Join Early Retirement Today

Please verify my steps to do Roth conversion 2020
Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Please verify my steps to do Roth conversion 2020

I received a lot of good feedback from my earlier thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...et-101356.html

In order to meet ACA income requirement for a family of 2, I plan to convert $60,000 to Roth IRA in 2020.

I will have no other IRAs and I have one non-deductible IRA remaining. I contributed $16,000 to it with current balance: $26,000. I will convert that to Roth in Charles Schwab, and the income portion should be $10,000. I will close this non-deductible IRA account after that.

I will need to convert another $50,000 from my 401K. It allows partial withdraw. I called Vanguard and confirmed that they could help me to roll that into Roth IRA. I need to create a Roth IRA account there first, and I also need a rollover TIRA as stop over for that $50,000 before it can be converted to Roth IRA. The income will be the full $50,000. After that, I will close the rollover TIRA account.

I will pay all taxes out of my after-tax account.

I wonder if this will allow me to skip the Roth conversion pro-rata rule because by 12/31/2020, I will not have non-deductible IRA nor the rollover TIRA account.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I received a lot of good feedback from my earlier thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...et-101356.html

In order to meet ACA income requirement for a family of 2, I plan to convert $60,000 to Roth IRA in 2020.

I will have no other IRAs and I have one non-deductible IRA remaining. I contributed $16,000 to it with current balance: $26,000. I will convert that to Roth in Charles Schwab, and the income portion should be $10,000. I will close this non-deductible IRA account after that.

I will need to convert another $50,000 from my 401K. It allows partial withdraw. I called Vanguard and confirmed that they could help me to roll that into Roth IRA. I need to create a Roth IRA account there first, and I also need a rollover TIRA as stop over for that $50,000 before it can be converted to Roth IRA. The income will be the full $50,000. After that, I will close the rollover TIRA account.

I will pay all taxes out of my after-tax account.

I wonder if this will allow me to skip the Roth conversion pro-rata rule because by 12/31/2020, I will not have non-deductible IRA nor the rollover TIRA account.
I guess my question is a little unique and specific. It did not generate any feedback. The more generic question is: can I do Roth conversion for a deductible IRA (TIRA) (partially rollover from 401K which my employer allows), and a non-deductible IRA both in full, in the same year?
Old 01-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You will still have to fill out F8606 since you are converting a TIRA with non-deductible contributions. Since you will have a 0 balance at yr end, that will simplify things a bit, but you still have to go thru all the steps.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
You will still have to fill out F8606 since you are converting a TIRA with non-deductible contributions. Since you will have a 0 balance at yr end, that will simplify things a bit, but you still have to go thru all the steps.
As long as there is a way to enter TIRA to Roth conversion, and non-deductible IRA to Roth conversion in the same year, I can work on the steps.

I also read that if TurboTax question/answer interview does not work well, I can always go to their form section to enter the number directly there. So, we shall see.