Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
For bikes and kayaks you don't need a truck -- you're planning to haul only a few hundred pounds at most. A midsized SUV will do the trick, using a roof rack or a small trailer if necessary. You'll save money on the vehicle and on fuel.
Very true. I use my 99 GMC suburban gas guzzler for that purpose. With current prices of used Suburbans, I might just sell it and get a used minivan for my 18 foot, 40lb Kevlar kayak.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I’m not the only one, but for me, a SUV has its purpose. We have a highlander and great for trips, but I prefer a truck for day to day use. Just my preference and since I’m buying it…
Absolutely... I have both an SUV and a full size PU and each have their specific and general uses... I'm going to keep two vehicles anyway so I might as well have everything covered.

SUV = Traveling/trips, grocery shopping, dinner with friends, fun/spirited driving

PU = Hauling trash to transfer station, lumber/building materials, towing anything

Pretty much everything else, it's a toss up which vehicle I use.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Used Tacomas hold their value very very well. So much that you will probably find that better to just buy new unless you look at older than 5 years, probably 10 to get down to what used vehicles more typically cost.
Agree to that. I've been shopping for a new Ranger and concluded I'd pay more for a used one than a new one with minimal frills. I have a deposit in on an XL 4x4 with locking rear diff @ $31,5 plus tax and title. I ordered in February, may see it by July.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I bought a 2020 Ford F150 STX 2x4 fully loaded with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. I received a $3,000 off coupon in the mail from Ford. Total cost less taxes was just under $32K.

It's so much more vehicle than the Tacoma that it's not even funny.

0-60 mph in just over 6 seconds and the quarter mile in the low 14's. Averaging 20.5 mpg around town, and it gets 25 mpg @ 65 mph on cruise control. Tacoma's performance and fuel mileage is just not as good with their preferred 6 cylinder motor.

And the F150 is a SuperCrew so it has a back seat with the room of a limo.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I bought a 2020 Ford F150 STX 2x4 fully loaded with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. I received a $3,000 off coupon in the mail from Ford. Total cost less taxes was just under $32K.

It's so much more vehicle than the Tacoma that it's not even funny.

0-60 mph in just over 6 seconds and the quarter mile in the low 14's. Averaging 20.5 mpg around town, and it gets 25 mpg @ 65 mph on cruise control. Tacoma's performance and fuel mileage is just not as good with their preferred 6 cylinder motor.

And the F150 is a SuperCrew so it has a back seat with the room of a limo.
You made me look and when I put in AL zip code , the same page comes up with extra offer value. Different pricing for different zip codes. A difference of $1,750 lower.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Check out the Honda Ridgeline. It's a unibody construction, so not that tough. But it is very versatile with Honda reliability.
SeanPizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #27

With all the talk of vehicle shortages and high prices, I wonder how long before car theft rates skyrocket? Thinking I need to clean out the garage and park both vehicles inside - a Honda Accord EX and a Lexus RX.

The 2013 Corolla LE is garaged in Arizona. Bought it new on sale in December 2012 for $14,995. Carvana wants to give me $11,288 today, with 44k miles.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
With all the talk of vehicle shortages and high prices, I wonder how long before car theft rates skyrocket? Thinking I need to clean out the garage and park both vehicles inside - a Honda Accord EX and a Lexus RX.

The 2013 Corolla LE is garaged in Arizona. Bought it new on sale in December 2012 for $14,995. Carvana wants to give me $11,288 today, with 44k miles.
Nail down the purchase details for the new vehicle first, then deal with selling the old one...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:49 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Didn't see them mentioned, so I'll throw two more into the mix. Ford will introduce the Maverick soon, and Hyundai already announced the Santa Cruz. These mark the return of small pickups to the US market, which sounds more like what OP needs. I personally just sold my Nissan Frontier in anticipation of buying one of these small trucks. I'm leaning toward the Hyundai, but will wait to see prices and specs on both before I pull the trigger.
Errollyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:05 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

In terms of reliability you cant beat the Tacoma, but they hang on to their value like you wouldn't believe. You're in for some sticker shock I expect.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:32 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53anddone View Post
In terms of reliability you cant beat the Tacoma, but they hang on to their value like you wouldn't believe. You're in for some sticker shock I expect.
You're absolutely right about the durability. But styling still lacks in comparison with the Ranger & even the GM offerings.

My 2020 F150 STX with the 2.7 Ecoboost was still cheaper than my cousin's 2020 Tacoma. I've got much, much more vehicle--including a back seat as large as a limo's.

Because something's mid size doesn't mean it's a best value.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Yeh well, I don't own an SUV myself. I have a Ranger FX4 that tows 2,500-3,000 lbs fairly regularly. Otherwise I drive a sedan as the Ranger gets 16 mpg.

For the OP's purpose, a truck seems like overkill and an SUV/van would be more efficient.
Ugh on the Rangers mileage. My 2015 F-150 3.5L Eco-boost has averaged right around 20MPG+ over its life (65K miles). Most of that is not towing, but a considerable amount of mileage is with winter snow tires + 400# over the back axle, and some of it is w/the truck full of wood or pulling my L-Series Kabuto on a 20' trailer.

I'm just mentioning this because the newer trucks (including mine with > 2000 # payload and capable of trailering 10K#) have improved mileage.

And yes, I agree, for the OP's use case a truck seems like overkill.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errollyn View Post
Didn't see them mentioned, so I'll throw two more into the mix. Ford will introduce the Maverick soon, and Hyundai already announced the Santa Cruz. These mark the return of small pickups to the US market, which sounds more like what OP needs. I personally just sold my Nissan Frontier in anticipation of buying one of these small trucks. I'm leaning toward the Hyundai, but will wait to see prices and specs on both before I pull the trigger.
Although I already own a truck (F150), a (now) vintage car (94 Camaro Z28), an old Subaru, I have this perverse, unexplainable desire to seriously check these "mini" trucks out. I have no use case for them (well, I guess I could pretend to tell myself that it would provide the same functionality as my Outback), but I can't stop myself from looking at articles on them.

It's not a new thing - while I never bought one I always had the same weird fascination with the Subaru Baja.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Ugh on the Rangers mileage. My 2015 F-150 3.5L Eco-boost has averaged right around 20MPG+ over its life (65K miles). Most of that is not towing, but a considerable amount of mileage is with winter snow tires + 400# over the back axle, and some of it is w/the truck full of wood or pulling my L-Series Kabuto on a 20' trailer.

I'm just mentioning this because the newer trucks (including mine with > 2000 # payload and capable of trailering 10K#) have improved mileage.

And yes, I agree, for the OP's use case a truck seems like overkill.
Ford's 4.0 SOHC engine was never known for economy. It has its faults, but it's reliable and long-lived if treated properly.

Direct injection with turbo has entirely changed the game over the last half dozen years or so. In 2019 DW and I rented a Fusion AWD with (IIRC) a 2.7 liter Ecoboost, and I was surprised to find that its passing power was equal to my '95 BMW 540i -- a car with respectable punch in its day.

If I were still driving 30K miles a year I'd be a little wary of GDI engine longevity. I know some makes have had trouble with high-pressure fuel pumps, oil dilution and, in Ford's case, head gaskets. But I don't drive that much anymore, so my next vehicle will probably be an Ecoboost.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've had five new Toyota's between ~2008 and 2015.... Tundra's and Sequoia's and all 4x4's. Never had any trouble with any of them. Good reliable vehicles. The Tundra's and Sequoia's were "assembled" here in the US... I think many Tacoma's are too. Note, a Tacoma is considered a mid size pickup, nothing wrong with that unless you plan on heavier towing or needing a lot of power.
They have also had significant frame rust issues, too...of course Toyota tried to cover it up.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I just can't watch these two..it's 90% banter (and not good banter) with 10% facts and they change their "facts" every week.
Of course they do. They are running a YT channel trying to get more money..er, I meand views and more subs.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #37

Op, I bought a new Tacoma 3 years ago. I had planned to buy used. But, the used prices appeared high. I made a spreadsheet comparing new vs. used figuring I would drive both for 250k total miles. By the time I adjusted the used vehicles for their current miles, the new vehicles where cheaper per mile. Total price was higher for new but the cost per mile was lower. See, you can go get a new truck!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Ford's 4.0 SOHC engine was never known for economy. It has its faults, but it's reliable and long-lived if treated properly.

Direct injection with turbo has entirely changed the game over the last half dozen years or so. In 2019 DW and I rented a Fusion AWD with (IIRC) a 2.7 liter Ecoboost, and I was surprised to find that its passing power was equal to my '95 BMW 540i -- a car with respectable punch in its day.

If I were still driving 30K miles a year I'd be a little wary of GDI engine longevity. I know some makes have had trouble with high-pressure fuel pumps, oil dilution and, in Ford's case, head gaskets. But I don't drive that much anymore, so my next vehicle will probably be an Ecoboost.
I was initially hesitant to go 3.5L twin-turbo (eco-boost) vs traditional V8. But the more I read the better I felt about it. I was also helped by a sample of one, my nephew has a 20113.5L Eco-boost and had (at the time I bought my 2015) 110K miles on it. Hard miles as the family has a farm and he is continually hauling things with it. He now has north of 200K on it, still going strong.

Like you, I'm not doing that kind of mileage, more in the 13K/year range on my truck. (It was even lower but has been increasing lately because my child is away at school so I've made a number of trips).
Old 05-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
They have also had significant frame rust issues, too...of course Toyota tried to cover it up.
I really can't speak to that since I never saw it... Could be that I didn't keep any of them long enough to develop rust problems.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
?

Toyota had a recall for 2004-2010 Tacos...they replaced the entire frame.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote