Join Early Retirement Today

Pickleball anyone?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pickleball anyone?

So there I was, watching my wife compete in an inter-community pickleball tournament in Central Texas...during the awards ceremony, I spotted a Hydroflask-like water bottle with the name “Rick Ferri” written on it. I approached the owner and when I asked him if he is THE Rick Ferri, popular in the Bogleheads community, I recognized his face and he responded that he was who I thought he was. He and his partner took first place in the mixed doubles category. In briefly chatting with him, he shared that Mel Lindauer plays pickleball as well.

My wife, was surprised I knew someone playing in the tournament, being new to Texas and to the sport. I introduced him to my wife as Rick Ferri, a rock star in the Bogleheads community...as he sheepishly shrugged off the compliment. I told her I knew of him through the Bogleheads community...and that the Bogleheads way of saving/investing helped us achieve FIRE, relocate from Hawai’i and buy a house in our new 55+ community.

How many other FIRE people play pickleball?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting story Van-Guard, and another example of what a small world the FIRE community is.

BTW, if you have relocated to TX from HI you might want to update your profile - especially your sig line re: paradise.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started playing pickleball in January and have found it quite addictive. I’ve met hundreds of people playing, some who have become good friends now.

When I left the workforce I went from being around people in the office all day to being mostly by myself. It was getting lonely. Now that I have met people playing pickleball I have a regular social network to keep me from feeling isolated. It gives me a place to go to in the mornings to meet up with people and socialize, as well as get some exercise.

I will admit it’s become a bit of an addiction at this point, as I find myself playing about four hours a day. I’m playing in a tournament at the end of the month, so I’m in heavy practice mode now. But it’s been a great sport to keep me active, and I’ve really enjoyed learning how to play.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There was a thread earlier in the year.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...all-92839.html
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting story Van-Guard, and another example of what a small world the FIRE community is.

BTW, if you have relocated to TX from HI you might want to update your profile - especially your sig line re: paradise.

REWahoo,
Nords told me about you and how you live just outside SA.

About that signature...haven’t gotten around to updating it...and with the colder temperatures on the mainland, I might just keep it the way it is for a bit [emoji1]
Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
There was a thread earlier in the year.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...all-92839.html

Ah...I searched for “pickleball”...one word as it is commonly used
Old 12-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-Guard23 View Post
Ah...I searched for “pickleball”...one word as it is commonly used
Pays to be lazy. I stopped typing at "pickle".
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My DGF and I one could say are obsessed with Pickleball. If one plays it in a somewhat competitive fashion, it provides a great workout, not to mention a great social setting.
Unfortunately, right now waiting for a surgery date for a (minor) hernia, so out of commission for about 1 more month.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

I'm 65 now, and I used to play a lot of Platform Tennis. I stopped around the age of 45 because I kept getting hurt. FF to age 60, and a visit to The Villages Fl, where it is hugely popular. I watched, and decided this would be a great way to get injured, for me.
Last winter DW and I decided we would spend this winter in The Villages. As summer progressed here in NY State I kept running into more and more people, around my age, obsessed with the game. So I got interested. Bought balls and paddles, and joined a club that just built two pickleball courts.
Our first day as members, we were invited to a group get-together on the new courts, introducing new players to the game. I had a great time. I felt as if my Platform Tennis background really carried over to PB.
Like I said, I was having a great time, right up to the moment my right achilles tendon ruptured. This was on August 31, the Friday of Labor Day Weekend.

I am now in week 16 of my achilles tendon rupture recovery. Unfortunately for me, I don't think my body can take racket sports with the need for quick changes of direction. Too bad. It's a great game.
When I finally started physical therapy, my PT was getting my information and said "Oh, I heard about you. You're the guy who tore up his achilles the first time you ever played it. You are locally famous"....great..
then he put me on a bicycle and the guy next to me was about my age, rehabbing a ruptured patellar tendon, he injured doing what? you guessed it...Pickleball.

So, enjoy, but be careful.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I'm 65 now, and I used to play a lot of Platform Tennis. I stopped around the age of 45 because I kept getting hurt. FF to age 60, and a visit to The Villages Fl, where it is hugely popular. I watched, and decided this would be a great way to get injured, for me.
Last winter DW and I decided we would spend this winter in The Villages. As summer progressed here in NY State I kept running into more and more people, around my age, obsessed with the game. So I got interested. Bought balls and paddles, and joined a club that just built two pickleball courts.
Our first day as members, we were invited to a group get-together on the new courts, introducing new players to the game. I had a great time. I felt as if my Platform Tennis background really carried over to PB.
Like I said, I was having a great time, right up to the moment my right achilles tendon ruptured. This was on August 31, the Friday of Labor Day Weekend.

I am now in week 16 of my achilles tendon rupture recovery. Unfortunately for me, I don't think my body can take racket sports with the need for quick changes of direction. Too bad. It's a great game.
When I finally started physical therapy, my PT was getting my information and said "Oh, I heard about you. You're the guy who tore up his achilles the first time you ever played it. You are locally famous"....great..
then he put me on a bicycle and the guy next to me was about my age, rehabbing a ruptured patellar tendon, he injured doing what? you guessed it...Pickleball.

So, enjoy, but be careful.

Yikes! After being introduced to the sport five months ago, I partially tore my left calf muscle (grade 2) while playing (DW said I was playing like a madman running down every ball and hitting overhead smashes with abandon) and was out of commission for a month and a half...after playing again, I then strained my right calf muscle and have been playing sparingly after recovering from that injury.
Rough sport, but DW loves it and she’s hooked.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yikes! After being introduced to the sport five months ago, I partially tore my left calf muscle (grade 2) while playing (DW said I was playing like a madman running down every ball and hitting overhead smashes with abandon) and was out of commission for a month and a half...after playing again, I then strained my right calf muscle and have been playing sparingly after recovering from that injury.
Rough sport, but DW loves it and she’s hooked.
Ain't that the truth. It appears like an easy game for retirees, although now also played for money by 20/30's yo in tournaments.
When the game is played on a competitive level, the injuries definitely appear much greater and somewhat surprising to me.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

OK, just now I finally went to youtube to watch some pickleball and discover exactly what it IS.

Looks like tennis played with extra large pingpong paddles. I dunno, I used to play tennis in high school and really liked it so I'm not sure why they want to change it like that.

Rick Ferri is one of my heroes! That is so cool that you met him. I never met him myself, but I think he is one of the best known Bogleheads. His book All About Asset Allocation was one of the five from the Bogleheads book list that I read multiple times and studied as the basis for my financial planning years ago.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=W2R;2157887]OK, just now I finally went to youtube to watch some pickleball and discover exactly what it IS.

Looks like tennis played with extra large pingpong paddles. I dunno, I used to play tennis in high school and really liked it so I'm not sure why they want to change it like that.

Despite the injuries for some, it still is less taxing than tennis and is really more designed for doubles.
It also takes away any power serving advantages of tennis and places more emphasis on placement up to a certain point, which puts men and women on a somewhat more even playing field.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

I tried it for the first time in the Villages last December. My wife and I really enjoyed it.
Retirein2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Dtail;2157892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, just now I finally went to youtube to watch some pickleball and discover exactly what it IS.

Despite the injuries for some, it still is less taxing than tennis and is really more designed for doubles.
It also takes away any power serving advantages of tennis and places more emphasis on placement up to a certain point, which puts men and women on a somewhat more even playing field.
In the brief time I was enjoying it, I noticed that with 4 people on a small court it is a very sociable game. It really is fun. It is with some sadness I accept the fact that I should stay away from it.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
How many other FIRE people play pickleball?
I read about it a while back and purchased equipment for my wife and I. We went to a local tennis court and fooled around with it a bit. Seems like fun.

Next spring when we move to our beachside home and sell our primary residence I expect to join in the community pickleball sessions. Looking forward to that.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=HadEnuff;2159410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post

In the brief time I was enjoying it, I noticed that with 4 people on a small court it is a very sociable game. It really is fun. It is with some sadness I accept the fact that I should stay away from it.
Yeah that really sucks for you. Would be a big deal for me not playing. Perhaps you can find a substitute.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Dtail;2159435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post

Yeah that really sucks for you. Would be a big deal for me not playing. Perhaps you can find a substitute.
Golf, and walking. I thought that while wintering in The Villages I might check out the bocce club. Just for giggles. I should be able to play bocce without getting hurt too badly.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=HadEnuff;2159442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post

Golf, and walking. I thought that while wintering in The Villages I might check out the bocce club. Just for giggles. I should be able to play bocce without getting hurt too badly.
I know the Villages has many softball clubs/teams. Would that be out for you too?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I play. There are some great pickleball videos and coaches. Many of these I watch on youtube on my PC web browser where I use the gear icon and change the speed to x1.25 or x1.50. You will love these!

A solid coach: ThirdShotSports: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...sZ2A/playlists

Pickleball Channel and specifically their '411' videos. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...pickleball+411

Sarah Ansboury is excellent: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHu...DTF-Ldg/videos

Deb Harrison is informative: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...xiHBv-g/videos
eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote