Join Early Retirement Today

Pickle Ball?
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
gone traveling

Pickle Ball?

I played for the first time today with a couple of other beginners and it was a blast. Definitely a cross between ping pong and tennis, both of which I played as a teen. One of the guys had purchased a cheap 4 paddle set for about $40, but he is suggesting everyone get their own better quality paddles. Does a better quality paddle make much of a difference compared to the cheap wood ones and if so, does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I play Pickleball 6x weekly. The paddle definitely makes a difference. There are many good quality paddles in the 70-80 range which have a graphite surface and a honeycomb weave inside.
A popular beginner/intermediate racquet is the Onix Z5 model. The only negative is the pop off the racquet is a little louder than the typical racquet, which might not matter.
The top of the line racquets are ~150 and going higher. Some of these racquets are made by Paddletek/Selkirk and others.
I use a 150 price model from Selkirk and the vibration dampening and soft feel of the racquet makes a difference.
I would first see if you continue to like the game. Beware it can be obsessive over time.
If you have hand/eye coordination and played racquetball/tennis/ping pong in the past and are decent in any of those sports, you will pick up the game in no time.

Have fun and keep us updated.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
gone traveling

Thanks for the recommendations and info Dtail. We played outside in a little wind, but it was quite enjoyable in the cooler weather and are planning to play 2x week weather permitting. Our town also has a new senior center that is presently being built that will have indoor courts which I imagine are much better in the summertime. Maybe there will be some black friday sales for paddles.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations and info Dtail. We played outside in a little wind, but it was quite enjoyable in the cooler weather and are planning to play 2x week weather permitting. Our town also has a new senior center that is presently being built that will have indoor courts which I imagine are much better in the summertime. Maybe there will be some black friday sales for paddles.
Indoor playing is cool too. Actually there are specific indoor and outdoor balls, due to the wind factor.
If playing on a basketball type surface indoors, the ball will skip lower more of the time.
I played outdoors in the Florida morning heat this summer and it does get quite hot and humid. 2 guys passed out due to heat exhaustion.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started off with a $60 paddle. Then I upgraded to a $90 paddle. Then I upgraded to a $150 paddle. And now I have the $200 Selkirk Vanguard paddle that just came out.

The lesson I’ve learned with pickleball is no matter what paddle you buy you will eventually get hooked and end up buying the pro line of paddles because they are so much easier to play with once you get better at the game. So now I tell people not to bother buying economy paddles any more. They end up giving them away and upgrading within a few months.

The most popular paddle in our region is the Selkirk Invikta paddle. They sell for $150. You can usually get a 10-15% discount if you shop around.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

if you go to a place like pickleball central you can order different types of paddles and return it within 30 days I think.

I am another addict but it is a cheaper addiction than cycling though the doctor bills add up ;-)
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

How's pickleball on the knees? I have two knees with arthritis and a torn ACL in one. How much moving around in the game?
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
How's pickleball on the knees? I have two knees with arthritis and a torn ACL in one. How much moving around in the game?
People of all ages and athletic abilities can play pickleball. It helps to bend your knees when you hit the ball to keep it low but I play with a lot of people who can’t bend that well and they still have a lot of fun. I’ve played with people as old as 90 years old and as young as 12. It’s a game that can be played by virtually anyone.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I started off with a $60 paddle. Then I upgraded to a $90 paddle. Then I upgraded to a $150 paddle. And now I have the $200 Selkirk Vanguard paddle that just came out.

The lesson I’ve learned with pickleball is no matter what paddle you buy you will eventually get hooked and end up buying the pro line of paddles because they are so much easier to play with once you get better at the game. So now I tell people not to bother buying economy paddles any more. They end up giving them away and upgrading within a few months.

The most popular paddle in our region is the Selkirk Invikta paddle. They sell for $150. You can usually get a 10-15% discount if you shop around.
Hey @Ready
I currently have the Selkirk Amped S2 (150), which I really love. It is a little beat up though and I was considering the Selkirk Vanguard, although the S2 not the Invikta.

How do you like the paddle and is it worth the extra $50, not to mention I might be able to make the case to Selkirk for a free Amped replacement with their lifetime warranty.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People of all ages and athletic abilities can play pickleball. It helps to bend your knees when you hit the ball to keep it low but I play with a lot of people who can’t bend that well and they still have a lot of fun. I’ve played with people as old as 90 years old and as young as 12. It’s a game that can be played by virtually anyone.
I agree with @Ready although up to a certain point. The higher level (4.0 and above) players have a tougher time if they have bad lower backs and knee issues.
I have played with 2 nationally ranked 87 year old players.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Hey @Ready
I currently have the Selkirk Amped S2 (150), which I really love. It is a little beat up though and I was considering the Selkirk Vanguard, although the S2 not the Invikta.

How do you like the paddle and is it worth the extra $50, not to mention I might be able to make the case to Selkirk for a free Amped replacement with their lifetime warranty.
The Vanguard paddle is fantastic. Almost everyone I play with has now switched to it. It just feels really solid to play with. I paid the extra $5.00 to get the exact weight I wanted (8.4 ounces). We have a fair amount of wind here so a slightly heavier paddle works better for me.

I get a pretty good discount on the Vanguard line because I’m a USAP Ambassador so it wasn’t quite so expensive for me, but even if I had to pay full price for it I would definitely go for it.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Vanguard paddle is fantastic. Almost everyone I play with has now switched to it. It just feels really solid to play with. I paid the extra $5.00 to get the exact weight I wanted (8.4 ounces). We have a fair amount of wind here so a slightly heavier paddle works better for me.

I get a pretty good discount on the Vanguard line because I’m a USAP Ambassador so it wasn’t quite so expensive for me, but even if I had to pay full price for it I would definitely go for it.
Cool, good to know.
I also paid the extra $5 for my S2, although I like the slightly less heavy 8.0 oz paddle.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #13
gone traveling

is longer and narrower shape paddle better than shorter and wider? Just thinking it might help with reach.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
is longer and narrower shape paddle better than shorter and wider? Just thinking it might help with reach.
IIRC, there is a maximum on the length of the racquet and the total circumference, although not the width.
The difference between a "long" paddle and an average length one is typically only a half inch or so.
From my perspective, I like to slice/spin the ball more, so a wider paddle with a larger "sweet spot" is my preference.
Most of the players I play with typically don't have the longer paddles, although a few do.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #15

I play about 5x/week. I am fairly "new" to the game. 67 years old. The first time I played, just before my 65th birthday, I ruptured my right achilles tendon. First time on the court. Vowed to never play again, but DW was having so much fun playing without me, after a 15 month rehab, I started again. I am now about 13 months into it. No catastrophic injuries, although I don't think my knees are as happy as they were before. I am in the process of trying to figure out if they hurt from the game, or from all of the exercises I do to try to avoid injury.

I don't know how hold you are, OP, but I have had to learn to just not go for things as hard as I once did. Live to play another day, I say.

BTW, if you haven't discovered it yet, there is a ton of instructional information, and professional matches to watch on YouTube.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #16

It’s important to wear court shoes when you play. I see a lot of people playing in running shoes. They don’t have enough support for side to side movements like tennis or basketball shoes do.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a novice so forgive my ignorance. But what can a $200 paddle do that a cheaper one can't. No offense but I had to laugh when someone mentioned vibration dampening. It's a whiffle ball for Gods sake how much vibration is there? I tend to get tendonitis in my elbow and have to wear a brace for tennis or racquetball but don't need it for pickleball because the ball is so light. I have a $30 graphite paddle. Would I expect to be able to spin the ball better/easier? What other advantages of a higher quality paddle?
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I'm a novice so forgive my ignorance. But what can a $200 paddle do that a cheaper one can't. No offense but I had to laugh when someone mentioned vibration dampening. It's a whiffle ball for Gods sake how much vibration is there? I tend to get tendonitis in my elbow and have to wear a brace for tennis or racquetball but don't need it for pickleball because the ball is so light. I have a $30 graphite paddle. Would I expect to be able to spin the ball better/easier? What other advantages of a higher quality paddle?
I was getting tennis elbow playing pickleball with a cheap $60 paddle. The paddle does not absorb the vibration so my arm was absorbing it. With a high quality paddle the paddle absorbs the vibration and protects your elbow. Aside from that a high quality paddle will allow you to both drive shots and dink with a light touch so that you don’t pop the ball up and set your opponents up to slam it at you.

But if your $30 paddle is working for you then no need to spend more.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
WADR, you state you are a beginner, but then can't believe the comments of more experienced players.
In addition to what @Ready stated, why not go watch a pickleball match close up at the 4.0 level and above or play against that level and then come back and state how fast the ball travels.
Yes when the players are at higher levels, the paddle makes a difference as to power/spin/slice and overall control.

I usually have a good time when the tennis players in the nearby courts make fun of the "plastic ball" and then come over to challenge us and get their butts kicked, plus for extra good measure, I add in some stinging shots to the body.
I came from tennis/racquetball/ping pong and have heard it all......
Old 11-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I play about 5x/week. I am fairly "new" to the game. 67 years old. The first time I played, just before my 65th birthday, I ruptured my right achilles tendon. First time on the court. Vowed to never play again, but DW was having so much fun playing without me, after a 15 month rehab, I started again. I am now about 13 months into it. No catastrophic injuries, although I don't think my knees are as happy as they were before. I am in the process of trying to figure out if they hurt from the game, or from all of the exercises I do to try to avoid injury.

I don't know how hold you are, OP, but I have had to learn to just not go for things as hard as I once did. Live to play another day, I say.

BTW, if you haven't discovered it yet, there is a ton of instructional information, and professional matches to watch on YouTube.
I am 71, but have come from playing softball that involved a lot of sprinting and rotating when hitting the ball. I was one of the faster guys on the team. While I only played for a little more than an hour yesterday, warmup plus 4 singles matches, I do not feel any ill effects from it whereas softball had much more impact on soreness and recovery. I suspect this is a good game for folks of all ages, especially as one ages, provided you have some degree of mobility and I am sure why this has become so popular. I am just surprised there are not more venues in our area to play the game.