professional translation work in the past and there was always an ironclad rule that you could only translate into your native language, not out of it. Didn't matter how fluent you were in other languages -- that was just the rule.