Places to FIRE - active lifestyle

iW4EV

Dryer sheet wannabe
I’m looking to FIRE in the US in my 50s, possibly sooner. I love warm weather, water sports, mountain biking, tennis, walkable areas, social activities.

Any recommendations for specific places to FIRE?

Franklin, Tennessee, and specifically the Leiper's Fork area. The place is simply incredible in beauty with its rolling hills and horse farms. It's so nice, Justin Timberlake moved his family and entire tour operation there. Neighbors are Vince & Amy, Nicole & Keith, Larry Carlton, Naomi Judd, Tim & Faith. And the incredible Nashville music scene is just 20 miles away.

Check out Bend Oregon, though it does get some winter weather. I like where I'm at, but if I was to move chances are good that's where I'd go. Austin TX also fits, if you're ok with warmer than warm.

Obviously, Hawaii has all these things though at a price. YMMV

Here is a pleasant weather map to help in the warm weather part of your search (continental U.S. only) - https://kellegous.com/j/2014/02/03/pleasant-places/

“pleasant” here means the mean temperature was between (55° F and 75° F), the minimum temperature was above 45° F, the maximum temperature was below 85° F and there was no significant precipitation or snow depth.

Thanks for the info and links. I’ve been to a lot of the places recommended and love all of them. I should have probably said hot weather instead of warm weather. Also, I’ve lived with in a few hours from the ocean my whole life (sometimes walking distance) so that would be a big plus for water sports but obviously that comes at a price premium, crowds, etc so I need to decide if it’s worth it.

Obviously, Hawaii has all these things though at a price. YMMV

Ive spent a lot of time there and love Hawaii and the climate, water temps, beaches, mountains, etc. it may be too far from family and the mainland for me to want to move there permanently but we’ll see.

Last edited:
Look at western Colorado. It is more affordable than the Denver area. Marketwatch.com has tool that you can use to plug in different parameters to find locations. https://www.marketwatch.com/column/where-should-i-retire?mod=retirement

I think Western CO may be a bit cold for winters but It is an incredible place. When I used the market watch tool, a few places in Florida came up like Clearwater. Ive been there and love the area but not sure if it would be my ideal place to FIRE.

Santa Barbara has everything you're looking for - but it ain't cheap. Home prices are almost as high as in the SF Bay.

The winters here are not as snowy as the rest of Colorado. For a new bike ride you might want to check out the recently opened Palisade Plunge. It is 32 miles and drops over 6000 feet. This is way out of my league. See plungetopalisade.com

Thanks for the info and links. I’ve been to a lot of the places recommended and love all of them. I should have probably said hot weather instead of warm weather. Also, I’ve lived with in a few hours from the ocean my whole life (sometimes walking distance) so that would be a big plus for water sports but obviously that comes at a price premium, crowds, etc so I need to decide if it’s worth it.

Ive spent a lot of time there and love Hawaii and the climate, water temps, beaches, mountains, etc. it may be too far from family and the mainland for me to want to move there permanently but we’ll see.

Yes, family and friends are an "issue." We deal with this by spending 3 or 4 months (in the summer) staying at the old "homestead" on the mainland. It's part of "our" price-of-paradise. You might do the reverse. Have home on the mainland and "winter" in Hawaii (or other "nice" place.)

Our research indicated that it (was) easier to find "affordable" Hawaii than "affordable" California ASSUMING you wish to be close to the action (all the things you mention at one time.) As always, YMMV.

I’m looking to FIRE in the US in my 50s, possibly sooner. I love warm weather, water sports, mountain biking, tennis, walkable areas, social activities.

Any recommendations for specific places to FIRE?

College town in the southern USA...close enough to the mountains to day trip.

Santa Barbara has everything you're looking for - but it ain't cheap. Home prices are almost as high as in the SF Bay.

I absolutely love Santa Barbara - especially the walkability / bike-ability, beaches, mountains. May need to rent a small condo because of home prices but worth considering.

Yes, family and friends are an "issue." We deal with this by spending 3 or 4 months (in the summer) staying at the old "homestead" on the mainland. It's part of "our" price-of-paradise. You might do the reverse. Have home on the mainland and "winter" in Hawaii (or other "nice" place.)

Our research indicated that it (was) easier to find "affordable" Hawaii than "affordable" California ASSUMING you wish to be close to the action (all the things you mention at one time.) As always, YMMV.

That’s interesting but I can see that being the case because the Southern California coast is sooo expensive. I’d probably have to still work some at least part time to afford the much higher cost of living in Hawaii but it could be worth it.

Not THAT far south! :)

Haha :) . I think a lot of people don’t realize that some university towns in the South are a melting pot and quite progressive

Last edited:
Sun City in Georgetown Texas.

I’ve driven through TX and been to Austin, Houston and Dallas. Haven’t been to Georgetown though. How far is it from beaches? I may want to be close to a big body of water (ideally the ocean) to do some water sports but will keep it in mind. .

Believe me, if your family is like mine then they will want to come visit frequently and they will also want to stay at your house. You'll probably see more old friends and family than if you lived on the mainland. At least, that is what we experienced when my parents moved to a beachfront home in Hawaii (on Kailua beach) many years ago. Mom felt like she was running a hotel sometimes.

We moved to the high desert in New Mexico...20 mins from ABQ and 40 mins from Santa Fe. It is an amazing place to live....great weather, lots of sunshine minus the humidity (unless it is monsoon season). If you want really hot weather, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Alamogordo are over 100+. We are a bit away from the beach, but lots of little fishing holes around the state. We live near the Cibola National Forest and there are lots of places to hike, mountain bike, etc.

True but they're either enclaves or oases depending upon your point of view. YMMV

Some southern states are purple and a microcosm of the US which I think is a good thing. The south isnt all just backwoods :)

Believe me, if your family is like mine then they will want to come visit frequently and they will also want to stay at your house. You'll probably see more old friends and family than if you lived on the mainland. At least, that is what we experienced when my parents moved to a beachfront home in Hawaii (on Kailua beach) many years ago. Mom felt like she was running a hotel sometimes.

Heh, heh, maybe we are poor hosts or maybe our family/friends don't really like us all that much:(. We've had relatively few guests staying with us over the years. IIRC it's every other year on average. It's true that we aren't on the beach and we are a significant distance from Waikiki (thank goodness!)

We have often made our place available in our absence to visiting medical missionaries, visiting pastors, etc. - all associated with our church. It's saved thousands of travel dollars for them and kept our place occupied and the cars used. Everybody wins! YMMV

Back
Top Bottom