Poll- burial or cremation (old thread)

DH and my will say cremation, but once a month or so, around 3AM, I wonder if burial is not the proper way.

That cremation means I am destined to...... nothing.

Next day, it is forgotten....for a few weeks.

I may change that part in the will.

Burial.
Already have the real estate paid for and he birthdate chiseled in the stone.
It's good to be a land owner.

You can still bury ashes. My mothers ashes are buried in a family plot and she has a headstone.

Body farm for me if they're accepting donations, but from what I've read, there is a waiting list. In which case, I just want to do whatever is cheapest and absolutely no funeral or other silliness. If that's donating to a med school or whatever, I don't care. I don't want a burial plot or memorial or anything as I don't believe in any of that stuff and there will be no one to bother with visiting my gravesite anyway.

You can still bury ashes. My mothers ashes are buried in a family plot and she has a headstone.

This is interesting. I have always been in favor of cremation.

But, lately, I've gotten a little interested in in Genealogy and my husband is very involved in it. One great source of info on ancestors are on Find A Grave and other sites that give information based upon cemetery information from a burial. I had thought about that just the other day. With cremation there is usually no grave so that makes it harder on descendants later on who may be doing genealogy searching.

But, lately, I've gotten a little interested in in Genealogy and my husband is very involved in it. One great source of info on ancestors are on Find A Grave and other sites that give information based upon cemetery information from a burial. I had thought about that just the other day. With cremation there is usually no grave so that makes it harder on descendants later on who may be doing genealogy searching.

Even on FindAGrave, the person creating the memorial can note cremation and disposition of ashes. Disposition also shows up on the death certificate.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My father also wishes cremation, and the headstone is a dual one. They both objected to the idea of caskets and embalming, not to burial of remains. They will just take a lot less space within the plot.

I gave some thought to this, but 1) it's expensive and 2) I don't want to wake up and see the movie "Idiocracy" in real life. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend watching at least the first 20 minutes. Who would have thought that Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butthead) would be a prophet (that could very well turn out to to be right!)?

Thanks, I'll find a copy and check it out.

B & B was a classic :LOL:

Thanks, I'll find a copy and check it out.

B & B was a classic :LOL:

I see you have a Milton avatar, and since you like B&B, then I assume your sense of humor is similar to mine. If that's the case, I think you will LOVE Idiocracy.

Speaking of Office Space, my most favorite line EVER in any movie was around the 35 minute mark. When Peter comes sauntering into the office, Michael asks him where he's been and what he did while he wasn't there. Peter's response was epic and became my retirement mantra, "Michael...I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be."

Last edited:

True. And if it makes it easier to get my body to the cemetery cremations ok with me. My friends Dad died while visiting her over 3000 miles from his vault. It cost to much to transport the body so they cremated him in California and interred the ashes in NY

My late wife had a family plot back in Pittsburgh. She was cremated out here in CA, and I called the cemetery back East to inquire what it would cost to be interred with her parents.
Well, after they quoted the costs for an urn, a vault, uncovering and covering the site, plus my airfare and hotel back there, I scattered her ashes in the ocean near a place we went every year for our anniversary. She was an only child, and had no children, so nobody would be visiting the grave. I certainly would not.

I will go to Arlington National after being cremated (remains can be boxed and carried or shipped there; but I assume one of my kids will take care of that). DW passed about a year and half ago and she was cremated and is at Arlington National now. I will join her in the same location; overlooking the Pentagon which is just across the Interstate.

By the way there is an IPhone App (ANC Explorer) which will allow searches for locations for persons interred there. There is also a lot of additional information about Arlington National Cemetery available on the App.

Back
Top Bottom