Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What was the old joke? second prize was two weeks in Philadelphia; first prize was one?

My tastes run toward not a city, so discount this post.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
There’s an old political campaign saying (I first heard it from James Carville I think) that politically, PA is Philly in the East, Pittsburgh in the West...and Alabama in between.

ADR to PA & AL.

I live in the so-called Alabama part of PA. That isn't true anymore. There is also a robust theater and music scene. Harrisburg has a thriving gay community as well. Many colleges here, not just Penn State up in State College. Not all of them are in the middle of nowhere.

But there isn't much public transportation in the area. There are liberal and conservative enclaves, and attitudes have changed significantly in the past 20 years. I found much less racism here than I did in California.

The more I'm here, the more I like it. Yes, PA has an inheritance tax. 4.5% if it's your kids paying it. 0% if it's a spouse.

But I wouldn't live in Philly, unless it was in the suburbs.

One of the best parts about living in the east is that it's much easier to travel to Europe from here.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
There’s an old political campaign saying (I first heard it from James Carville I think) that politically, PA is Philly in the East, Pittsburgh in the West...and Alabama in between.

ADR to PA & AL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I live in the so-called Alabama part of PA. That isn't true anymore. There is also a robust theater and music scene. Harrisburg has a thriving gay community as well. Many colleges here, not just Penn State up in State College. Not all of them are in the middle of nowhere.
Good to hear that. It has been a while since Carville ran a campaign...
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #44

Maybe you should let the outcome of the NFL playoff game this coming weekend guide you?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #45

So I currently live in Philly and love it. The major downside is the winter weather.
1) Philly is not a dump. Yes it's a big city so it has big city issues. One of the largest park system in the country (Fairmont park). Great neighborhoods with diversity and local flair. Lovely homes, although I'm not a fan of the new construction.
I live in Fairmont, I can walk down town in 10 minutes, have supermarkets, restaurants, targets, drug stores all within walking distance.
Traffic is a pain but once again its a major city.
Close to the jersey shore.
I'm a city gal, I did the suburban life when the kiddoes where in school. Hated it. Dull as dishwater.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #46

I'm African-American, with 3 AA sons. I don't find the city to be any more racist than any other city. In fact Pa has a reputation, Philly on one end, Pittsburgh on the other with Mississippi in the middle.
My kid's have had way more issues with racism in philly suburbs than in the city. Villanova, Upper Merion, bucks county are much worst IMO than Philadelphia
Old 01-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #47

My retirement plan is to be a snow bird. Live in Philly during Spring summer and fall. High tail it out in the winter.