Photographer's Corner - equipment

I totally understand not wanting to carry the f/2.8 lens. I was wondering about the differences between the 17-40L vs new f4 version of the 16-35 with IS.

I did take a tripod to europe but left it in the hotel room except for sunrise and sunset shots. I didn't have one at the time, but I wish I also had a jobo gorilla pod for cathedral interiors.

That's what I end up doing, always take one but don't use it that much.

I've tried the Gorilla pods indoors. Got a couple of good shots but you really can't attach it to anything. Tried using it on the floors but then there are always people walking into view.

I totally understand not wanting to carry the f/2.8 lens. I was wondering about the differences between the 17-40L vs new f4 version of the 16-35 with IS.

I routinely carry a 24-80mm f/2.8 zoom lens and a 150mm f/1.7 telephone lens and they are not a burden. My 'secret' is a micro 4/3 system where the lenses are 1/3 the size and weight. (Actually, they are 12-40mm and 75mm. The above are the full frame equivalents.) Not to mention and very compact body. :D

The sensor is 16 MP, more than enough for some cropping before I make a 16x20 print.

Last edited:
I keep a copy of Lightroom on our travel Mac, and I've found it works very nicely to have a fresh catalog for each trip.

Audrey, I explain my reasoning much better on a Facebook page earlier this year: (https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightroomhelpgroup/permalink/246261648898359/)

First, it is important to understand that there are no image files (what you call "pics") in Lightroom.

The best (for me) analogy of the relationship of LR to the actual image files is the old library system of having a Card File in which each Book was referenced. Lightroom serves that function -- it only references the Image File. However, to complicate things a little, LR treats RAW images somewhat differently than other types of images. LR creates a separate "sidecar" file for RAW images that contains all of your edits (including Metadata) and places that file in the same folder as the image file. With all other types of image files, LR places that data inside the Image File.

To further clarify, what you did was delete the actual Image File (the Book) without telling Lightroom (the Card File). Therefore, LR believes the file is still where it was before but simply can't read it any more. It is, of course, a little more complicated than this but should give you direction on how to proceed.

At least, I hope it is better. <chuckle>

Photogene4 app is great. Forget if it's free or costs a few bucks. Whichever, it's worth it. As mentioned previously, its practically all I use unless I want layering or HDR. It's also nondestructive. Every nonHDR image I've posted here has been edited by Photogene.

Quick review:

http://www.cultofmac.com/245470/photogene-4-full-resolution-raw-editing-on-ios/

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Read the review. Talks about Lightroom transportability, etc. think it was free when I first got it - the article says it cost $1 for new users.

Last edited:
Buying yet another lens? :)

The 16-35 f/4 is very tempting but I'm really waiting on a high MP successor from Canon with better dynamic range. I expect it will be a while :<

I've tried the Gorilla pods indoors. Got a couple of good shots but you really can't attach it to anything. Tried using it on the floors but then there are always people walking into view.

In cathedrals it works really well on the back of the pews or on a podium. I just used mine the other day in the iowa state capitol on a bunch of stair railings to capture the dome/library/chambers. I was a little worried that a security guard would tell me to put it away (in theory it could slip off the railing and fall several stories) but I didn't actually see any guards except at the entrance.

I have the biggest one and it's still a little wobbly with a dslr but has been ok with mirror-up for me.

I routinely carry a 24-80mm f/2.8 zoom lens and a 150mm f/1.7 telephone lens and they are not a burden. My 'secret' is a micro 4/3 system where the lenses are 1/3 the size and weight. (Actually, they are 12-40mm and 75mm. The above are the full frame equivalents.) Not to mention and very compact body. :D

On my last trip to europe, I took a 24 ts-e, 24-105 f/4 and 70-300L. That's probably 5lbs in lenses. I didn't find it too bad in a backpack.

Audrey, I explain my reasoning much better on a Facebook page earlier this year: (https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightroomhelpgroup/permalink/246261648898359/)

At least, I hope it is better. <chuckle>
I didn't get that specific post that you linked - it just redirected me to the Facebook group.

Yes - I understand that a catalog does not "contain" the photo files. But the way I create my directory system for the catalog does. So I'm pretty happy with how it works out when I "copy" a catalog (actually the directory) from my travel Mac to my home computer.

I actually have all the original camera raw files stored in one location by date, but then when I import my selections into Lightroom, it makes an Adobe raw file copy, which lives with the catalog files. It's duplication, but this system works for me. And I don't import every photo I take.

I didn't get that specific post that you linked - it just redirected me to the Facebook group.

Oh! Yeah, it is a closed group. You have to ask to join but TBH it wasn't that big a deal. (The group, however, is worth joining for those that struggle with Lightroom.)

It's duplication, but this system works for me.
And that is the most important part. How boring life would be if everyone done things the same way... my way.

I really do love Lightroom. For itself, and for how rarely I need to go into Photoshop for additional processing. I'm not counting the "panorama merge" and "HDR merge" functions which are so well integrated that you don't really notice being sent to Photoshop and back.

The coolest thing I did with this week in Lightroom was load up my "BENELUX 2013" catalogue (BENELUX = Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg) and take a look at which focal lengths I used the most with the two different lenses and combined. It was an interesting review and helped affirm my choices for lenses to take on the next trip.

For those of you that travel a lot and take a lot of photos on the road, do you process on a laptop, do your best with a tablet, or wait until you get home to your computer?

I shoot raw, then use dcraw to extract the jpgs. Browse the jpgs, select 1 or a few, do some auto correction in snapseed or google+ or whatever I'm playing with. Post with a sentence or two. My goal is to daily post one photo or write one paragraph in my post-during-trip-only tumblr Traveling at the Speed of Whim

If there is nothing else to do at night and an image calls to me, I'll do some proper editing on my low ram, weak cpu netbook. Back home if I make a better edit of a photo posted in the tumblr, I replace the old with the new.

Last edited:
Might as well spend a little more and get a laptop.

Other than having to pack the additional weight, at least you can use it for a lot of other things besides copying your photos to it.

While traveling, if all you need is a backup for your SD cards, check these out.

Memory Card Back-up Devices | B&H Photo Video

I used an inexpensive one back when 40GB was sufficiently huge.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely consider this option. My camera has 2 card slots and supposedly copies from one slot to another. I may try this copy to a 2nd card method first. If that doesn't work well, I'll go with a back-up device.

Might as well spend a little more and get a laptop.

Other than having to pack the additional weight, at least you can use it for a lot of other things besides copying your photos to it.
I know what your saying, but I generally don't carry a laptop with me on these trips. I have one, but I always bring my iPad because if there is no wi-fi I can always go 4g.

I use this external hard drive which costs $99. It has about 75,000 (25mb each) RAW files (and subordinate files) as well as all the Lightroom files on it -- it is less than 1/2 full. Again, I simply plug it in to whichever computer I am using -- the desktop (at home) or the Laptop (on the road) -- and simply start my editing program (Lightroom mostly) without any thought as to where my files are.

Everything remains is synch no matter where I am at and I always have instant access to my complete portfolio.

(I cover my backup procedure in earlier posts.)

I've been taking both iPad and laptop on trips.

At the end of May and first part of June, I went to Amsterdam for a few days followed by Italy for the rest. I bought an iPad Mini Retina because it supports all the LTE bands in Europe. I did see LTE speeds in Rome but not the smaller towns on the Amalfi Coast.

The iPad Mini was good for using away from the hotel, noticeably lighter to carry around than the iPad 3 that I used to have.

The laptop, besides backing up my photos, I used to view some videos back at the hotel. It has an HDMI port and some of the places I stayed in had flat panels with HDMI ports that I hooked up to it.

Certainly it would have been much lighter not to pack the laptop but it goes on a roller carry on.

We carry a laptop in the RV, but I can't figure out why....

I was about to buy a D610 for a trip in mid September and now, Nikonrumors are reporting that they will release a new FX, between the D610 and the D810, at Photokina in mid-September.

Argh ...

Has anybody printed on photo paper that simulates the texture of water color paper? If so, what was it and what did you think of it?

Thanks.

I've printed on the epson watercolor paper that came in a sample package. I liked it for nature pictures where there's already a strong texture (like tree bark). But you probably have to see this in person to tell if you like it. My normal print surface is satin/luster.

If you don't want to buy a whole package, sometime the printer manufacturers will send you sample prints on various papers.

Okay, I was hoping to save some time -- I won't be able to respond for a couple days.

I have an Epson Printer (SP3880) so I can only speak to Epson (and compatible) paper.

I have used the Epson Water Color paper found here at the Atlantic Exchange (I guess they call themselves Atlex now). I found it to be excellent in every sense of the word. It, in fact, exceeded my expectations

I have not tried the comparable paper from Red River Paper. However, I find their paper to match very closely to Epson paper at a substantially reduced price. They call their paper Aurora Fine Art.

I am unsure why you are asking so I hope this has been somewhat useful. (FWIW, I order, at least, monthly from both companies

Had a productive day. Figured out how to get rid of that greenish cast in the photos taken by the D800. Also, pulled out my Epson 2200 and had enough ink in the ancient cartridges to get it and running; although the magenta cartridge wouldn't print, even though it was mostly full. Probably dried, and the cleaning routine didn't get it going. Replaced the cartridge and it worked. Have to order more, as the light magenta ran out and I have no replacement. The colors were close, though the monitor and printer both need calibration. Have to find my old Spyder calibration unit. It's somewhere. Wouldn't have thrown it out...

There's a great store in Columbus Ohio called the Columbus Camera Group. I frequented the place a lot in the 80s as a place to get good functioning, used, pro equipment. They bought huge lots at a time, and one of their great strengths was the critically assessed everything, rated it, told you it's strengths and weaknesses, and placed good prices on the items. Much of the equipment I still use was purchased there.

Well, hadn't been for about 15 years or more, and went by today for fun. Still there, in the old church they'd bought who knows when. Still tons of equipment catalogued and on display. Found a Sigma 28-70 2.8 df ex lens - clear glass but some small shiny spots on the barrel - and got it for $225. Sharp and fast - one of Sigmas best lenses. Also a camera backpack that looks new for $30. Holds everything. The owner and I spent a few minutes talking about the past, and he inquired about all my equipment. I suggested he talk to my wife after I was gone. He laughed and suggested I have it all buried with me. DW suggested she just might bury me with before I was even deceased lol.

A good place to go and rummage through. Tell them what you want and they'll find it right off the bat.

Just like old times...

Back
Top Bottom