Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Hmmm. Lunch with the cute girl on the next cubicle?
He's retired. Actually he says and I believe him that 90% of it is Starbucks or other occasional Cokes or snacks when out and about.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't surprise me that an accounting couple is spreadsheet crazy. I hope its ok, because I whip up spreadsheets for almost everything.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I enjoy traveling and part of the joy is researching/planning it for me.

Since you are now retired, I assume you have the extra time to track all those things in detail. I view that as an inexpensive hobby during retirement

As long as you enjoy it and it floats your boat, go for it!

As for fetishes, spice it up some
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found that spreadsheets were really good for middle school science projects. You can use the huge fonts and colors and print the text, cut to size and just glue stick them to the poster board.

Very easy to edit and see how it looks and lay it all out before gluing it.
When it does not quite fit or the poster board not full enough, no problem. Just increase/decrease the font size and reprint.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #45

I have never made a spreadsheet in my entire life. Wouldn't know how to do it. It sounds like I am missing out. I wish that my DH would enjoy keeping track of expenses. I decided this year that I was going to track our expenses and I am really proud that it is almost the middle of March and I am still tracking. I use a pen and paper. I have to get with the times.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #46

Sounds like there are others like us out there. Meow- most of my planning is future or financial oriented. Don't worry much about "old stuff" like pictures or e-mails. Maybe I should.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
My DW and I are were both accountants when we worked. She was a project manager and I a senior bank exec. Planning was a cornerstone of our working lives.... .

Fetish or compulsion?

DW doesn't... but I do.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Accountant's come on line: "Want to come up and see my spreadsheets sometime?"

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

It's when people stop making plans that I start to worry about them.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

We should start an ER spreadsheet thread.

One can never get enough Excel . A fragment of a recent market timing graph:

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
We should start an ER spreadsheet thread.

One can never get enough Excel . A fragment of a recent market timing graph:

Oooh. Very sexy. I'm all for an "Excel Fetish" thread.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
When I was gainfully employed I was planner all the way. I guess I got it from my time in the military when, often, time is limited and duties many. I carried this over to civilian j*bs and it served me very well for the decades of w*rk.

Now that I am retired, I avoid planning like the plague. I think I enjoy the excitement of not knowing what is next.

When DW and I were talking about our upcoming cruise thru the Panama Canal I just told her that I'd fund the trip if she would do all of the rest. She is still in a plan-plan-plan mode, so it's all planned, I guess.

Anyway, we fly out to San Diego at 10AM on Friday, that's all I need to know.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like there are others like us out there. Meow- most of my planning is future or financial oriented. Don't worry much about "old stuff" like pictures or e-mails. Maybe I should.
Well, the emails take almost no time to maintain. Basically it just requires not deleting them. I don't need to go back to them often but sometimes I'm asked something or have to provide documentation of something and the email is where it is or that is the easy way to find it. Saves a lot of time.

On the pictures, I guess that is past oriented. I do enjoy looking at them. I have my wallpaper on my computer set to periodically switch to a random photo. We've ended up having a lot of discussions about past trips or events or people when someone comes in my study as a picture changes. The main thing I've done though is send them all off to be scanned in so I don't have to deal with paper.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #54

Love this thread...I admit...I am a planning addict! Just a bit OCD - in all the right ways.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Our friends think we are nuts but we both love this stuff. What do you guys think? Maybe too much? But can't imagine doing it otherwise.
Danmar...sounds like you are a "data" and a "detail" person. So am I to a certain extent..so I can understand. Still...you have way more data than I do!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #56

DW is the "spreadsheet keeper" on budgetary matters, and I'm glad she does it. She keeps Excel spreadsheets for that, for itineraries, for calories, for... well, just about everything.

Being a longtime sufferer of CRS disease (Can't Remember "Stuff") this way I can go look up what I gotta remember not to forget. Or something like that.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I LOVE EXCEL; I am in spreadsheet heaven everyday working my ER plan!!
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Danmar...sounds like you are a "data" and a "detail" person. So am I to a certain extent..so I can understand. Still...you have way more data than I do!
After working on my spreadsheets, I love doing our taxes on Turbotax.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Well, the emails take almost no time to maintain. Basically it just requires not deleting them. I don't need to go back to them often but sometimes I'm asked something or have to provide documentation of something and the email is where it is or that is the easy way to find it. Saves a lot of time.

On the pictures, I guess that is past oriented. I do enjoy looking at them. I have my wallpaper on my computer set to periodically switch to a random photo. We've ended up having a lot of discussions about past trips or events or people when someone comes in my study as a picture changes. The main thing I've done though is send them all off to be scanned in so I don't have to deal with paper.
DW looks after our photo archives. We usually make albums by downloading to Kodak,etc. Leave these lying around and do enjoy looking at the various trips we have taken.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a boss at MegaCorp who was a runner. He ran at lunch and at precisely 11:15 each day he would call the Hawthorne airport and get the temperature, smog index, cloud ceiling, barometric pressure, etc. He would enter the data in an engineering notebook with date, time. He would then weigh his kit (running shoes, shorts, teeshirt and socks), enter that. He would check his BP, pulse, weigh himself, and make notes of his mental and physical well being and enter that. He had gadgets strapped to him everywhere for taking data along the way.

He would stand still waiting for precisely, PRECISELY, 12:00, and he'd flick that watch and off he went. Not jogging but at a full-speed miler's pace. Same course everyday, rain or shine. Along the run, he would not speak, nor look side to side.

At the end of the run, document everything you can imagine. If a fly had annoyed him while running, bingo, into the notes.

He did similar things with food consumption (precise times, precise portions, calories, etc).

He even had notes on the location of every one of his possession. "Watch = bedside table, black marble dish"

Never had children. I guess that would have interferred. And his wife had numerous boyfriends (not sure he kept statistics on that).

All in all, one of the happiest people I have ever known.

I think it truly is "whatever floats your boat".
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote