Pickle Ball?

One of guys I play with found an instructor that does not charge for lessons and he spent some time with us yesterday. He showed us a lot of drills that were quite helpful. He also had a Selkirk Vanguard and Amped S2. I got to try his S2 for a few drills from the NVL and it was a huge improvement in control and being able to absorb a hot shot and just had an overall more solid feel vs my paddle. I can see why Dtail and Ready speak highly of these paddles. I did not get to try his Vanguard.

Good to see you tried it. The Vanguard for me has even more control and less stress on the elbow than the Amped.
The Selkirk upper level racquets are designed to be able to absorb the blows, as their thickness in design works nicely.
I am more of a control type player than a "banger", so the specific S2 type of racquet works better for me.
Keep practicing when you can and you will get even better.
Be careful, as it can become obsessive. lol

Our park is talking about converting unused shuffleboard courts to pickleball. I am interested in playing, but I hurt my knee years ago skiing, and cannot make the turns require for tennis. Can I play pickleball?
Thanks

Our park is talking about converting unused shuffleboard courts to pickleball. I am interested in playing, but I hurt my knee years ago skiing, and cannot make the turns require for tennis. Can I play pickleball?
Thanks

The knee pressure in Pickleball is more of the crouching variety. Are you able to crouch down, then back up to a standing position with no pain?
The turn to hit the ball in Pickleball is more of a step forward shot with a shoulder rotation; less knee rotation than tennis, but there can be some rotation on occasion.
Give it a try and see what happens.

Anybody playing pickleball after a hip replacement? I've been playing basketball but that is now out after THR. I played some pickleball as a lark and seemed to pick it up pretty quickly and enjoyed it. Wondering if it's something I could play when healed. I mean, I know I can play if I take it easy but I'm concerned about bending low for certain shots. I don't think I have the disposition to just let some shots go and concede the point.

Anybody playing pickleball after a hip replacement? I've been playing basketball but that is now out after THR. I played some pickleball as a lark and seemed to pick it up pretty quickly and enjoyed it. Wondering if it's something I could play when healed. I mean, I know I can play if I take it easy but I'm concerned about bending low for certain shots. I don't think I have the disposition to just let some shots go and concede the point.

DH had his hip replacement three years ago; we’ve been playing pickleball for two years. He does fine.

We find that aches and pains aren’t a function of how hard we play, but rather how often we play and playing surface. Outdoor courts (pavement) make my legs and feet hurt more than wooden indoor courts.

DH had his hip replacement three years ago; we’ve been playing pickleball for two years. He does fine.

We find that aches and pains aren’t a function of how hard we play, but rather how often we play and playing surface. Outdoor courts (pavement) make my legs and feet hurt more than wooden indoor courts.

Don't know about hip replacement play, but definitely agree with the above statement as to frequency and type of court.

My partner had a hip replacement years ago and seems to be doing fine. We both started as beginners a few weeks ago.

The guys I play with all upgraded to better paddles, so I relented and ordered a Gearbox GX6 8.5oz power paddle. Played with it today for the first time and it blew me away. I was a bit skeptical that a paddle could make much of difference, but was quite surprised at how much better this paddle performed vs my $49 dollar starter paddle.

The guys I play with all upgraded to better paddles, so I relented and ordered a Gearbox GX6 8.5oz power paddle. Played with it today for the first time and it blew me away. I was a bit skeptical that a paddle could make much of difference, but was quite surprised at how much better this paddle performed vs my $49 dollar starter paddle.

Good for you. Many folks don't believe a higher quality paddle can make a difference, until they play with one.
8.5 oz is definitely a little on the heavy side, but if it feels right to you, that's good.

Good for you. Many folks don't believe a higher quality paddle can make a difference, until they play with one.
8.5 oz is definitely a little on the heavy side, but if it feels right to you, that's good.

It honestly does not feel any heavier to me than the old one which I believe was 7.8oz. One thing that concerned me is Gearbox's largest offered handle size is 3 15/16", but the smaller size made no difference to me. I am now playing with a glove which also helped me.

It honestly does not feel any heavier to me than the old one which I believe was 7.8oz. One thing that concerned me is Gearbox's largest offered handle size is 3 15/16", but the smaller size made no difference to me. I am now playing with a glove which also helped me.

The glove will certainly come in handy during summer play, although the pros never use one.

Playing with a glove is challenging because it puts a layer between you and your paddle. So much of pickleball is feeling that connection between the paddle and ball and getting just the right touch down to hit the ball without popping it up. I used to use a glove when I played racquetball but when I tried one playing pickleball it did not go well for me.

Gearbox makes nice paddles. My Selkirk is 8.4 ounces. My prior one was only 7.8 ounces and I notice a big difference with the heavier paddle, especially when hitting into the wind.

Playing with a glove is challenging because it puts a layer between you and your paddle. So much of pickleball is feeling that connection between the paddle and ball and getting just the right touch down to hit the ball without popping it up. I used to use a glove when I played racquetball but when I tried one playing pickleball it did not go well for me.

Gearbox makes nice paddles. My Selkirk is 8.4 ounces. My prior one was only 7.8 ounces and I notice a big difference with the heavier paddle, especially when hitting into the wind.

True, but playing outside in FLA with 7 months of summer, my paddle handle was getting soaked through and slippery without a glove.

True, but playing outside in FLA with 7 months of summer, my paddle handle was getting soaked through and slippery without a glove.

Well I am not a pickleball player, but have played racquetball for 44 years. Several years ago started wearing a thin cotton liner glove under my RB glove. Like those "dust tester" gloves, I think Racquet World sells them. I play 2+ hours in the courts and never change a glove. Give it a try if you are having glove-soak issues. Might feel a little bulky at first, but makes a huge difference. Just throw them in the laundry when they get skunky.

Well I am not a pickleball player, but have played racquetball for 44 years. Several years ago started wearing a thin cotton liner glove under my RB glove. Like those "dust tester" gloves, I think Racquet World sells them. I play 2+ hours in the courts and never change a glove. Give it a try if you are having glove-soak issues. Might feel a little bulky at first, but makes a huge difference. Just throw them in the laundry when they get skunky.

Sorry but let me be more clear. If I don't wear a glove, then my paddle handle soaks through. I am fine with a glove.

Sorry but let me be more clear. If I don't wear a glove, then my paddle handle soaks through. I am fine with a glove.

I saw that after I posted, my bad. But to anyone using a glove and having glove soak issues, the liners are amazing. Not sure what the science behind it is, but the grip just never deteriorates when using them.

What are the pickleball paddle grips made of? Years ago the RB grips were wrapped leather or synthetics of some sort, but would absorb moisture and get sloppy after a while. Today, we all use textured surface rubber grips. They will destroy a glove eventually, but the grip, sweaty or not, is no longer an issue.

My hand sweats both with and without the glove, but I have a more secure grip with the glove and do not notice much of a loss of feel/touch. We have been playing mostly indoors which can be a bit warmer at this time of year. Glove use is really personal preference and is no different than baseball, where some play without batting gloves, while others use one glove on non-dominant hand, and others on both hands. I am using my softball batting glove, so nothing special. I have heard some like the gloves with the finger cutouts, but have not tried that type.

What type of shoes are you guys wearing for outdoor PB? I wear basketball shoes indoors because I like the support of a 3/4 shoe. Trainers? Tennis shoes? As in real shoes made for tennis, not the generic for sneakers.

What type of shoes are you guys wearing for outdoor PB? I wear basketball shoes indoors because I like the support of a 3/4 shoe. Trainers? Tennis shoes? As in real shoes made for tennis, not the generic for sneakers.

I wear Asics brand made for tennis shoe for outdoor pickleball. Cost is in the 100-125 range.
There are shoes made specifically for Pickleball, but I doubt they would be any different than a true tennis shoe.

I wear Asics brand made for tennis shoe for outdoor pickleball. Cost is in the 100-125 range.
There are shoes made specifically for Pickleball, but I doubt they would be any different than a true tennis shoe.

I prefer k-swiss made for tennis shoes. they have a lot of support and are very comfortable. i do wear asics indoor court shoes for both racquetball, squash and indoor pickleball.

I wear ASICS tennis shoes. We have an ASICS outlet store nearby that always carries one or two different styles and they frequently have a buy one get one free sale so I can get two pairs for around $80. But any “court” shoe will provide the lateral support you need to play pickleball. Just don’t use running shoes because they are not designed for side to side movements.

My problem is I need wide width. Almost impossible to find in stores. I usually stick with New Balance.

My problem is I need wide width. Almost impossible to find in stores. I usually stick with New Balance.

New Balance should work for you in their tennis shoes.

I wear a New Balance cross training sneaker, also because of wide feet. They are great.

Back
Top Bottom