Photographer's Corner - equipment

I'll probably write out the metadata when I think I'm pretty much finished with a given catalog.

The problem is I'm pretty bad about "finishing".

I may do a once a year archival thing that involves writing the data for a given catalog back to the DNGs that are processed. We'll see.......

I don't think I'm ever going to finish. I keep at looking at my older photos and think :facepalm: why did I process it like that. I even started a list of photos/collections that I want to redo (must be my to-do list habit extending over from work).

I think it's 1/3 improved skill on my part, 1/3 improved tools, and 1/3 my tastes have changed.

I saw a quote today that resonated which went something like "A work of Art is never finished... only abandoned."

Now, I wish I could remember why I didn't write it down.

Update: “A work of art is never finished. It is merely abandoned.” ― E.M. Forster

Some dynamic range tests on the canon 5ds and 5dsr can be seen here:

Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

If you click on the dropdown menus, you can change the camera to see how it compares to other brands.

The conclusion:

Our preliminary Raw dynamic range analyses indicate that Canon's new 50MP resolution cameras bring not only a whole lot of resolution to the table, but also some increases in dynamic range over its predecessors. As we saw with the 7D Mark II, Canon’s been making some, albeit arguably slow, progress with respect to dynamic range, and we're pleased to see this trickle down to the 5DS cameras. We were skeptical when Canon first told us that dynamic range would be similar to the 5D Mark III - if the 5DS' sensors are essentially scaled 7D Mark II sensors, then we’d have expected roughly 1EV (at best) dynamic range improvement over the 7D Mark II, which itself was almost on par with the 5D Mark III with respect to dynamic range. Indeed, this is essentially what we see, with the 5DS R ISO 100 shot pushed 6 EV appearing to have roughly similar noise levels to the 5D Mark III ISO 200 shot pushed 5 EV. That's at least a stop improvement over the 5D Mark III, with little to no banding to boot, and this is particularly impressive given the massive increase in resolution.

That said, the 5DS cameras cannot compete with the massive base ISO dynamic range we see from on-chip ADC architectures from Sony sensors in cameras from competitors like Nikon, Pentax, and Sony itself. Those shooting high dynamic range scenes may still have to rely on filters and HDR techniques more than they might have had to if shooting with some of the better performing peers, and in general you will have to take more care to ensure proper exposure due to the more limited exposure latitude compared to some of the competition.

So Nikon will probably best Canon in the Dxomarks, if people care ...

Here is one man's thoughts on whether or not most of us need a big SLR for our daily shooting. Personally, I agree, but your mileage may vary.

Where We’re Headed | byThom | Thom Hogan
Here’s the thing. Let’s say that a large part of your shooting is in the 24-85mm range. Can you get by without a DSLR for that? Ten years ago I would have said no. Even five years ago I would mostly have said no. Today? Different story.

Here is one man's thoughts on whether or not most of us need a big SLR for our daily shooting. Personally, I agree, but your mileage may vary.

Where We’re Headed | byThom | Thom Hogan

I sold my D3300 last week. We were on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I found that I was leaving the camera behind and using my iPhone because the camera was too big.

I'm currently thinking of getting either the Sony A6000 or Olympus EM10. I think the A6000 body is nicer, but I'm less impressed with the lenses available. The EM10 with the 14-42mm pancake lenses would make a very lightweight and compact camera and would probably work for most of my shooting.

I still haven't decided between the two, but I agree that these cameras are excellent replacements for low end/general purpose SLRs.

A6000 is cheap right now, $600 with the kit lens.

However, it's been a year so there may be a replacement coming out.

Yes I notice the weight of the D750 I've lugged around on 3 trips now.

And most of my shooting is within the 24-85 mm range and I hate changing lenses out in the field.

But while I'm able to lug it around, I will do so.

I guess these large sensor pocketable cameras are a good complement for many people. I'm integrating more and more iPhone pics, but mainly for things like easy panoramas and HDRs.

I guess I could probably find a pocketable camera better than the iPhone for those tasks, but the iPhone will be lighter to carry than the pocketable.

Most of my travel shooting is in the 17 to 22mm range on a full frame camera, which is why I'm only taking one of my wide angle zooms on my next Europe trip.

Regarding DSLRs -- I'm almost certainly going to pick up sony's next incarnation of their A7r.

Very tempted by the Sony A7.

But limited lens selection and I thought you could easily use Nikon and Canon lenses with them but turns out it would be manual focus and exposure settings, probably no OIS.

Very tempted by the Sony A7.

But limited lens selection and I thought you could easily use Nikon and Canon lenses with them but turns out it would be manual focus and exposure settings, probably no OIS.

That's another downside to the A6000. Image stabilization is built into the lens, not the camera.

Taking a quick look, it looks like the A7 II has image stabilization. Of course, it's also more expensive.

A6000 is cheap right now, $600 with the kit
lens.

Costco has a package for $650 that includes two kit lenses, plus some other stuff. But what I've read about the 18-55mm lens hasn't impressed me. It could be better to go with the body and buy better lenses separately.

I've thought about what lenses I would use if I switch to an A7x body as my primary camera. Right now on canon most of my shooting is

24-105
24mm T/S
70-300L

Adapters suck for AF and I don't like using them in general, so I'd probably do something like

24-105L -> 24-70 FE or a 3 set prime 25mm / 55mm / 85mm
24mm T/S -> keep and use with adapter
70-300L -> use with adaptor (for landscape/cityscapes/static shots) or replace with sony 70-200 f/4 or keep a canon body (best when AF needed)

I do want an ultrawide like canon's 11-24 or 16-35 f/4 but I'm not sure what I'm going to do for that.

Costco has a package for $650 that includes two kit lenses, plus some other stuff. But what I've read about the 18-55mm lens hasn't impressed me. It could be better to go with the body and buy better lenses separately.

On DP Review forums, people are saying the older 18-55 is better but not as compact as the 16-50, which is more pancake like.

A couple of days ago, it was $600 with the 16-50 but it's gone up to $700 now.

A6000 came out almost a year ago so there will probably be a new model, though more expensive of course.

I'm going to try to go handle it in person. Some say you can fit it in a jacket pocket but in the summer time, you're still going to have to have it on a strap or something.

I've thought about what lenses I would use if I switch to an A7x body as my primary camera. Right now on canon most of my shooting is

24-105
24mm T/S
70-300L

Adapters suck for AF and I don't like using them in general, so I'd probably do something like

24-105L -> 24-70 FE or a 3 set prime 25mm / 55mm / 85mm
24mm T/S -> keep and use with adapter
70-300L -> use with adaptor (for landscape/cityscapes/static shots) or replace with sony 70-200 f/4 or keep a canon body (best when AF needed)

I do want an ultrawide like canon's 11-24 or 16-35 f/4 but I'm not sure what I'm going to do for that.

Would you save a lot in weight if you're using those big Canon lenses with an adapter?

One of the reasons I stuck with Nikon is that there's no easy way to geotag with Sony.

Well ideally I would switch to native sony/zeiss lenses except for my T/S. For a three lens kit, I'm guessing I would save a pound or two on the body/lenses. There might be more savings if it allows a lighter tripod/ballhead etc.

Lower weight is just one reason I'm attracted to the A7x series. Other factors include compactness, dynamic range, articulating screen, higher res (although 5ds delivers this as well), etc. Also there's no way my canon 5d can be an EDC camera but I'm hoping the A7 with small prime can fit that role as well.

Well it might work size/weight wise but EDC is more vulnerable to being lost or stolen so people might not want to risk carrying expensive gear all the time.

Phones aren't necessarily cheap but they're trackable and they might suit more mundane shooting opportunities.

For many too, a phone is good enough for candid moments where ultimate image quality is not the primary goal.

One of the reasons I stuck with Nikon is that there's no easy way to geotag with Sony.

Another plus for Olympus. I'm thinking that the A6000 might be a better camera, but the EM10 would be more enjoyable to use.

The key to carrying a heavy camera is in the strap.

I have a Canon 7D Mark II with a battery Pack which, with Lens and strap (see below), weighs exactly 4 pounds 13 ounces (postal scale). I have never suffered discomfort... even after 6-7 hours.

I use a Lowepro Voyager C strap.

I don't have a "genre" that is dominate in my photography. I am interested in whatever catches my attention at the moment. Consequently, I need a lens that is capable of capturing a wide range. For many years I carried a bunch of different lens. Unfortunately, all I ended up with was a very dirty sensor from constantly changing lenses. I now have only two lenses -- a Tamron 16-300 (included in the above weight calculation) and because I sometimes get the opportunity to shoot wildlife (particularly birding), a Tamron 15-600 (this is not a carry-around lens however). FWIW, I use these instead of Canon glass because Canon doesn't have a comparable offering.. and it cost about half of what I would expect Canon to ask.)

I also, quite often --like on long hikes or tours -- carry to a Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera with a 18-55 mm lens -- for those times when I wish to be a little less obvious. I use a Blackrapid Metro strap on this camera which puts the camera on my hip allowing "quick draw" -- as well as allowing it to be a second camera without interfering with the main camera.

I forgot to mention that I attach the Lowepro strap to my camera with a SLR C-Loop mount. (It can be purchased here.) It takes away the tripod/monopod mount but the camera is "always ready" and the strap is never in the way.

Yeah, the lack of that mount is an issue. The 15-300 lens is pretty heavy and hard to handle hand-held. I use a Monfrotto 685-B monopod with a Tomahawk Gimbal (no ballhead). That way I can capture birds taking off/landing (or in flight), race cars, motocross, etc. at virtually zero weight. I have to take the strap off the camera and it makes for paranoid moments.

I sold my D3300 last week. We were on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I found that I was leaving the camera behind and using my iPhone because the camera was too big.

I'm currently thinking of getting either the Sony A6000 or Olympus EM10. I think the A6000 body is nicer, but I'm less impressed with the lenses available. The EM10 with the 14-42mm pancake lenses would make a very lightweight and compact camera and would probably work for most of my shooting.

I still haven't decided between the two, but I agree that these cameras are excellent replacements for low end/general purpose SLRs.

I ended up ordering the EM10 with the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens. Size wise it'll be a little bit smaller than the D3300 with the standard kit lens, which is what I was using before, but I expect the picture IQ to be much, much better.

I spent quite a bit of time thinking if I should get prime lenses with a cheap zoom instead, but in the end if I want lower quality pictures, I'll just use my iPhone. The new camera should be here by the end of next week. Can't wait to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom