Join Early Retirement Today

Please suggest some non-fiction books
Old 11-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Please suggest some non-fiction books

I've read a lot of books about financial literacy, healthy eating and psychology. I find that I tend to learn a lot more from the first one or two books on a new subject than from the next 20. For 2018, one of my goals is to read a dozen books about new non-fiction subjects. Could you please recommend good starter books and describe what subject they cover? I'm looking for introductory kind of books on pretty much any subject. (For instance, what's the equivalent of Bogle's "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" but for subjects like science, culture, music or whatever?) Thanks.
RenoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently reading "the Advent of the Algorithm" by David Berlinski. Good primer on that subject.
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

Although kind of old, you might read "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurzweil. Kurzweil describes his law of accelerating returns which predicts an exponential increase in technologies like computers, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics and artificial intelligence. Once the Singularity has been reached, Kurzweil says that machine intelligence will be infinitely more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards he predicts intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe. The Singularity is also the point at which machines intelligence and humans would merge.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are interested in WW2 history:
I was deeply touched by "the last stand of the tin can sailors..." with a review, below.

Reviewed by Dennis J. Ringle
By James D. Hornfischer
Bantam Books, New York, 2004

In this naval version of “David versus Goliath,” author James D. Hornfischer masterfully brings to life the heroic actions of a handful of officers and sailors. The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is a fresh look at the men, ships and events that shaped one of the U.S. Navy’s finest hours, the monumental naval engagements of October 23-26, 1944, known collectively as the Battle of Leyte Gulf. The author’s ability to combine official reports and eyewitness accounts in novellike prose makes this book a must read for those who are interested in naval history and ships that go into harm’s way.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #5
Administrator

I have found lots of ireading nspiration and many new suggestions in the thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-43066-67.html
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am about to start

"A World Ablaze: The Rise of Martin Luther and the Birth of the Reformation"

Reviews say that it is not written as a ponderous work for academics only. It provides context to Luther the monk with enough information about the political climate to help the reader understand the moving parts around Luther that allowed him to survive and succeed.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you like history, anything by David McCullough. So far I've read "Path Between the Seas" on the , building of the Panama Canal"The Johnstown Flood" and "The Wright Brothers".He's also written "Mornings on Horseback", a bio of Teddy Roosevelt, "1776" and "John Adams". He's a great storyteller and his works are well-researched.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If you like history, anything by David McCullough.
+1
I've read most of his books. Just in the middle of Truman right now.

He's also great at narrating his works, so if you get the audiobook versions you gain quite a lot IMHO. Listening to his narrations of 1776 and The Johnstown Flood was awesome.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The Invisible Gorilla by Christopher Chabris and Daniel Simons (fallability of human perception and memory)
the signal and the noise by Nate Silver (difficulty or impossibility of predictions)
Nudge and Misbehaving by Richard Thaler (irrationality of humans)
1948 by Benny Morris (the real story of how Israel was created and the human cost)

Investment Related but not investment advice:

When Genius Failed by Lowenstein (failure of Long Term Capital Managment hedge fund)
Where are the Customers' Yachts? by Fred Schwed (investment humor)
Confessions of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefèvre (published 1923, more investment humor)
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee / Empire of Summer Moon / Indian Giver. Here are a few Native American books I enjoyed.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"The Man Who Could Be King" by John R Miller. Good telling of George Washington's managing of his troops at time of potential mutiny, and more telling - an outline of his character. Easy read too.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This one has been around a while:

The Four Agreements

Quote:
Ruiz, a shaman and healer, instructs us in the four agreements that ensure right conduct. Be impeccable with your word, Ruiz urges. Don’t take anything personally. Don’t make assumptions. Always do your best.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If you like history, anything by David McCullough. So far I've read "Path Between the Seas" on the , building of the Panama Canal"The Johnstown Flood" and "The Wright Brothers".He's also written "Mornings on Horseback", a bio of Teddy Roosevelt, "1776" and "John Adams". He's a great storyteller and his works are well-researched.
McCullough is always great. Another favorite is Simon Winchester. His work on Krakatoa is just awesome. Also, check out "The Map that Changed the World," an explanation how an 1815 geological map of England's coal deposits laid the groundwork for the theory of evolution.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy the "Don't Know Much About" series of books. Very easy to read. Love David McCullough, also Doris Kearns Goodwin.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Stamped from the Beginning: the definitive history of racist ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi (2006).

Award winning. Hard to read, brilliant and depressing. Over 500 pages.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #16

Incognito, The secret life of the brain

It talks about our subconscious brain and just how it does most of "our" thinking for us unbeknownst to our conscious minds. Fascinating read.

If behavioural economics interests you, then in addition to Thaler's books mentioned above, try Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow

If you're interested in racism & history of asians in the America's, Lee's book is fascinating The Making of Asian America: A History
by Erika Lee
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

currently reading "always hungry?" by a Dr. Ludwig. Most useful diet book I have ever read, and it has jump started my previously moribund weight loss. Very good scientific description, in layman's terms mostly, about how our fat cells operate. Worth a read whether one needs to lose weight or not, as we all I expect have family/friends who do need to lose.

Otherwise, i would recommend perusing ones public library 's selection of new nonfiction (fiction too if interested) books to get ideas of what to read.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sapiens - About the rise of Humans. Super interesting account of howe we can to dominate: Main premise is that sapiens came to dominate the world because it is the only animal that can cooperate flexibly in large numbers and our unique skill is not in our ability to reason but in our ability to "imagine"..ie concepts such as money.

Other interesting facts are that most animals got to the top of the food chain over a LONG time. Sapiens rose to the top at lightning quick speed and we've left a wake of destruction wherever we've gone.
LivePassionately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #19

Some of these other titles reminded me of one that often reference: "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt. It's less about politics and more about how humans thinking is predictably flawed, lol!

Quote:
As America descends deeper into polarization and paralysis, social psychologist Jonathan Haidthas done the seemingly impossible—challenged conventional thinking about morality, politics, and religion in a way that speaks to everyone on the political spectrum.Drawing on his twenty five years of groundbreaking research on moral psychology, he shows how moral judgments arise not from reason but from gut feelings. He shows why liberals, conservatives, and libertarians have such different intuitions about right and wrong, and he shows why each side is actually right about many of its central concerns. In this subtle yet accessible book, Haidt gives you the key to understanding the miracle of human cooperation, as well as the curse of our eternal divisions and conflicts. If you’re ready to trade in anger for understanding, read The Righteous Mind.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Whack a Mole by David Marx. It changed the way I think about justice, fairness and when to console, coach or punish when things go awry.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote