Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My best buddy started playing pickleball this spring after following me into retirement. We have been playing tennis together since grade 6 but he stopped a few years ago due to back issues. Tore his Achilles tendon 2 weeks in! I watched them playing at the community centre a few times and could see how it happens. That no go zone is brutal for a previous tennis player!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
My best buddy started playing pickleball this spring after following me into retirement. We have been playing tennis together since grade 6 but he stopped a few years ago due to back issues. Tore his Achilles tendon 2 weeks in! I watched them playing at the community centre a few times and could see how it happens. That no go zone is brutal for a previous tennis player!
Used to play tennis myself. Yeah staying out of the kitchen is difficult at first, but one learns eventually to hit the ball without the step forward motion.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroscott View Post
It is definitely not you. I could understand mixing it up with mid/high W.X levels and the next level up of low/mid Y.Z. If there is more than 1 full level difference then you are completely right that the highest level person on the team then just doesn't get to play and what is the point of that for *either* team. Heck I like playing against a strong team as long as my partner is similar or higher than me. That is a challenge to improve and win points against them. I also like playing strategic people and not just bangers.

I could also see/think it would not bother you (certainly not me) if they want to split people up where everyone in the group is at pretty close to the same level.

Also some days you could just line up 8 people at the same level and rotate while other days you mix it up with folks within 1 to 1.5 levels. Let others think what they want. As long as you are mixing it up some times and helping others and the game grow then you are all good.
Thanks, glad to hear I’m not the only one.

I find myself constantly trying to balance my desire to be socially acceptable with my need to play at a competitive level, which is the only way I have any fun playing the game.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of the one and only time I played pickleball, resulting in a ruptured right achilles tendon. I haven't played since, and probably won't ever again. If I do it will be subdued. I played a lot of platform tennis, and like tennis, getting to the net is king, if you are young and agile enough to cover the deep lob, which at 65 I am not.

Anyway, to Ready's point, it can be tough either way. My wife has taken up the game, and loves it. She has advanced from beginner to advanced beginner. In the summertime we are north and there is no formal ranking system available, but when we return to The Villages there will be. She often finds herself overmatched. She says generally the players are kind, but sometimes the better players just slam it at her to get her off the court. But then when they need a 4th they want her to play.

As a platform tennis player, and I was an advanced player, playing in tournaments all over the northeast, against nationally ranked teams (getting my butt kicked) I played many a set at home, split up from my partner, and we always played down to the weaker players so they could get some returnable shots. The only times we got really frustrated were when the weaker players wouldn't take any strategic advice and would just try to slam everything, either into the net or out over the back line. Paddle is a winter game and you have to have extended rallies or you freeze to death.

But back to Ready's point again, it's tough either way, being the better players playing with beginners, or being a serious beginner who wants to learn and advance, and finding slightly better competition to help you along.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I am relatively new to PB. I started playing a few months ago when I moved to my CCRC. I now play 3X a week and enjoy it a lot. With TX temps and humidity, it's a great way to work up a sweat.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here...so it's been a year since my wife and I started playing PB after we moved to Central Texas from Hawai'i. The issues with beginners and more advanced players playing with each other during open play seems to be a common one and our new 55+ community, with 8 dedicated PB courts and 10 more planned, isn't immune to that. Since the community is fairly new and the 8 courts are hardly full at all, there aren't any problems scheduling play for more advanced players outside of the Open Play days/times...but I can see that being an issue once more and more properties are sold and more and more residents move in and take up PB.

We are fortunate to have a Pickleball Ambassador (a 4.0 player) as a resident in our community and he and his wife (a 4.5 player) are very active in promoting the sport, hosting an 8-week long Pickleball Fundamentals classes for residents in between their tournaments.

I am loving PB...but if given a choice between playing golf and shooting consistently in the 80s or being a 4.0 Pickleball player, I would readily choose to be a better golfer than a better PB player. But hey...maybe I can do both!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

They just built a pair of courts in our neighborhood.

Hardly anyone here knows how to play it.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-Guard23 View Post
OP here...so it's been a year since my wife and I started playing PB after we moved to Central Texas from Hawai'i. The issues with beginners and more advanced players playing with each other during open play seems to be a common one and our new 55+ community, with 8 dedicated PB courts and 10 more planned, isn't immune to that. Since the community is fairly new and the 8 courts are hardly full at all, there aren't any problems scheduling play for more advanced players outside of the Open Play days/times...but I can see that being an issue once more and more properties are sold and more and more residents move in and take up PB.

We are fortunate to have a Pickleball Ambassador (a 4.0 player) as a resident in our community and he and his wife (a 4.5 player) are very active in promoting the sport, hosting an 8-week long Pickleball Fundamentals classes for residents in between their tournaments.

I am loving PB...but if given a choice between playing golf and shooting consistently in the 80s or being a 4.0 Pickleball player, I would readily choose to be a better golfer than a better PB player. But hey...maybe I can do both!
Nice to have advanced players giving lessons.
I sometimes travel 25 minutes to play with more advanced players, but there are definitely more cliques there and not the same social scene as it gets more serious.
I do pick up new shots to use though.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Played Pickleball in a new venue today. Many experienced players who were all retired.
Great bunch of guys and gals.
One player was 86 y.o. and has won National tournaments. Great speaking with him.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #70
gone traveling

We moved from our outdoor courts to indoors last week. It was my first time indoors.

It's nice not to have to wear sun glasses and a hat while playing. It's nice not to have the wind move the ball around.

But for me, it's harder to see the lines on the shiny court. It can get a bit loud. And we only have three indoor courts, so there's more waiting for your turn.

Overall, I like playing indoors so far.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
We moved from our outdoor courts to indoors last week. It was my first time indoors.

It's nice not to have to wear sun glasses and a hat while playing. It's nice not to have the wind move the ball around.

But for me, it's harder to see the lines on the shiny court. It can get a bit loud. And we only have three indoor courts, so there's more waiting for your turn.

Overall, I like playing indoors so far.
Interesting, as this also was my first time playing indoors. Less tired without the sun. I actually like playing (against) the wind outdoors, as the side spins are exaggerated.
Also the ball skips forward on a lower projectory indoors and do share your thoughts on harder to see the lines.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #72
gone traveling

I know there are different balls for indoors and outdoors, and that the indoor balls have more, smaller holes.

I don't seem to be able to spin the ball indoors as well as I did outdoors.

It is the ball? I know I need more practice indoors - it's probably just that.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know there are different balls for indoors and outdoors, and that the indoor balls have more, smaller holes.

Taking out the wind effect, I found my side spins to be about the same indoors as outdoors.
However, the topspin (high to low type) shots definitely skid more on the inside.
Perhaps a little more practice, or it could depend to some extent the true apples to apples ball comparison outdoors to indoors of the specific balls you are playing for each.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #74

Quote:

do you notice this by the way the ball flies, or as it reacts to the court surface. Keep in mind two things about indoor PB

1. no wind, so any effect the wind may have on your spin shots don't exist indoors,

2. Indoor court surfaces tend to be less "grabby" than outdoor, so your spin shot won't "bite" as much indoors as outdoors.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #75

So, I'm watching an NFL game and I see Richard Sherman, a cornerback for the 49'ers intercept a pass and run around like, well, like an NFL cornerback who has just intercepted a pass. He's about 22 months post-achilles rupture. I'm about 14 months. I will be back in The Villages Dec. 1, which puts me at 15 months post rupture. I'm still working on the rehab diligently, and still making good progress, although I'm not "there" yet, as far as the injured leg being as strong as the uninjured leg, but I'm getting closer.

So, I think when I get back to Florida I'm going to start playing a little bit. I am going to start just by going on the court with DW and hitting some balls to her, to help her drill, and see how it feels. We also have friends who are going to just start playing, so maybe some very light, casual games among the 4 of us. If it feels good, and continues to improve, and I don't get hurt, I hope to play next Spring, back north, at our club.
The hardest part for me, I think, will be to restrain myself from my naturally competitive tendencies, and stay under some control.
It will be hard for me to do, when my side starts losing.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
So, I'm watching an NFL game and I see Richard Sherman, a cornerback for the 49'ers intercept a pass and run around like, well, like an NFL cornerback who has just intercepted a pass. He's about 22 months post-achilles rupture. I'm about 14 months. I will be back in The Villages Dec. 1, which puts me at 15 months post rupture. I'm still working on the rehab diligently, and still making good progress, although I'm not "there" yet, as far as the injured leg being as strong as the uninjured leg, but I'm getting closer.

So, I think when I get back to Florida I'm going to start playing a little bit. I am going to start just by going on the court with DW and hitting some balls to her, to help her drill, and see how it feels. We also have friends who are going to just start playing, so maybe some very light, casual games among the 4 of us. If it feels good, and continues to improve, and I don't get hurt, I hope to play next Spring, back north, at our club.
The hardest part for me, I think, will be to restrain myself from my naturally competitive tendencies, and stay under some control.
It will be hard for me to do, when my side starts losing.
That's the spirit.
Perhaps over time it can be the same.
I am playing with a repaired right knee ACL which is not affected at all on the court and I crouch many times for defense.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets

My family really enjoys pickleball. Dad started playing about 3 years ago (he is 72) and he plays anywhere from 3-6 days/week. The exercise, good competition and fellowship has been really good for him. When my Mom passed away 20 months ago that group really became a great outlet for him.

He has gotten many of his kids and grandkids to enjoy playing and it's a ton of fun. The people I have met through pickleball are extremely friendly and welcoming. It's also a good sport because it's less physically demanding than many others so it can be played competitively by older and younger people both male and female. Like any other game, it is more fun when the players are all close to the same skill.
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
My family really enjoys pickleball. Dad started playing about 3 years ago (he is 72) and he plays anywhere from 3-6 days/week. The exercise, good competition and fellowship has been really good for him. When my Mom passed away 20 months ago that group really became a great outlet for him.

He has gotten many of his kids and grandkids to enjoy playing and it's a ton of fun. The people I have met through pickleball are extremely friendly and welcoming. It's also a good sport because it's less physically demanding than many others so it can be played competitively by older and younger people both male and female. Like any other game, it is more fun when the players are all close to the same skill.
Spot on plus if one has hand/eye coordination and has already played a racket sport, Pickleball can be picked up within a couple of days. Then it is just the nuances of the ball and strategy.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #79

This week DH and I were invited to "try out" for a private, competitive pickleball group. The organizers want to keep the level of play high (3.5 and up), so don't want to let just anyone in. We know many of the players in this group from playing at other places, and they are very good players. We weren't sure we could make the cut.

We played at this private place / tried out on Wednesday. While we realize that we are at the low end of the spectrum with this group, we were deemed worthy of participating. The stronger players want to help players like us who are still learning, but willing to play in a competitive environment. DH and I were happy to be allowed to join because nothing makes us improve like having to regularly play against tough opponents.

We played again this morning. What a workout! Besides the physical aspect, I found it to be an exercise in focus. When any little mistake is likely to mean a loss of point, I sure have to concentrate. I think my brain got tired before my body.

We have this competitive group available 3 days/week, and will play at our regular indoor courts at other times. While there are strong players at our regular courts (some of them also play with the private group), it's an open play environment so we sometimes get mixed in with much weaker players. We can use those days to work on specific parts of our game and maybe help the weaker players improve.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
This week DH and I were invited to "try out" for a private, competitive pickleball group. The organizers want to keep the level of play high (3.5 and up), so don't want to let just anyone in. We know many of the players in this group from playing at other places, and they are very good players. We weren't sure we could make the cut.

We played at this private place / tried out on Wednesday. While we realize that we are at the low end of the spectrum with this group, we were deemed worthy of participating. The stronger players want to help players like us who are still learning, but willing to play in a competitive environment. DH and I were happy to be allowed to join because nothing makes us improve like having to regularly play against tough opponents.

We played again this morning. What a workout! Besides the physical aspect, I found it to be an exercise in focus. When any little mistake is likely to mean a loss of point, I sure have to concentrate. I think my brain got tired before my body.

We have this competitive group available 3 days/week, and will play at our regular indoor courts at other times. While there are strong players at our regular courts (some of them also play with the private group), it's an open play environment so we sometimes get mixed in with much weaker players. We can use those days to work on specific parts of our game and maybe help the weaker players improve.
Sounds excellent overall.
You must have learned some more on how to return the spin serves.
The sport has been a godsend for me, since I can't play competitive basketball anymore.
Trying to play 5/6 days a week.