Join Early Retirement Today

Pick-up Truck Purchase
Old 05-17-2021, 05:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pick-up Truck Purchase

I would like to buy a new or slightly used pick-up truck. I was leaning towards a Toyota Tacoma. Originally thought I would go for less expensive model with access cab and limited options (<$30000). DW want the loaded model ( $40000). I want the truck to carry kayaks and bikes. With the current production shortages and high demand used market, I not sure if this is really a good time to buy? I normally keep vehicles for 10 to 15 years and don't put on many miles. Opinions are welcome.
Boo
BooBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just did a quick look on the Edmunds app and there are plenty available in your price range or less. I didn’t check out the options, but if you find one you like, go for it.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I saw something yesterday that said current conditions made this the worst time in the history of the auto industry to buy a car or truck - especially used. Unless you have no choice, wait.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's always a good time to buy a pickup truck. New or used, you can't go wrong with a Tacoma. Go for it!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo View Post
I would like to buy a new or slightly used pick-up truck. I was leaning towards a Toyota Tacoma. Originally thought I would go for less expensive model with access cab and limited options (<$30000). DW want the loaded model ( $40000). I want the truck to carry kayaks and bikes. With the current production shortages and high demand used market, I not sure if this is really a good time to buy? I normally keep vehicles for 10 to 15 years and don't put on many miles. Opinions are welcome.
Boo
Tacoma is an outdated design, so I got a great lease deal on a loaded one a couple of years ago...4x4 crew cab Sport trim for ~$300/month, $0 down, all taxes/fees rolled into the monthly payment.

Lease deals are not as good right now but I'd still lease if I wanted a new one.

Here's the broker I used:

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/may-t...4runner-335mo/
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

There’s no doubt you’re not going to get the best deal right now. However, how long are you willing to wait? It’s like the stock market, no one knows for sure when this will change. By then you may not even be able to ride your bikes. Given how long you intend to own it, I would get the best deal you can on a good used truck and get on with the fun you intend to have. I would say to get a new one, but good luck finding one. I bought new a truck about 6 weeks ago and I basically had to buy it sight unseen while it was in transit to the dealer. Of course I could have rejected it, but the point is, it’s not like I got to shop around for the perfect options. I was lucky though to get the options I wanted.

Unfortunately, I think most are not being shipped at this point due to the chip shortage. They’re building some and Then they’re going to install the modules that they couldn’t during assembly when they get the chips. Not sure I’d want anything to do with that. So, a used one could be a better option right now.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Tacoma is an outdated design, so I got a great lease deal on a loaded one a couple of years ago...4x4 crew cab Sport trim for ~$300/month, $0 down, all taxes/fees rolled into the monthly payment.

Lease deals are not as good right now but I'd still lease if I wanted a new one.
I'm not sure leasing is optimal if you plan to keep the truck for 10-15 years, as the OP said...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've had five new Toyota's between ~2008 and 2015.... Tundra's and Sequoia's and all 4x4's. Never had any trouble with any of them. Good reliable vehicles. The Tundra's and Sequoia's were "assembled" here in the US... I think many Tacoma's are too. Note, a Tacoma is considered a mid size pickup, nothing wrong with that unless you plan on heavier towing or needing a lot of power.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys will probably disagree but after driving Toyota pickup trucks for 20 years I switched to a Ram. We could not get comfortable with the seats and also you really can’t see over the hood of the Tacoma. The bed is extremely small as well. The way I looked at it for $5,000 I got a 1/3 bigger truck with a v8. And Tacoma gets terrible gas mileage considering how small it is and v6 engine. Just my opinion!
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
You guys will probably disagree but after driving Toyota pickup trucks for 20 years I switched to a Ram. We could not get comfortable with the seats and also you really can’t see over the hood of the Tacoma. The bed is extremely small as well. The way I looked at it for $5,000 I got a 1/3 bigger truck with a v8. And Tacoma gets terrible gas mileage considering how small it is and v6 engine. Just my opinion!
Funny you mention that since I switched to RAM too (from Toyota) in 2020 with my last PU purchase... Love that Hemi.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
Well all those are true however I had a lot of reliability issues with the Ram that I bought new. In fact I spent over $7000 in repairs after the warranty. That was only in a total of 64000 miles and 8 years old. Enough to sour me. I am very happy with my now 12 year old Tacoma. I was able to change the seat angle with a little bit of design and hardware change and it made all the difference and I can now ride all day in it in very good comfort. If you need a very large bed then yeah a Tacoma is the wrong choice. I place a premium on reliability. The Ram certainly looks nice though.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #12

Used car (and truck) prices were up 10% in month of April. 10% in one month. I have a 2001 Ranger that needs some transmission work to get past inspections so I just made a deal to sell it next month when the buyer will have the cash and I'll plan to watch closely but plan to wait till after the shortage and things return to somewhat normal. I saw one 2011 Ranger with 93K miles that was advertised at $17K. That seems to me to be a lot to pay for a 1/3 of the life left at best. Since I don't know how long I'll still be able to do the work that requires a truck I don't want to wait too long but I got my mulch loads in already and will rely on our Highlander and 2 Honda bikes for my transportation in the mean time. Just one approach
Old 05-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
I'm not sure leasing is optimal if you plan to keep the truck for 10-15 years, as the OP said...
Plenty of older people choose to lease to reduce "auto" costs to a line item in their monthly budget, even if they never use all the mileage.

Can always buy it out at the end of the lease...after the "extended test drive."

That's what I'm doing this year after the lease ends since prices are so inflated right now.

Normally I'd just lease again or buy used, but both of those options are currently more expensive than I prefer to pay for pickups.

BTW, all new Tacomas are now hecho en Mexico...only the Tundra is still assembled in the U.S.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I saw something yesterday that said current conditions made this the worst time in the history of the auto industry to buy a car or truck - especially used. Unless you have no choice, wait.

I just can't watch these two..it's 90% banter (and not good banter) with 10% facts and they change their "facts" every week.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
BTW, all new Tacomas are now hecho en Mexico...only the Tundra is still assembled in the U.S.
Last time I looked the Tacoma's were being assembled in both the US and Mexico... Doesn't surprise me to see it's all being done in Mexico now.. I know Mexico is also building a lot (certainly not all) of the engines for US cars.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #16

For bikes and kayaks you don't need a truck -- you're planning to haul only a few hundred pounds at most. A midsized SUV will do the trick, using a roof rack or a small trailer if necessary. You'll save money on the vehicle and on fuel.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
For bikes and kayaks you don't need a truck -- you're planning to haul only a few hundred pounds at most. A midsized SUV will do the trick, using a roof rack or a small trailer if necessary. You'll save money on the vehicle and on fuel.
+1
That's what I was thinking, OP really just needs a trailer to pull - cheap and can leave the kayaks on it in between trips.

OR
Get a Van, with the middle seats out or down, can stick 2 bikes in back of the van and have a LOT of free space for other things, all protected from the weather.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #18

I’m not the only one, but for me, a SUV has its purpose. We have a highlander and great for trips, but I prefer a truck for day to day use. Just my preference and since I’m buying it…
Old 05-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I’m not the only one, but for me, a SUV has its purpose. We have a highlander and great for trips, but I prefer a truck for day to day use. Just my preference and since I’m buying it…
Yeh well, I don't own an SUV myself. I have a Ranger FX4 that tows 2,500-3,000 lbs fairly regularly. Otherwise I drive a sedan as the Ranger gets 16 mpg.

For the OP's purpose, a truck seems like overkill and an SUV/van would be more efficient.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #20

Used Tacomas hold their value very very well. So much that you will probably find that better to just buy new unless you look at older than 5 years, probably 10 to get down to what used vehicles more typically cost.

Get what you want, so what if it is not the most practical or top maximizing financial choice. I do agree that right now there is high demand for all trucks, and it will be tougher to make a deal.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote