Pick-up Truck Purchase

Check out the Honda Ridgeline. It's a unibody construction, so not that tough. But it is very versatile with Honda reliability.

With all the talk of vehicle shortages and high prices, I wonder how long before car theft rates skyrocket? Thinking I need to clean out the garage and park both vehicles inside - a Honda Accord EX and a Lexus RX.

The 2013 Corolla LE is garaged in Arizona. Bought it new on sale in December 2012 for $14,995. Carvana wants to give me $11,288 today, with 44k miles.

With all the talk of vehicle shortages and high prices, I wonder how long before car theft rates skyrocket? Thinking I need to clean out the garage and park both vehicles inside - a Honda Accord EX and a Lexus RX.

The 2013 Corolla LE is garaged in Arizona. Bought it new on sale in December 2012 for $14,995. Carvana wants to give me $11,288 today, with 44k miles.

Nail down the purchase details for the new vehicle first, then deal with selling the old one...

Didn't see them mentioned, so I'll throw two more into the mix. Ford will introduce the Maverick soon, and Hyundai already announced the Santa Cruz. These mark the return of small pickups to the US market, which sounds more like what OP needs. I personally just sold my Nissan Frontier in anticipation of buying one of these small trucks. I'm leaning toward the Hyundai, but will wait to see prices and specs on both before I pull the trigger.

In terms of reliability you cant beat the Tacoma, but they hang on to their value like you wouldn't believe. You're in for some sticker shock I expect.

In terms of reliability you cant beat the Tacoma, but they hang on to their value like you wouldn't believe. You're in for some sticker shock I expect.

You're absolutely right about the durability. But styling still lacks in comparison with the Ranger & even the GM offerings.

My 2020 F150 STX with the 2.7 Ecoboost was still cheaper than my cousin's 2020 Tacoma. I've got much, much more vehicle--including a back seat as large as a limo's.

Because something's mid size doesn't mean it's a best value.

Yeh well, I don't own an SUV myself. I have a Ranger FX4 that tows 2,500-3,000 lbs fairly regularly. Otherwise I drive a sedan as the Ranger gets 16 mpg.

For the OP's purpose, a truck seems like overkill and an SUV/van would be more efficient.

Ugh on the Rangers mileage. My 2015 F-150 3.5L Eco-boost has averaged right around 20MPG+ over its life (65K miles). Most of that is not towing, but a considerable amount of mileage is with winter snow tires + 400# over the back axle, and some of it is w/the truck full of wood or pulling my L-Series Kabuto on a 20' trailer.

I'm just mentioning this because the newer trucks (including mine with > 2000 # payload and capable of trailering 10K#) have improved mileage.

And yes, I agree, for the OP's use case a truck seems like overkill.

Didn't see them mentioned, so I'll throw two more into the mix. Ford will introduce the Maverick soon, and Hyundai already announced the Santa Cruz. These mark the return of small pickups to the US market, which sounds more like what OP needs. I personally just sold my Nissan Frontier in anticipation of buying one of these small trucks. I'm leaning toward the Hyundai, but will wait to see prices and specs on both before I pull the trigger.

Although I already own a truck (F150), a (now) vintage car (94 Camaro Z28), an old Subaru, I have this perverse, unexplainable desire to seriously check these "mini" trucks out. I have no use case for them (well, I guess I could pretend to tell myself that it would provide the same functionality as my Outback), but I can't stop myself from looking at articles on them.

It's not a new thing - while I never bought one I always had the same weird fascination with the Subaru Baja.

Ugh on the Rangers mileage. My 2015 F-150 3.5L Eco-boost has averaged right around 20MPG+ over its life (65K miles). Most of that is not towing, but a considerable amount of mileage is with winter snow tires + 400# over the back axle, and some of it is w/the truck full of wood or pulling my L-Series Kabuto on a 20' trailer.

I'm just mentioning this because the newer trucks (including mine with > 2000 # payload and capable of trailering 10K#) have improved mileage.

Ford's 4.0 SOHC engine was never known for economy. It has its faults, but it's reliable and long-lived if treated properly.

Direct injection with turbo has entirely changed the game over the last half dozen years or so. In 2019 DW and I rented a Fusion AWD with (IIRC) a 2.7 liter Ecoboost, and I was surprised to find that its passing power was equal to my '95 BMW 540i -- a car with respectable punch in its day.

If I were still driving 30K miles a year I'd be a little wary of GDI engine longevity. I know some makes have had trouble with high-pressure fuel pumps, oil dilution and, in Ford's case, head gaskets. But I don't drive that much anymore, so my next vehicle will probably be an Ecoboost.

Last edited:
I've had five new Toyota's between ~2008 and 2015.... Tundra's and Sequoia's and all 4x4's. Never had any trouble with any of them. Good reliable vehicles. The Tundra's and Sequoia's were "assembled" here in the US... I think many Tacoma's are too. Note, a Tacoma is considered a mid size pickup, nothing wrong with that unless you plan on heavier towing or needing a lot of power.

They have also had significant frame rust issues, too...of course Toyota tried to cover it up.

I just can't watch these two..it's 90% banter (and not good banter) with 10% facts and they change their "facts" every week.

Of course they do. They are running a YT channel trying to get more money..er, I meand views and more subs. :cool:

Op, I bought a new Tacoma 3 years ago. I had planned to buy used. But, the used prices appeared high. I made a spreadsheet comparing new vs. used figuring I would drive both for 250k total miles. By the time I adjusted the used vehicles for their current miles, the new vehicles where cheaper per mile. Total price was higher for new but the cost per mile was lower. See, you can go get a new truck! :)

Ford's 4.0 SOHC engine was never known for economy. It has its faults, but it's reliable and long-lived if treated properly.

Direct injection with turbo has entirely changed the game over the last half dozen years or so. In 2019 DW and I rented a Fusion AWD with (IIRC) a 2.7 liter Ecoboost, and I was surprised to find that its passing power was equal to my '95 BMW 540i -- a car with respectable punch in its day.

If I were still driving 30K miles a year I'd be a little wary of GDI engine longevity. I know some makes have had trouble with high-pressure fuel pumps, oil dilution and, in Ford's case, head gaskets. But I don't drive that much anymore, so my next vehicle will probably be an Ecoboost.

I was initially hesitant to go 3.5L twin-turbo (eco-boost) vs traditional V8. But the more I read the better I felt about it. I was also helped by a sample of one, my nephew has a 20113.5L Eco-boost and had (at the time I bought my 2015) 110K miles on it. Hard miles as the family has a farm and he is continually hauling things with it. He now has north of 200K on it, still going strong.

Like you, I'm not doing that kind of mileage, more in the 13K/year range on my truck. (It was even lower but has been increasing lately because my child is away at school so I've made a number of trips).

They have also had significant frame rust issues, too...of course Toyota tried to cover it up.
I really can't speak to that since I never saw it... Could be that I didn't keep any of them long enough to develop rust problems.

My 2016 F-150 with the same engine also gets around 20 mpg when not too heavily loaded and not driving too fast.

I just got a load of crushed stone weighing 2040 lbs dumped into it for an ongoing project. I'm a few hundred lbs over the GVW with that sort of load, so I shovel some of the stone forward to keep the front wheels firmly on the ground.

Sometimes, when you get a more capable vehicle, you find more things to do with it...

Throwing bikes & kayaks in the back of a PU is so much easier than hoisting them up on the roof of an SUV. I see his point. Not that it’s relevant, but I bought my 1999 V6 Dodge Dakota Sport in 2006 with 90k miles on it for $4500. 15 years and 90k miles later, it has been the lowest cost vehicle per mile I ever owned, by a huge margin, and never was stored in a garage. Sure, plenty of tires & ball joints (ball joints myself), and other things that would be expensive to pay to have done, but with a decent equipped garage & tools, a very easy truck to work on. Did the heater core, (very stupid location), AC evap & fan motor dropping the dash in a day. Parts were less than $200. Saved $1500 in labor. Of course it’s got some rust, but I just paid to have the original muffler replaced. $150. Tailpipe was still sound. Replaced both cloudy headlights for $60. Parts are cheap. It burns a quart of oil every 5k miles. Last year I only drove it 300 miles. And it still started at the touch of the key. After the next minor project is finished (rental house), I’ve decided to sell it. I just am not comfortable with a 22 year old air bag thats been through 22 seasons of weather staring me in the face. And I can sell it in a NY minute for $1500.

Last edited:
+2 My 2016 GMC Canyon crew cab has averaged 20.9 mpg over the 29k miles that I have owned it.
2016 Colorado Crew cab, 21+ in mountain driving.

2015 Tacoma owner here. I love the truck! I bought the fully loaded model because of the stereo system (JBL). No regrets and no problems with the truck. Also added a super charger. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or the big brother Tundra.

BTW, all new Tacomas are now hecho en Mexico...only the Tundra is still assembled in the U.S.

Last time I looked the Tacoma's were being assembled in both the US and Mexico...

The only Tacoma assembly still done in the US will move to Mexico later this year:

Toyota is still set to shift Tacoma production from the San Antonio factory to its two plants in Mexico later this year.

https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/Toyota-sales-continue-rebound-from-16219933.php

I bought a new Tacoma in 2019, after my 2004 Colorado's frame rusted out and wouldn't pass inspection. Loved that truck, even at 204,000 miles. Now the Tacoma, it's got some quirks that I didn't realize we're missing, because I thought they we're standard equipment, i.e., key fob, intermittent wipers, automatic lights. It drives nice 99.90% of the time, it has a habit of downshifting hard when I want to coast down a hill. I almost swallow my teeth.

I bought a new Tacoma in 2019, after my 2004 Colorado's frame rusted out and wouldn't pass inspection. Loved that truck, even at 204,000 miles. Now the Tacoma, it's got some quirks that I didn't realize we're missing, because I thought they we're standard equipment, i.e., key fob, intermittent wipers, automatic lights. It drives nice 99.90% of the time, it has a habit of downshifting hard when I want to coast down a hill. I almost swallow my teeth.
The automatic trans in Taco will downshift by itself when going downhill? Is that a common feature? I wish my car does that but instead I have to move the gearshift to manual mode and set to 3rd max to avoid using the brake to slow the car down.

Downshifting when going down hills might be a Toyota thing. My '15 Corolla does the same on steeper hills. I appreciate the feature.

Back
Top Bottom