Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What kind of RVer are you?
Full Time - 12 months/yr 3 4.62%
Part Time - at least 3 months/yr 4 6.15%
Recreational - less than 3 months/yr 20 30.77%
Interested - thinking about buying one in the next year 15 23.08%
Not for me 23 35.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

POLL about RVers here
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

POLL about RVers here

Two threads on RVing gives me the idea there are alot of people on this board that RV.
Last year I did 3 months out west in my 17' Casita

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/showroom.html

Post a link to your trailer if you have it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: POLL about RVers here
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cool thread - great idea Dex - I'm in the "interested" catagory, and very interested to see what everyone has. I know I have RV envy of both Martha and Rich.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We're fulltime RVers, and have been so for nearly fifteen years now. It's hard to even remember what it felt like to have a fixed base home.....until we visit friends with houses and see how much work they are! ;-)
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dex, I'm not sure if I fit in any of your categories.

We have a 25' 1999 Mobile Scout travel trailer that I bought used two years ago. We've only taken it to a state park once, deciding instead to lease a spot on the banks of the Guadalupe river and keep it there basically full time. We share the cost of the RV site with our kids and use it for a family gathering place.

That arrangement has been great, but I'm growing itchy feet. When (and if) DW decides she doesn't have to personally attend to the daycare requirements of my three grandsons, I hope to buy a pre-owned Class B or C and do some traveling. I don't think I'll be able to convince DW to stay on the road more than a couple of weeks at a time, but hope springs eternal.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We camp in a 5th Wheel trailer. It has a bunkroom in the back with 4 beds and TV for our daughter and friends. It has 2 slide-outs. One in the living room and one in the master in front.

Pulling our summer home behind us this year will allow us to see Custer State Park in SD along with Mt. Rushmore, Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana and Yellowstone in Wyoming.

Going to Myrtle Beach, SC on Saturday for a week.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...ng10-05001.jpg
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

For 2007, our goal is to be away from our stick built house at least 200 nights. Through today we are at 70 out of a possible 85, not too bad to start out the year.
We still travel by air on occasion and we dont always stay in our motorhome, 12 of those were spent in hotels ie...Key West, San Antonio and South Padre Island.

Dave
Old 03-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

April will be 2 years as fulltimers in our Alpine Coach:
http://www.wrv.com/html/alpine_coach_about.html

Before that we part-timed over a two year period in a 17ft Casita which was our first RV.

Audrey
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Might consider a used class B when we retire... but that is still several years away.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife and I are planning ahead - We think we'd like to buy a used RV and hit the road for a while after we retire. But there are a couple of things we're wondering about.....

We like to exercise - bike, hike, swim, weights, etc. So we wonder if driving endless hours tooling around the great areas of the US will make us feel twitchy about not getting a good sweat-session in every day? Anyone here else like to keep fit, but also have a sense of wanderlust?

Also, we are thinking of a Class B/B+ RV because it's so easy to deal with for the 2 of us. If we don't want to tow a car behind it, what are other people's experiences with using a motorcycle, bike, etc. to tool around after you've set up a longish-term camp not real close to any town? Do you have to break camp and run around in the RV, and then reset everything up again when you get back? We might or might not be towing a small closed trailer for our bikes and backpacking gear and other stuff, so should we plan on putting an open-air motor scooter rack on a back-end of the RV?
cfcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcf
We like to exercise - bike, hike, swim, weights, etc. So we wonder if driving endless hours tooling around the great areas of the US will make us feel twitchy about not getting a good sweat-session in every day? Anyone here else like to keep fit, but also have a sense of wanderlust?

If we don't want to tow a car behind it, what are other people's experiences with using a motorcycle, bike, etc. to tool around after you've set up a longish-term camp not real close to any town? Do you have to break camp and run around in the RV, and then reset everything up again when you get back? We might or might not be towing a small closed trailer for our bikes and backpacking gear and other stuff, so should we plan on putting an open-air motor scooter rack on a back-end of the RV?
I jog routinely when we camp. In fact, it is a pleasure - usually on paved or at least gravel roads deep in nature. As to resistance exercise, weights would obviously be impractical but the various "big rubber band" devices could serve well for toning and moderate resistance stuff.

As for local transportation, one of the great things about a well-designed class B (mine is a Sprinter) is that it doubles as a car even in the city. It takes about 5 minutes to unplug the electric and hose, maybe take down the awning it if happened to be up, and drive away. Bikes are great for in-park transportation.

Class B's are small even when well-designed. But to be able to simply hop on and drive away in and out all day with little fuss, they really shine. We did all of Charleston, St. Augustine and other pretty congested places in our B, including parking in public lots or on streets. Run into town for a nice dinner, drive back to the park, plug it in again and you're done.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #11

In our first year of ER, we had plans to buy a truck camper. I needed a truck anyway, and I liked the idea of being able to leave the camper behind on jacks when we weren't using it.

Wifey decided she didn't like any of the camper bathrooms or the idea of a short shower. So, that ended our short-lived RV fantasy. No regrets. The truck still comes in handy.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #12

Not sure if the poll is meant for me to answer. Probably not, as we are campers, not RVers. My trailer is nothing more than a tent off the ground and a shelter from the rain and cold.....nothing more. Now that the boys are 8 and 10, I've introduced them to more realistic camping.....backpack into the woods.

But we will take the trailer on several trips each year, usually one long 3 week trip out into the Midwest from PA.

RE2Boys
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
Might consider a used class B when we retire... but that is still several years away.
I am the same... no answer for me in the poll.... a few years away..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We are just starting out in the RV world. Who knows how much time we will spend on the road? With kids and grandkids very nearby it makes it hard to get away for long periods. If we really like it we may snowbird this winter to see how we do for that long in such close quarters.

Here is a link to the newer models of our coach.

http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/products.php?id=14