Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

The first few months of retirement I definitely slept a lot but after four months I needed a new adventure . I was starting to get bored . That is when I started selling on ebay and I know it sounds boring but it got me into photography and writing the adds and merchandising . Things I had never done before and I found I really enjoyed doing it and that is the clue with retirement finding something you really enjoy .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When we made the decision to buy a house...
My first reaction was "Whoa!"

But even the Terhorsts bought a lot and built a house.

I spent the first couple months of ER recovering from years of chronic fatigue by taking two-hour naps.

I spent the first few years of ER getting over the nightmares, and I wonder how many veterans (and civilians) are coping with undiagnosed PTSD symptoms. But it's been months since I've awakened to find myself on my feet shouting out orders.

I've spent most of ER proving a few things to my satisfaction-- finding my personal investing style (still in progress), working on surfing skills, learning how to pace myself and not overschedule a bunch of activities.

A big ER theme has been taking the longer term: "deadlines" that used to be days are now weeks, and weeks become months or even years. I've been working on a landscaping project that's taken five years to grow in. We've been planning a major revision for nearly a decade before we finally spent the money.

We have other plans that are being tweaked while we await the right occasion: "when the kid leaves for college", "when the pet bunny goes to his great reward", "when plug-in electric vehicles are finally commonplace"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martha, your little boy looks very sweet. You are sure right, it is a huge amount of work, and fun, and responsibility, and sometimes frustration. Both of my kids were like hurricanes hitting. One has his own daughter now; she is a hurricane too.

Ha
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I still envy all of you retired folks but as a Gemini I too do everything intensely and then get off to other things. I had the foodie bug for quite some time and still do to some extent and have created many fine seafood delights. Like Audrey I have a serious case of wanderlust and as my wife and I discussed retirement it became painfully obvious to us we were not ready to settle down. So, like Audrey, we will buy an RV and go full-time for 2 to 5 years (or more if we love it).

In my early working life I was a wildlife biologist and then went into Information Technology so I am looking forward to re-entering my "nature loving" phase when we retire.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
My first reaction was "Whoa!"
LOL! That was our reaction too, when we saw what they were building!!!!

And then it did seem like there were some tires screeching and a big fishtail motion as we took a sudden fast turn!

But it's one of those things - you know it when you see it! We had always assumed that termination of full-timing would be because we found something even better. We just had no idea when it might happen.

Our fulltiming "career" began the same way - with a 10 ten second conversation. After a couple of years occasionally casually discussing where we might move, but never really figuring anything out, we are driving our little RV trailer back to storage having just completed an awesome 3 week camping trip:

Me: "You know, the thing is John, we don't really need a house.
DH: "That's it!"

End of conversation, start of transition to next phase.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My entire life so far (still working) has been phases, some have been woodworking, golf, tennis, marathon running, etc. I realize that the transition from the work world to the retired world is probably unique, but otherwise I certainly hope/expect phases to continue throughout life including during retirement. Sounds very healthy to me. My parents seem to be completely stuck in a rut, and it doesn't look like much fun. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very good topic Audrey ( you have a great knack for coming up with good ones!) It sure made me think of where we are in the ER process. Both DW and myself completely changed from our prior work phases to retire in a rural area of the Pacific Northwest and start a little (mostly hobby) goat ranch. Now, after 7 years of very enjoyable life I find myself starting to feel a need for a next step on this wonderful ER adventure away from the rural lifestyle. My DW however is very satisfied with our current setup and she would be very happy to continue as we are indefinitely.

I don't quite know how to reconcile when both partners are not quite on the same page as to how to evolve the ER adventure but I sure will be working on it! suggestions welcome
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My entire life so far (still working) has been phases, some have been woodworking, golf, tennis, marathon running, etc. I realize that the transition from the work world to the retired world is probably unique, but otherwise I certainly hope/expect phases to continue throughout life including during retirement. Sounds very healthy to me. My parents seem to be completely stuck in a rut, and it doesn't look like much fun. YMMV
Your parent's situation must be somewhat discouraging for someone contemplating their own retirement/semi-retirement options.

I think some people get stuck in a rut, and some people choose not to - translates to working life as well as retired life. Certainly the folks who come to this board are the kind who choose to actively shape their future life.

Audrey
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Your parent's situation must be somewhat discouraging for someone contemplating their own retirement/semi-retirement options.
It's sad, but hopefully it will lead me to do otherwise...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

In 1974, Willie Nelson said it best:

(Phases and stages circles and cycles and scenes that we've all seen before. Let me tell you some more)

People are saying that time will take care of people like me
That I'm livin' too fast and they say I can't last too much longer
But little they see that their thoughts of me is my saviour
And little they know that the beat oughta go just a little faster
So pick up the tempo just a little and take it on home
The singer ain't singin' and the drummer's been draggin' too long
Time will take care of itself so just leave time alone
And pick up the tempo just a little and take it on home

Well I'm wild and I'm mean and I'm creatin' a scene I'm goin' crazy
Well I'm good and I'm bad and I'm happy and I'm sad and I'm lazy
I'm quiet and I'm loud and I'm gatherin' a crowd and I like gravy
About half off the wall but I learned it all in the Navy
So pick up the tempo...

(Phases and stages circles and cycles and scenes that we've all seen before. Let me tell you some more)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's sad, but hopefully it will lead me to do otherwise...
I'm sure you will - because you are aware of it and desire a different outcome!

Audrey
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good thread! We have been doing a lot of thinking about what we want to do, especially after the kids are gone in about 6 years. We have been rethinking the buy smaller house and settle in ideas and contemplating full-time RVing or buying a condo and doing a lot of travel, or both. Sometimes your options are overwhelming. I mean Moving abroad, all kinds of alternative living arrangements (renting, condos, RVs, boats, living abroad, etc.) and so many thing we want to do. Hearing others ideas, plans and stories is most helpful.
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

When we first retired I also felt like I had this overwhelming number of choices. But it didn't take that long before some floated to the top as "definitely do as soon as possible" and others we might get to eventually but didn't feel that urgent.

Basically - prioritizing. Then you really only need to focus on the top 3-5 and can let the rest go. You'll either get around to them eventually, or not!

Oh, and that list? - it keeps a-changin'.

Audrey
Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martha, he is adorable. I hope that you still get to see him. I spent a great deal of time taking care of my now 18 mos granddaughter. It is so hard having her in CA, when we live in WV. She sang me a song on the phone today...da, da, da,da..it was so precious. I miss her dearly, but will hopefully be going to see her in Feb or March.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm reading this thread with interest as I have all of 9 days of ER done now. I didn't do much besides mess about with my computers as I'm trying to adjust without the formerly subsidized electronics. I'm trying to get walk in every day but the weather has been brutal some days. I'm getting plenty of sleep and that's good. It is an odd feeling since I know there's no end to this "vacation". Definetly in a transition phase and decompressing.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm reading this thread with interest as I have all of 9 days of ER done now. I didn't do much besides mess about with my computers as I'm trying to adjust without the formerly subsidized electronics. I'm trying to get walk in every day but the weather has been brutal some days. I'm getting plenty of sleep and that's good. It is an odd feeling since I know there's no end to this "vacation". Definetly in a transition phase and decompressing.
Isn't it wonderful? I especially love the odd feeling of knowing there's no end to this "vacation". Or, "Endless days of play!" as I think Goonie described it.

Sounds like you are adjusting to retirement really well. Glad to hear it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Makes me wonder what mine will be like (July 1, 2010). I try and imagine during time off, but that knowledge I have to go back is always there. It takes me about half a week to decompress, then I spend the otehr half dreading the job. I know it will take a while to get used to it and lose that feeling that I have to do something, and many posts on here confirm that. Still, I can't wait to go through that.

Congrats!!
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you think it's better to retire in winter or summer? If the weather is brutal, it might be difficult to get into a healthy routine. But this too will pass.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me adbh View Post
Do you think it's better to retire in winter or summer? If the weather is brutal, it might be difficult to get into a healthy routine. But this too will pass.
I don't think it matters much. I have to live thru winter regardless and need to get my habits figured out. In a way it is good because during these days of adjustment I don't feel like I'm wasting a nice day.

It was a bit more advantageous for me to go out at the end of the year so I did. Some people say they don't want to start retirement in winter but I didn't want to pile on too .many changes at once. Given the huge amount of work there was to walking out the door and the strangeness to the initial adjustment period, I'm glad I'm not changing anything else right now. It would have been really hard to be moving in this period like my boss did.

Yes, it is a delicious feeling knowing this doesn't end. :-)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

To parrot what others have said, "great topic!" This idea of phases really resonates with me (as did the idea of periodically reinventing myself), and I hadn't been looking at retirement from this angle. As I contemplate how things will be when I pull the plug this summer, I find myself getting a bit anxious. It helps to come at it with a less permanent perspective.

And this fits with my life experience so far. I tend to plan excessively, and rarely do things turn out the way I expect. So I should clearly take that fact into account as I enter one of the biggest transitions I'll ever make. I like the saying, "man plans, God laughs".
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote