Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Does your bed get made every day?
Yes 194 64.88%
No 105 35.12%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I want it nice for my smelly dogs. So I at least cover my pillow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Of course not, that's crazy talk. I can't imagine why anyone would want to waste the time and energy needed to do something so pointless. I will somewhat make the bed on the rare occasion I think someone else might be coming into my bedroom(virtually never). Other than that, WHY!?
Single men nodding with you across the world. Women, however....
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #63

Maybe we should have had more dimensions to this poll!

I think perhaps it makes a difference if you have a two story house vs. one. I'm in a single floor home, so the idea of walking past my bedroom door and seeing that mess would make me twitch all day. But if it was upstairs and I didn't go up there again till the evening....eh (i'd at least straighten things up though, wrinkly sheets are not comfortable).

Even in a single floor home, layout is key. If you have an open layout and can see your bedroom from your kitchen and your bed is not made that's very different than if your bedroom is down a hall. Stuff like that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

it depends.
usually leave bedding back to air out the mattress. Sometime during the day, or just before climbing back into bed at night, I will whip the sheet and cover back up--I do have to have everything straight to get back INTO bed :-).
A fully made up bed is accomplished weekly with sheet changes. Or before company comes over.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

When I was single, I made it every day. After marriage we stopped for a while, but once we got a "nice" set of bedroom furniture and bed covers we stared making it again. In truth DW does it probably 5 days out of the week, she is usually the last one out of the bedroom in the morning.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Every day, joint effort immediately after we get up.
+1 Wife insists, takes less than 10 seconds. I have to admit that it does look better.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #67

Being in an unmade bed is so bothersome to me that even if I am sick I will get out of bed, make the bed and then get right back in. Every day. Sometimes twice a day. It just feels better to me to be in a nice neat bed. And if I lounge around on the bed watching TV during the day or working on my laptop, I will make it nice and neat and straight before I pull back the covers to get in for the night
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Single men nodding with you across the world. Women, however....

Well, I have my entire life agreed with aaronc and I am definitely a woman. Making the bed has always seemed pointless. Now, aesthetically, I agree it looks nicer and I have considered starting to make up but rarely keep up with it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #69

When I got Honeywell's largest home air cleaner for my little bedroom I started putting it on turbo and shaking out my blanket every morning while making the bed. When I noticed that every surface in the bedroom got more dusty I stopped making my bed all together.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

We always make our bed. I have made my bed everyday my entire life as far back as I can remember. Also keep a clean and tidy house. I must admit I am amazed at how many here do not make their beds--I cannot imagine living in a house with an unmade bed. An unmade bed just seems too sloppy to me. I think it would be interesting to delve more into this--is it a married/single thing--male/female--retired /not retired etc. I learn something new every day on the forum! I just always assumed everyone made their bed every day--well I was wrong!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #71

Always. I am very clean and tidy in household habits. I don't have "clutter" and bed making is part of the tidying routine. It gives me a sense of peace and normalcy, even if to others it may appear unnecessary.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Never. DW does.
+1.
Not a sexist thing. I happen to wake up and exit the bed first, so she makes it up whenever she rises......and puts 6 or 8 additional pretty pillows on top for reasons I do not fully understand. These same pillows naturally have to get removed later that same day when its time for bed.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
is it a married/single thing--male/female--retired /not retired etc. I learn something new every day on the forum! I just always assumed everyone made their bed every day--well I was wrong!
Single, no guests. I make it if someone will see it. And I don't sit on my sheets with my street clothes. One time the super installed a light fixture and put little parts on my blanket. I wouldn't do that.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, but it only takes me less than 10 seconds! It's just two pillows, a sheet and a comforter (thickness varies through the seasons). If I'm up first I let my wife do it. If she's up first I do it as soon as I stand up.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #75

For those who make the bed after waking in the morning, what if you use the bed during the day, do you make it again during the day?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Beds? Luxury!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
For those who make the bed after waking in the morning, what if you use the bed during the day, do you make it again during the day?

For daytime snoozing, a nice sofa is good for me. I doubt I’d make the bed twice if I used it during the day (most of my day activities are on a different floor than the bedrooms).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
We often take a nap in the afternoon and we simply lie on top of the bedspread and if a cover is needed we just use the comforter lying at the bottom of the bed.
We don't mess up the bed with our nap so no remaking needed. Now if we did something else in the bed and messed it up, yes we would remake it.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #79

I only make the bed on days I get out of it.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I fixed the poll for you.

Now go make your beds everyone...
Thanks Aerides!

I would make my bed, but it's nap time...
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote