Join Early Retirement Today

People's retirement dreams....Spock's needs some work
Old 05-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People's retirement dreams....Spock's needs some work

This is interesting and funny.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dunno - satisfaction seems the best way to exist to me. Either Spock's or the guy who is living the dream from the time his feet hit the ground. How the power bill and oatmeal get paid for wasn't really covered...
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Most posters here on this forum already live their dreams. Fridge and pantry stocked with food (and booze for those who drink). Fast internet to surf and to shoot the breeze here on this forum, and to order "stuff" from Amazon. Foreign and/or domestic travel if a change of scenery is desired. A roof over one's head to keep out the cold, and AC to cool the heat. Many here have two homes to go back/forth between.

What to complain about? What more does one need?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #4

Mr. Spock should have done his homework.

Spending Retirement on Planet Vulcan: The Impact of Longevity Risk Aversion on Optimal Withdrawal Rates

It sounds very logical to me.

Quote:
To isolate the impact of longevity risk on optimal portfolio retirement withdrawal rates, we placed our deliberations on Planet Vulcan, where investment returns are known and unvarying, the inhabitants are rational and utility- maximizing consumption smoothers, and only life spans are random.
Quote:
On Planet Vulcan, financial wealth must be depleted at the very end of the life cycle (say, age 120) and bequest motives are nonexistent.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I was surprised at how different all those retirement dreams were from one another. None of them sounded as good to me as my wonderful daily life in retirement.

Guess the take-away for me was that retirement bliss is very individual, and it is a DIY project.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was surprised at how different all those retirement dreams were from one another. None of them sounded as good to me as my wonderful daily life in retirement.

Guess the take-away for me was that retirement bliss is very individual, and it is a DIY project.
I think most of those people had never given 2 seconds of thought to "what" retirement would look like for them. It's exponentially easier to give a rational answer to such a question if it's one you've been contemplating and a goal you've been actively looking forward to for years rather than some abstract concept that you're aware exists but beyond *maybe* putting some money in a 401k in an investment you don't really understand just because you were told you should do that to get a match you don't really comprehend. If you've never even contemplated the idea, coming up with an decent answer on-the-spot would be difficult for most people.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I think most of those people had never given 2 seconds of thought to "what" retirement would look like for them. It's exponentially easier to give a rational answer to such a question if it's one you've been contemplating and a goal you've been actively looking forward to for years rather than some abstract concept that you're aware exists but beyond *maybe* putting some money in a 401k in an investment you don't really understand just because you were told you should do that to get a match you don't really comprehend. If you've never even contemplated the idea, coming up with an decent answer on-the-spot would be difficult for most people.
True, and if someone stuck a camera in my face like that during a lunch break from work, back when I was working, and asked me something like that, I'd have been hard put to come up with any answer at all.

Even a few weeks before I retired, I did not have much of any idea of what my daily retirement life would be like. And cameras? Like many others, I'm kind of shy. I just assumed they would be more together and at ease than I would have been, but there's no reason to think that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Most posters here on this forum already live their dreams. Fridge and pantry stocked with food (and booze for those who drink). Fast internet to surf and to shoot the breeze here on this forum, and to order "stuff" from Amazon. Foreign and/or domestic travel if a change of scenery is desired. A roof over one's head to keep out the cold, and AC to cool the heat. Many here have two homes to go back/forth between.

What to complain about? What more does one need?
So True!
street is online now   Reply With Quote