Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Does your bed get made every day?
Yes 194 64.88%
No 105 35.12%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

If we don't make the bed, both cats will spend the day under the top sheet and we would be covered in cat fur every night. That's why!!
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Flip covers inside out onto airing rack, flip pillows upside down onto chairs, sheets to outside line to get some sun and breeze, rotate mattress weekly. Come back in 2.5 hours to remake bed. crawl into bed exhausted; done for the day.

Reality: I flip the covers and sheet up as straight as possible on my side without dragging them across my gal's face and nose and she smooths the bed out after she gets up after coffee. Have to have the bed fairly tidy or the cat gives us dirty looks while trying to sleep on it during the day.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

We make the bed when we are entertaining.

Other than that, we only make the bed after pulling the laundry out of the dryer. We both take naps most days and don't feel the need to waste time making the bed.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
If we don't make the bed, both cats will spend the day under the top sheet and we would be covered in cat fur every night. That's why!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Have to have the bed fairly tidy or the cat gives us dirty looks while trying to sleep on it during the day.
Oh you cat people. Must make bed for cat.

Our dog doesn't want to sleep in a bed unless some one else is already there. And then she politely asks if she can come up. No, really, she gives a little woof. She's coming up anyway, so maybe it is really a warning.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

yeah, and dogs are supposedly man's best friend, but who's ever seen a cat tell the cops where the weed is hidden?

Our little dust ball cat just stomps across us when she heads for the location she wants to sleep in.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I answered no, but my wife makes it about 50% of the time. Not as interested in making the bed once I read that making the bed everyday actually will generate more bed mites than if you don't make the bed.
greengo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #47
gone traveling

DW & I have a rule...whoever is last out of the bed has to make it. I usually end up making the bed.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
yeah, and dogs are supposedly man's best friend, but who's ever seen a cat tell the cops where the weed is hidden?

Our little dust ball cat just stomps across us when she heads for the location she wants to sleep in.
Well Played

But, then again, the cat has catnip (weed for cats). She won't narc on you, cause they might take hers too.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

No, It has never been my habit because I was in a hurry. Now, DH is still in the bed when I get up and I don't usually go back upstairs to the bedrooms until bedtime.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #50

yup. house rule is last one up makes the bed. it's usually her.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #51

I sleep later than DW, so I make it before going in for breakfast.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #52

I do... But we just have a duvet cover over the comforter in 3 seasons of the year - so it's just a matter of a fluff and pull up. No worrying about the extra layer of blanket or top sheet. (I still make it in the winter when we have the added top sheet and blanket below the comforter.

Duvet cover gets washed with the rest of the sheets and acts as the top sheet.

I didn't make my bed unless threatened by my mom when I was growing up. First apartment was a studio - and I discovered that the 2-3 minutes to make the bed made the apartment look tidy. It could be spotless with an unmade bed and it looked like a wreck... or messy with a made bed, and it looked more organized... The bed making habit started with that apartment.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I split making the bed though I do it most often. No rule, just whoever feels like making it. It doesnt always get made, more like 90% of the time.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I make my bed as part of my morning routine. It doesn’t take long and I find it’s a nice way to start the day.
The DW is the same. For her, doing it means she's accomplished something productive. So, even if the rest of the day is a bust, she's still gotten something done.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #55
gone traveling

I pull the sheets, and comforter up over the pillow, but don't do the military quarter bounce method, I usually don't like everything tucked in.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

We make the bed up every morning as soon as we get up. But I don't like dealing with all those extra decorative pillows DW likes to display. Must be a woman thing? Oh, DW is also into neatness and no clutter around the house. She has trained me well, her work is nearly done.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:25 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

DW does but I probably would if she didn't.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Of course not, that's crazy talk. I can't imagine why anyone would want to waste the time and energy needed to do something so pointless. I will somewhat make the bed on the rare occasion I think someone else might be coming into my bedroom(virtually never). Other than that, WHY!?
I'm with you. I can think of only a few rare instances I have made my bed in the last 35 years: the first time I brought a new girl home; after washing the blanket cover.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

When DW and I entered into FIRE, my FIL gave me some sage advice. He said, "remember this, you only have to do one thing a day in retirement." So there are days, I make the bed, and declare to DW, "That's it, I'm done for the day!"
Old 06-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I never make the bed. Then again, there's only a single sheet 95% of the time. If company is coming, I'll fold the sheet and place it at the base of the bed. Otherwise, fugidabowdit. On the rare occasion I use the comforter, I'll fold it in the morning. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote