Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
The automatic trans in Taco will downshift by itself when going downhill? Is that a common feature? I wish my car does that but instead I have to move the gearshift to manual mode and set to 3rd max to avoid using the brake to slow the car down.
So does the 16 Colorado. I drive a lot of moutain ranges. Learned to go to the manually selectable range, thus preempting automatic downshift to 2nd at 40 mph for example.
In that mode the tranny will stay in selected gear, yet work as automatic as coming to a stop.
My Z71 has all the bells and whistles except built in garage door opener and heated steering wheel. Like the locking differential, worked great in the last few winters.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

WSJ today reported GM was “able to pull some semiconductor delivery into second quarter to help lift production and ship vehicles that had been waylaid in parking lots nearby it’s U.S. factories.”
So we will have more GM trucks and SUVs shortly it seems.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:04 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I wonder about Ford using the name "Maverick"...certainly someone in their marketing/naming department remembers the *original* Maverick. Of course it's not as bad as the "Pinto"
Most people who remember the '70s Maverick are at least neutral about it. It was an car of its era, with the handling and quality (rust!) issues all there, but the straight 6 engines were solid, and the 3 speed automatics didn't cause problems.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Most people who remember the '70s Maverick are at least neutral about it. It was an car of its era, with the handling and quality (rust!) issues all there, but the straight 6 engines were solid, and the 3 speed automatics didn't cause problems.
To me Maverick brings to mind the TV show. Not outstanding in any measure but comfortable. After the announcement or reveal, sounds like this will be the same. Uni-body construction, 40MPG with hybrid engine, doesn't sound like is meant as a work truck, in fact the note I read compared it to the Subaru Baja and Honda Edgeline. Only comes in 4 door, so a family truck that can do occasional haul couple bags of mulch ?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
To me Maverick brings to mind the TV show. Not outstanding in any measure but comfortable. After the announcement or reveal, sounds like this will be the same. Uni-body construction, 40MPG with hybrid engine, doesn't sound like is meant as a work truck, in fact the note I read compared it to the Subaru Baja and Honda Edgeline. Only comes in 4 door, so a family truck that can do occasional haul couple bags of mulch ?
Pretty much what I need, to haul dirty camping gear under a bed cover, some brush to the transfer station, or a dishwasher or dresser with the cover folded. I've tended to tear up the rear cargo area of wagons/SUVs I've owned in the past.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I liked my 70 Maverick I drove in college- 6 cylinder three on the tree. Got great gas mileage. Became a three on the floor after i broke the shifter off of the tree. Cheaper to cut a hole in the floor board an toss in a new shifter than pay for a new column one.

Unfortunately the location of the gears were backwards on the floor, ie. normal 1st gear on the floor was reverse. Would have loved to see someone try to steal it and drive away!
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I plan on driving both this and the Hyundai Santa Cruz when they come out, though I almost certainly won't buy until next year. ......
I was impressed with the specs on the new Maverick pickup. It is a standard hybrid, comes with two different powertrains and can tow up to 4000 pounds. It has 120 volt AC plugs and 12 volt junctions built in for DIYers to add electrical accessories. Sounds like a fun truck. https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/...BOC-2021-06-08
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I was looking online today at the new.Maverick.

Looks like Ford hit a home run with it, especially at the mid $20's properly equipped.

Nice enough for most buyers. And it's low enough for an old retiree like me to get in without having to climb.

But with a 2020 F150 and a 2003 F250 diesel, I'm good.to go with what I have.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Pick-up Truck Purchase
Old 06-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Pick-up Truck Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I was looking online today at the new.Maverick.

Looks like Ford hit a home run with it, especially at the mid $20's properly equipped.

Nice enough for most buyers. And it's low enough for an old retiree like me to get in without having to climb.

It looks like something that’s worth paying attention to. I’ll be wanting to replace an SUV that’s pretty long in the tooth (but very trusty since purchased new and well maintained) in the next few years.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I was looking online today at the new. Maverick.

When I configured it the way I'd buy it, middle trim hybrid with "Luxury Package" to get a power driver's seat and heated front seats, I ended up at about $26K. I'd get a bed cover, but would keep it out of the purchase transaction.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #71

Kind of funny , I bought a new Crosstrek in February . Last weekend the dealer had a customer appreciation day . We went , the poor dealer had 60 new Subarus on his lot and a very few used ones . I talked with my salesman he said they have 130 cars on order don’t know when they will get them. He said all they are getting at the auction are high mileage cars. He said every rental car company is trying to buy cars and are holding what cars they have for more miles. He said during covid rental car agency’s got rid of lots of their cars and this chip problem has stopped everything.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I just happened to look at the value of my truck that I paid $36k for out-the-doot in June 2016 (5 years ago) and has 29k miles. Extra clean retail (which it is) is a tad more than I paid for it. No if I only had a reasonably priced replacement available.
When I bought my 2016 GMC Canyon I really wanted a Honda Ridgeline but the Ridgeline was brand new so very richly priced... even for Honda. I had to trade our old 2006 Chevy Colorado because the frame was rusted out and it wouldn't pass inspection.

So for giggles given that the 2016 Canyon's retail price is about what I paid for it I'm considering selling it and using the proceeds and probably $2-3k of cash to buy a new Ridgeline like I wanted to begin with. Even if I trade it I think I'd only pay ~$7k plus my trade for a new Ridgeline... picking up 30k miles and 5 model years for $7k seems like a pretty good deal to me. What do ya think?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

With today's crazy new vehicle market, have you checked the availability of a new Ridgeline and what you'd actually have to pay to buy it, knowing some vehicles are selling above sticker price?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Yes. According to truecar, the model I want is selling for about $500 over sticker, but I would squeeze them down. If they don't want to play ball my current truck only has 30k miles so I'm fine with keeping it.

IOW, if I can't get a good deal I'll not do a deal.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
When I configured it the way I'd buy it, middle trim hybrid with "Luxury Package" to get a power driver's seat and heated front seats, I ended up at about $26K. I'd get a bed cover, but would keep it out of the purchase transaction.
The bed is short though. I would buy the base model for a truck camper setup. A truck camper home with combined 30mpg fuel economy with the vehicle price under 22k is a great setup: small enough to drive/maneuver on unfamiliar roads. Inexpensive purchase price with no high tech sensors and electronics to cost money to repair translates into low overall ownership cost. A unibody design improves the quality of both ride and handling.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. According to truecar, the model I want is selling for about $500 over sticker, but I would squeeze them down. If they don't want to play ball my current truck only has 30k miles so I'm fine with keeping it.

IOW, if I can't get a good deal I'll not do a deal.
They lowballed my trade enough that it wasn't worth dealing with them so I walked. I may just sell my current truck and then go buy a new truck.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #77

Quote:
They lowballed my trade enough that it wasn't worth dealing with them so I walked. I may just sell my current truck and then go buy a new truck.
Pb4,
I tried to buy a new Honda pickup about a year ago.
I had a beautiful perfect top of the line Civic sedan to trade in.
The truck was on an end of year sale, with a decent price. New year models were coming in.
They offered a terribly low trade in value. I told them it was in excellent condition, but I would accept the KBB "very good" trade in value. They came up some, but were still $200 below the VG value.
I basically walked away from the deal over $200, and they never counter offered. I'm not sure which one of us was more stubborn.
I bought a Colorado instead, and I really like it.
Take care, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
Pb4,
I tried to buy a new Honda pickup about a year ago.
I had a beautiful perfect top of the line Civic sedan to trade in.
The truck was on an end of year sale, with a decent price. New year models were coming in.
They offered a terribly low trade in value. I told them it was in excellent condition, but I would accept the KBB "very good" trade in value. They came up some, but were still $200 below the VG value.
I basically walked away from the deal over $200, and they never counter offered. I'm not sure which one of us was more stubborn.
I bought a Colorado instead, and I really like it.
Take care, JP
I think it is safe to say the new truck market has been seller's market for the past year. It is not about stubbornness. It is about you walking into the dealership, all they see is fish on the chopping block. There is a long line of fish waiting outside.

I am glad I got my used daily driver right before the pandemic hit and before all these car market craziness started.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler75 View Post
I liked my 70 Maverick I drove in college- 6 cylinder three on the tree. Got great gas mileage. Became a three on the floor after i broke the shifter off of the tree. Cheaper to cut a hole in the floor board an toss in a new shifter than pay for a new column one.

Unfortunately the location of the gears were backwards on the floor, ie. normal 1st gear on the floor was reverse. Would have loved to see someone try to steal it and drive away!

My first car in high school was a blue Maverick 4 door. Rusty. 250 straight six. Burned some oil, bit rusty. Cost me $400 in 1983.

Not exactly a collector and was not the Grabber model with the 302 V8. Not exactly a chick magnet either…… still isn’t I would imagine.

Swanee
swaneesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

As a follow up, I had a ‘71 Maverick Grabber in college. 302 V-8. Forest green with silver decal striping. No A/C. Bucket seats with 3 speed auto on the floor. Didn’t produce anywhere near the horsepower as the 302’s in the current Mustangs. Overall good car with no problems. Although the factory carburetor sucked in cold weather. Really had to warm the car up or it would cough and sputter and die a couple times. Needed an after market Carb.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote