Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I've been reading up on both the X-Rite Colormuki Smile & Display, and the Colorchecker Passport & wanted some real-world feedback on their usefulness. Thank you.
I bought my sister a Colormunki Smile for her birthday (we don't exchange gifts often but she's going through some tough times now and this was an excuse) and she likes it and is about as non-technical a person as one will find.

When people ask "why calibrate your display?" the example I use is going into a department store and seeing all the wall-mounted TVs on the same channel, and most show the colors differently, often dramatically so. They are not color-calibrated and that's the difference calibration makes.

If you don't print your photos but send them out for the few prints you do print, then the Smile will meet your needs just fine.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all your input.

I ordered the Colormunki Smile today and a white/gray/black card. I came to the conclusion that the X-Rite Colorchecker Passport was overkill for my needs.

Color is a fascinating subject!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I ordered the Colormunki Smile today and a white/gray/black card. I came to the conclusion that the X-Rite Colorchecker Passport was overkill for my needs.
That'll work, and puts you ahead of all but a fraction of a percentage of people who own a camera.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #164

I still have a Spyder ( calibration unit) around somewhere. Since I do everything on the iPad now, and don't do prints, it doesn't seem an issue

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I calibrated my monitor using a Spyder device. The major problem was that my monitor was to bright thus causing my prints to be to dark. The device was able to adjust the brightness to a better level.

I don't calibrate as often as they recommend as I am not that fussy about exact color. I calibrate every 4 months or so, or if I am going to be doing a lot of printing with expensive paper.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't calibrate as often as they recommend as I am not that fussy about exact color. I calibrate every 4 months or so, or if I am going to be doing a lot of printing with expensive paper.
I'm about the same since it shows a "before" and "after" screen with the two calibrations. The only time I ever saw a difference was the first time. So like you I only do it about every four months or so.

Anyone ever use Red River paper? I've heard good things about them and was thinking about a box of their Polar Pearl Metallic but the stuff in 13x19 is almost $2 a sheet. I'm tempted to get a box of 8.5x11 but I don't use that size much and I'm not sure a smaller size would show the effects much. I was surprised at the difference when I printed my first 13x19 and that just made me want a 16x20 printer.

I know, first world problem....
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm about the same since it shows a "before" and "after" screen with the two calibrations. The only time I ever saw a difference was the first time. So like you I only do it about every four months or so.

Anyone ever use Red River paper? I've heard good things about them and was thinking about a box of their Polar Pearl Metallic but the stuff in 13x19 is almost $2 a sheet. I'm tempted to get a box of 8.5x11 but I don't use that size much and I'm not sure a smaller size would show the effects much. I was surprised at the difference when I printed my first 13x19 and that just made me want a 16x20 printer.

I know, first world problem....

Lol

Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I spent a few hours this morning trying to decide between the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 lens, and the new Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS lens. I had decided that my EF 16-35mm f/2.8 lens (not to mention hood) was just too heavy and bulky to take on our Europe trip where I'm trying to get away with a smaller shoulder camera bag.

DH and I were busy comparing specs, when it finally dawned on me that maybe I already had that 17-40mm lens. In fact, I've owned that lens since 2003, and I was using it pretty heavily last summer for night sky photography until I upgraded to the faster, bulkier f/2.8 16-35mm lens (which I then did take to Europe last year along with a lot more camera gear).

Doh!!!

I noticed from my Europe trip last year that most of my photographs were taken between 16mm and 50mm. Very rarely higher. My camera body is full frame. I'm also taking my EF 24-105mm IS f/4 lens.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Sold my DSLR. Thinking of a D610 and a 24-120 lens.

Considerably heavier than my crop sensor and walk around zoom (4.5 to 1 ratio).
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Sold my DSLR. Thinking of a D610 and a 24-120 lens.

Considerably heavier than my crop sensor and walk around zoom (4.5 to 1 ratio).
explanade - Just got a D610 with a 24-85. Yes it is heavier than a crop sensor, but ok for walking around a few hours with it around your neck. I really like it - it seems like I can now crop a photo more and still keep most of the sharpness.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Back Button Autofocus
Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back Button Autofocus

I found this video about switching autofocus on your DSLR. It was on a link posted to a Facebook group.

How to use Nikon's AF-ON and back button autofocus | Nikon Rumors

I'm definitely trying it out on my camera.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I spent a few hours this morning trying to decide between the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 lens, and the new Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 IS lens.
Is there any reason to prefer the old 17-40L lens? I think reviews are uniformly in favor of the newer lens.

Quote:
DH and I were busy comparing specs, when it finally dawned on me that maybe I already had that 17-40mm lens.
You must have a lot of lenses :>

Once you go AF-ON you won't go back.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Photographer's Corner - equipment
Old 08-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #173

Back button focus was the first setup change I made to the new D800 lol

It's amazing how most of the old equipment is still usable today. I came across my old leather Nikon EM case, about 60 years old, and the AW1 fits in it perfectly. Also, my old Linhoff adjustable lens hood - with a Hasselblad CF adaptor - happens to fit the 77mm lens threads ( the 70-200 and the 10-24) perfectly. It also has a slot for holding filters: both manufactured and homemade. No needing to buy the more expensive filters that screw on the lens. Case and hood both in the photo below.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407013464.313145.jpg

Can also adapt the viewing hood from my Yashica A to fit on the back of the AW1, to prevent glare on the screen when taking a photo, as it has no viewfinder. It's amazing people complain about the glare on LCDs, when photographers solved that problem for flat view screens over a hundred years again.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I found this video about switching autofocus on your DSLR. It was on a link posted to a Facebook group.

How to use Nikon's AF-ON and back button autofocus | Nikon Rumors

I'm definitely trying it out on my camera.

We also discussed it here on the other photo thread.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #175

Frontal shoot of the adjustable hood. Apologies for the poor iPad photos...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407013874.355653.jpg

...And the messy floor lol.

I need to root around through my old equipment more, and find what is still usable and useful.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #176

We went to a Marine museum in Michigan, and they had items on displayed removed from the 60s wreck of a German ship. One item was an old LunaPro light meter. Whipped out mine and compared the two - not too much of a difference lol. Mines an 80s model. Tired for a comparison photo, but the display was too far back behind glass...

Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #177

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407015946.335462.jpg

More old useful equipment.

The teleconverter and extension tubes will not work with modern lenses which do not have an aperture ring, since the devices do not permit communication between the lens and camera. But I still have an older 35-70AF lens that functions with both. Using the film lens with the 1.6 TC and a 2.7x crop factor on the AW 1 makes for a reach of, let's see see, 151.1 to 302.4 mm. The three extension tubes come in 12, 20 and 36 mm, and can used individually or in any combination. No AF, of course, but no problem there.

That's quite a range. Now, if my old 70-200 lens is still functional, after getting damp, ... Actually, the electronics don't matter. If they're shot, the lens should be usable, if there's no fogging I can't eliminate.

That would - on the AW1with TC1.6 - be a range of 302.4 to 864 mm *grin*

Old 08-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #178

The ft1 lens adaptor is coming in next week

Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Dw got a Sony Cybershot in the mail today for her 25 yr award from megacorp. Looks like I'm adding another download cable to the mix. I wish the camera industry would standardize their cabling. But then again, no other industry does.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #180

Check a few existing cables you already have - you may get lucky.

Tags
hogan mirrorless