Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Picked my own pasture
Old 08-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations Kitty! Hope this works out well for you. I promised you some links about windpower a while ago in another thread. I may be trying some of this for a backup system or for conservation at some point. Solar and wind mixed may be a way to go. I am a tinkerer and a techie type with a farm so I will work with it.* I am pretty far north for pure solar. Anyway here are the links

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

http://www.excessenergy.net/windgenerators.htm

http://www.solarenergy.org/workshops/workshop.php?id=8

http://www.awea.org/

http://www.solarnavigator.net/wind_turbines.htm

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/general...714431,00.html

Bruce
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

How great. That does sound really wonderful.
NoloPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

A lot hasn't happened since my last post. I had to wait for the previous owners to move out and they have.

I paid the place a visit two weeks ago. I love that old place but it sure needs some work. I tried out the wood stove in what we call the living room and what the Amish call a meeting room. The stove works great. I got my lanterns to work including an Aladin lamp that"suprise" does as advertised a nice 60 watt none flickering light. I am moving some furniture in this coming weekend. It is a big job.

The big thing is I have a new boss.... the boss from hell ... a micro manager in spades. He and I don't get along. I am under way to much stress. He likes to belittle people and demand way more than can be deliverd. So I have called HRM and asked some questions about retirement and I have decided putting up with this jerk is to much. I am going to take an early/reduced retirement and be on my way. I called a real estate sales rep and talked to her last night and she was very frank about what I could get for the my house and that still makes it viable.
There is a time to quit shilly shallying and get on with what has to be done (retire).

I checked and depending how I figure my pension it might cost me $50 a month or $100 not a big deal. Just have to pick a date fill in the forms and sign a contract to have the house sold.

Still makes me nervous though. I have a BLOG now it is
http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Kitty :P
Old 10-23-2005, 04:58 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
A lot hasn't happened since my last post. I had to wait for the previous owners to move out and they have.

I paid the place a visit two weeks ago. I love that old place but it sure needs some work. I tried out the wood stove in what we call the living room and what the Amish call a meeting room. The stove works great. I got my lanterns to work including an Aladin lamp that"suprise" does as advertised a nice 60 watt none flickering light. I am moving some furniture in this coming weekend. It is a big job.

The big thing is I have a new boss.... the boss from hell ... a micro manager in spades. He and I don't get along. I am under way to much stress. He likes to belittle people and demand way more than can be deliverd. So I have called HRM and asked some questions about retirement and I have decided putting up with this jerk is to much. I am going to take an early/reduced retirement and be on my way. I called a real estate sales rep and talked to her last night and she was very frank about what I could get for the my house and that* still makes it viable.
There is a time to quit shilly shallying and get on with what has to be done (retire).

I checked and depending how I figure my pension it might cost me $50 a month or $100 not a big deal. Just have to pick a date fill in the forms and sign a contract to have the house sold.

You should have a BLOG. You write very well. Anyone who uses
"shilly shallying" is okay in my book.

I think you have your head on straight ER-wise. i.e. get on with it chop-chop! Re. "this old house"....
that looks like fun. Always did but I never had the skills or the time.
Now, I still don't have the skills and I have time but no energy.

Yesterday, I bumped into a life long buyer of fixer uppers who owns a cottage
here. He has owned about half the cottages in my neighborhood at one time or another. About 3 months ago he bought yet another one (I can see
it from my desk as I type). Anyway, this guy is coming off prostate
surgery and is about my age. I told him yesterday that I really admired
him because (while I see the same deals) I have no energy
(okay I'm lazy too )...................he said "Five years ago I would not have
understood what you meant. I do now". Listen up you youngsters.
It sneaks up on you. One day you are leaping out of bed in the morning
ready to take on the world. Blink twice and you are unsure if you can even
get up. much less make it
through the day. Nature is going to have it's way with us
soon enough. You will be well advised to enjoy the journey.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:34 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
You should have a BLOG. You write very well. Anyone who uses
"shilly shallying" is okay in my book.
JG, it's time to wake up now, Kitty has one.

Quote:
Kitty, best of luck with your new "spartan" lifestyle. I agree with JG, you do have a wonderful writing style.

MJ
Old 10-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, all, for your kind words.

It has been said that I have a peculiar way of expressing my view of life. Or, was it that am just peculiar? Either way it suits me.

Kitty
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #47

Kitty,

I've enjoyed reading about your farm. Thanks for sharing and I'd love to hear more. I'll check your blog occasionally to see how things are going.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Thank you, all, for your kind words.

It has been said that I have a peculiar way of expressing my view of life. Or, was it that am just peculiar? Either way it suits me.

Kitty
Suits me too.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #49

Kitty,

It is great to hear from you again. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how everything was going. I am so glad that you are doing the blog-I have it in my favorites now. I enjoy your writing very much also and I admire what you are doing. Thanks so much for keeping in touch! I am glad to see that you are living your dream!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Well things are moving along a pace. Took the first load of stuff to the farm and spent a day digging a ditch to get the water line repaired; that took only four trips to the only hardware store. Getting to know all the folks there real good.

I spent a week at the farm, sans amenities, we did get the water line to work the last few days so it made life a little easier.
Living without electricity is interesting. Oil lamps will work if they are large enough. Propane lamps give more light but make a hissing noise; I guess you get use to that noise.

I thought bathing would be a bigger bother than it was. I used a solar shower bought at a camping store, works great. I am thinking of improvements already to the shower setup.

Cooking on a wood fired stove is not bad either mine has a hot water tank in the back that holds over ten gallons of hot water. Lugging wood for the stoves is good exercise and keeps you toned up. My neighbor harvested the hay and turned over the garden space with his tractor for me. I discussed other rural topics like pasture improvement, tree planting and composting with him.

I think I am going to like this place after a week of living there I didn't want to return to my house in Virginia. I found that the local Library has free internet access so comunicating by email is possible even if the phone doesn't get put in right away.

I also liked the idea that after lunch I could if my schedule permitted take a nap-this improved my disposition. I like the stroll down the long driveway to check the mail and hearing the clippity clop of the Amish buggies as they pass the farm.

I found I have live stock already, pigeons, the previous owners left their pigeons in the barn. They seem to be doing well on their own.

The big news is I sent in my retirement papers. I will know in a week when my last day will be. I am not eager to inform my boss. I want him to remain the P. I. A. he has been so I can leave without even a hint of second thoughts.
I was so intense about getting the ret. application in that I waited for the DHL courier and personally put the envelope in his hands and made sure it was addressed correctly and that he didn't drop the envelope on the way to his truck.

Last night the night after I sent in the ret. papers I slept soundly and awoke refreshed. The die is cast the wheels ar turning etc. etc.

Kitty
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #51

Kitty,

I am sure that it is a good feeling knowing that your retirement papers are in the mail! I think that it will be such a relief to figure out when the time is right for me.

I thought that what you were doing was so neat and it is for you, but I had to rethink everything when we lost our electricity for 20 some hours. I did not enjoy anything about not having electricity at all. My 16 yr old daughter went to her brother's house for the night! We are just a bunch of wimps and I will be the first to admit it.

I do think that it would be fun to go to a place like yours for a one or two night stay as long as it was not in the winter. A bed and breakfast type of thing. I could rough it for a day or two and experience the simple life, as long as I could go back to modern conveniences.

I really do admire you doing it and all of the hard work that you are doing!!!

Dreamer
Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

A lot of folks might not believe it but it is not that hard to live without electricity. It is a lot quieter than usual, and it does seem odd at times to strike a match to light a lamp instead of flipping a switch.

I gave up on the Teley over a year ago and feel much more upbeat than with the constant yammer of TV's gloom and doom news. Most of what passes for entertainment is trash done poorly. I would rather go outside and walk the dog or watch the stars at night.

Good honest labor is good for the body and for the soul/mind. I know I sound weird, but work that you want to do is fun and if you share the labor it isn't all that much. Besides when you are the boss you can decide what to do how to do it and when to do it.

I will take on tasks I think I can do and hire out other tasks that are beyond me for one reason or the other.

My motto, if you will, is to keep life simple.

Kitty

Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #53

I'd guess that there's a big difference between having no electricity in a standard modern house versus no electricity in a house that is designed to function without electricity.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #54

Hi Kitty -

I am intrigued by what you're doing.* I enjoyed reading your blog - hope you keep it up.* *Thanks for sharing with us!

Sheryl
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:36 AM   #55

I agree completely about the noise. Silence can be golden and it is very hard to find silence in the modern world.

I think that TromboneAl has it right that there is a big difference between a house that has electricity and one that doesn't have it. As a matter of fact, I kept thinking of you and your house with your oil lanterns and wood burning stove, and how you would not be afffected with an electricity outtage.

Dreamer
Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitty,

I love your blog pages.* They're redolent of a bygone era and are so soothing and comforting.* I wish you tremendous luck with your new life.* Please keep posting here to let us know how you're doing.

jj
Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I was reading a book called "Better Off" written by
This book is the real life adventure of a young author who as a grad student took on the challange to live in a community who shunned most modern devices.

His term for this collection of people was Mimimist(s) folks who don't use technology or limit their use of technology. He learns more than what he bargined for in living, working and sharing with these people. He came away learning more about being a member of a community, family and faith. He learned work shared was a different experience than work alone. Or as they put it many hand makes light work.

Each person takes their road to their own place. Whether we use a compass, paper map or GPS doesn't matter-it is what we learn on the journey about ourselves and others that matters.

Keep it simple enjoy the trip.
Kitty
Old 11-11-2005, 04:07 AM   #58

Kitty,
I love your blog and pictures. Enjoy your new life and make the most of it.
Let us know more!
Chris
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #59

Kitty,

You've probably thought of this already, but maybe you should write a book about this at some point.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I am keeping notes.
I am sure I will have some amusing things happen as I learn how to live this way of life. Even if it is not a best seller it will fill my spare time with creative activity.
I should get a book on how to write such a book.
Kitty