Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first thought was that both of the people you cited are on a control trip of some sort and just want to be in authority, telling others what to do. That seems to be an obvious part of their reaction. Another response you can give is that you are giving up the opportunity for "contribution" to some younger person, so they can have a better job. Also, you are still contributing from the demand side of the economy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Many people like the venture capitalists mentioned in Posting #1 have not prepared themselves for retirement. Their jobs are their lives.

But we all only have "X" number of days on this earth. Some choose spending their days working. Some choose to do other things.

I was very prepared to retire at age 58 1/2. And I've not looked back.

We're avid RV'ers, and have seen so many other campers work to age 65 or 70--only to have serious health issues where they lose mobility or have heart problems. And every one of them was sorry they didn't hang up the jobs 10 or 15 years earlier.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #23
gone traveling

We are always better off when we stop worrying about what others think.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #24

Your VC friends travel in rare-air and probably enjoy that (and the power and influence) as much as you enjoy retirement. It's easy to see how those kinds of folks don't retire.

A former employee once commented that one year's worth of our CEO's salary and he'd retire. I responded - and that's why neither of us would ever be CEO. They have a different drive and view the rewards differently.

But that doesn't give them a right to judge. Just because you are not being a master of the universe shouldn't even be put into some statement about not contributing to society. I realize there's only so much you can say in response at a polite dinner party, but "oh but I'm contributing via raising my family, and via school volunteering so much more" should at least give them pause.

The woman with the husband at your school, that sounds to me like a deeply unhappy marriage...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

One of my light bulb moments on whether we really had enough to retire was reading an article on VCs partners worth billions and how driven they were and always lived in fear of missing the next Google or Facebook. The only one that had slowed down had serious health issues.

I'm never going to be a billionaire but it made me realize that the getting over having "enough" to kick back and enjoy life was more a mental issue after a certain point than an actual financing issue. If the VCs had all that money and weren't using it to buy a life that didn't include stress and fear then what good was it? I think for some people it is hard to stop the accumulation phase so maybe those that are irrationally upset by others retiring early are really projecting their own fears.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #26

I believe for those folks it's all about being surrounded by people who make them the center of attention. Once some get used to that, they value it so much they can't give it up. The presidential candidates mentioned above would be prime examples, IMHO.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They think we are crazy and we think they are crazy. I'm glad we all get to make our own choices.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

The husband was SHOCKED that I was retired. I was too young, I must get bored, I was doing a disservice to myself and the world by not "contributing". I pointed out that I was happier than I'd ever been. (And this was confirmed to him by my sister and my husband.) He still felt I should be working.

The one advantage of being a litigator--I don't think anyone has mentioned my moral obligation to continue contributing when informed that I am soon to retire! (DW, OTOH, has gotten a fair amount of that from some of her patients and other docs.)

Agree--no skin off of our back.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I think I'm going to start telling people I'm unemployed instead of retired.

Instead of getting social security, I'll say I'm on government assistance.

I gave up looking for a job because I'm old and have grey hair.

They'll probably reach in their pocket and give me a few bucks -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I find it bizarre that someone you don't know well would make those judging comments at a dinner party. Maybe they can't afford to retire and maintain their lifestyle so are jealous. My DH lost his job at 53 and could not find another so he had to take his pension early. He works any chance he gets 4 years later. It is mostly project work that ends. I retired at 58 not because I was sick of the work but I was sick of being tied to the office. They did give me 1 day/week to work from home hoping that I would not leave. If they would have let me come in 1 day/week to see my clients and then work from home I would not have retired at 58. Within 6 months I was bored but then came an opportunity to teach an online college class which I love doing. I can do it from anywhere so it has not affected vacations. For me this is perfect. We each have our own office and TV areas so I think that has helped. We do some things together like a daily walk but not everything. It was an adjustment because he lost his job right after I retired but 4 years later we have adjusted.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Normally I fly under the radar when out and about - but in the past 3 days I've run into folks who absolutely, emphatically believe I'm too young to retire, and that they want to control when other people (around them) retire.
I would take such a comment as a compliment that someone feels I have the talent and ability to do useful work. OTOH if the comments show hostility it suggest the commenter is troubled or not sociable, and I might choose to associate with other people instead.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
This checks with what many people have said to me. At least half the people I discuss retirement wth say something along the lines of "I'll never retire, I'd be too bored."

I think that shows a lack of imagination, but whatever.
Definitely a lack of imagination!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I noticed the big hat, no cattle types (from The Millionaire Next Door book) seemed shocked to hear we retired early. I think they assumed we were poor instead of frugal and saving money.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #34

For those speculating that the VC couple are less wealthy than they appear.... you'd be wrong. I think they just don't get it.

As for the librarian who won't let her husband retire... Yeah, that seems very controlling.

No worries... these aren't close friends... and I don't care what they think of my early retirement.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
For those speculating that the VC couple are less wealthy than they appear.... you'd be wrong. I think they just don't get it.

I think it's just a different wiring. They're probably a Type-A power couple, who would be bored to tears in retirement. No different from an extrovert who can't comprehend how or why an introvert would rather stay in on a Saturday evening.

As for the lady who wouldn't "let" her husband retire, I imagine there's a long list of things she doesn't "let" her husband do. Yikes! I'm just glad that that's not my marriage.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I think the reasons are as varied as the meaning of "retirement."

My DW's parents are very well off. They own several businesses that keep them VERY, VERY occupied and they just don't let up even though they are quickly approaching their 70s and aren't in the greatest physical shape health wise. Financially speaking, there is no reason for them to continue to work. They are also keenly aware that if they happen to die before the businesses are "wrapped up", they will be liquidated. They have 3 children and NONE of them have shown interest in nor have they worked in any of the businesses.

Another example is my DW's boss...she is 74 years old and showing signs of dementia that is causing issues. In the last couple of weeks, her husband has been in the hospital to remove a tumor and then have a stint put in his heart. He will probably have bypass surgery within the month but yet she has been going to work incessantly. They are also in the process of going through a merger and the writing is on the wall that her services will no longer be needed, but she keeps on keeping on and making everyone's life miserable in the office.

I can't understand it myself. I am quite happy to be retired and am somewhat lucky that I was able to do it earlier than later in life...I have absolutely ZERO desire to ever have a j*b ever again.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #37

I know people like that. I vacillate between feeling sorry for them and envying them.

But I am happy where I am, doing what I am doing (which ain't much)...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I believe most people are afraid of losing their income source. Others either love their job too much or don't know what else to do if they quit their job. It takes certain personality to retire early, and they are happier for it. I feel sorry for those who hate their work but continue to work despite they have enough to retire.
I think you maybe right. After I retired I had serious panic attacks, even a double, triple checking the numbers. I've worked steadily since I was 16 and the thought of not having a paycheck was scary.

Almost every person who I tell I'm retired ALWAYS ask me " whatcha" going to do all day. My reply "whatever I want"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Almost every person who I tell I'm retired ALWAYS ask me " whatcha" going to do all day. My reply "whatever I want"
At 66 I no longer get that question but I did when I retired at 52. But given my job (police officer) it was fairly normal to retire at that age. Trust me, with some very rare exceptions you really don't want 60-year-old police officers still working.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At 66 I no longer get that question but I did when I retired at 52. But given my job (police officer) it was fairly normal to retire at that age. Trust me, with some very rare exceptions you really don't want 60-year-old police officers still working.
My experience has been similar - retired at 58 and got a lot of comments about being "too young" to retire. Now as an "old fart" of 71 it's apparently socially acceptable to be retired.