Poll:Do you travel internationally?

Do you travel internationally?

• No, I have never left the United States.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Yes, but only rarely, maybe once or twice in my life.

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Yes, somewhat regularly, maybe once a year or so.

Votes: 58 31.4%
  • Yes, very regularly, at least once a year or more.

Votes: 66 35.7%
  • Yes, maybe once every 3-5 years.

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Yes, I used to regularly, but not anymore.

Votes: 21 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am always amazed when I learn that there are so many Americans of all ages have never left the U.S. at any time in their life, and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a majority of Americans have never travelled abroad and that a majority of Americans do not have a passport.

So I am curious to know how many people on this board have travelled internationally? I know that if you live on the border of Canada and go across for the day that is technically international travel but it does not meet the spirit of my question...I am curious to know how many people take the time and effort to travel to another country to a place that is not close to their home for more than a day or two so that you are able to experience some combination of a different culture, a different time zone, different weather patterns, a different language, different currency, different customs, different foods, etc.

So, for the purposes of my question, I will set some arbitrary minimum guidelines...you must 1) travel to a country outside of the United States, 2) the destination must be more than 300 miles away from your home, and 3) you must remain outside of the United States for more than a minimum of 3 days.

Last edited:
This needs to be a yes/no poll - with an "other" option. :)

That's because none of your answers fits my situation: Yes, somewhat regularly in my younger days, now not at all.

I agree. I used to do a lot of international travel, but haven't done any in the last several years. Hopefully I will get back to it.

I don’t live in the US, though I did spend 3 years there way back in the 1980s. I have lived and worked in 3 countries, hold 2 citizenships, and have travelled to 35 countries last time I counted. I generally travel internationally approximately twice a year. My last visit to the US was two years ago.

Last edited:
My situation is somewhere between "once or twice in my life" and "maybe once a year or so." I voted "once a year or so" but it's more like once every five years or so. I traveled overseas about that frequency while w*rking, DW and I have gone once or twice, and we plan to up the frequency in our FIRE years.

Most Traveled People says I have been to 136 of their destinations. That includes some US destinations which count as a Canadian. We go to Mexico and a couple of other countries every year.

Now that we are retired, we travel as we have the time. Twice a year at a minimum. For us, now is the time before we become too old and infirm. :dance:

I have noticed travel insurance is restricted by age, so past a certain age, it's possible a person simply cannot get any. Just another reason to travel when younger.

Once I phoned a person in Ohio (wrong number), as I tried to identify myself by telling her where we met, she told me I had the wrong number as she had not traveled outside of Ohio in 25 yrs :facepalm:

I picked "somewhat regularly" although it's more like every 3 years for me, as DH can no longer travel like that. But after living in Germany for 4 years in the 90s, I really appreciate the perspective gained from visiting other places. Our kids were amazed when we moved to Texas that most of their classmates had never been out of Texas (granted, it's a big state, but by middle school you'd hope a good number had at least been to OK or LA!).

Yes. Since I was 18. Only one citizenship however we both have UK status that allows us to work, access services, etc in the UK. Our son has same status. Based on having 2 parents or grandparents born in the UK.

Just returned from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Philippines. Going to China in May. Most likely Europe in the fall-Spain/Portugal or Greece/Turkey.

Why stay home when there is so much to see?

Last edited:
Our kids were amazed when we moved to Texas that most of their classmates had never been out of Texas (granted, it's a big state, but by middle school you'd hope a good number had at least been to OK or LA!).

Hey, those furrin' places are a long drive! :)

We try and do a hiking trip abroad every year. We love them, but the funny thing is they also make our domestic trips better because we approach them like we would a trip overseas. Seeking out local eateries, wines and other region centric treats.

This is probably the wrong forum to post this poll in, people don’t travel because they don’t have money. Retirees have money and can afford to travel, the yes response in your poll will be skewed.

I know some who have the money and the time, but they hate to fly so they stay home.

My situation is somewhere between "once or twice in my life" and "maybe once a year or so." I voted "once a year or so" but it's more like once every five years or so. I traveled overseas about that frequency while w*rking, DW and I have gone once or twice, and we plan to up the frequency in our FIRE years.
Same here, nothing fits. I've taken 6 international trips on my own dime in the last 32 years, and about the same # business trips. Only one in the last eight years, though I'll probably go somewhere again in the next couple of years.

I am always amazed when I learn that there are so many Americans of all ages have never left the U.S. at any time in their life, and I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a majority of Americans have never travelled abroad and that a majority of Americans do not have a passport.

I, too, find it pretty mind boggling that most Americans have never traveled anywhere outside the US. It's difficult for me to understand how people wouldn't want to see and experience different parts of the world from time to time, even if just for an interesting change of scenery. To me, it's kind of analogous to only ever wanting to eat cheeseburgers and fries for lunch, and never having a craving for something different like a burrito with chips and salsa. Speaks to a very limited, insular worldview, IMHO.

I first traveled internationally a little over 5 years ago. Last year I went to 3 different countries. I aim for at least 1 international trip per year these days as I:
A. Have the money to do such trips.
B. Enjoy seeing other cultures and environments.
C. Have seen most of the places I wish to see in the US already.

When we talk of "international" travel, and how little of it Americans do, it's easy to forget context in the discussion. If you grow up in Nebraska and travel upto 1,000 miles east, or 1,000 miles west, and up to 600 miles north or 600 miles south, you'll never leave the United States. If you make the same distance travels from Prague, however, you can visit every country in Europe, from Spain to England all the way to Russia. The latter is "well traveled internationally" while the former "never left home, but they both traveled the same distance. Also, anyone who doesn't believe that you won't see different cultures traveling the states hasn't done so.

We have been perpetual travelers in years past. Staying home Easter was a rarity as 2 of our last 3 years in Rome.

We now have permanent custody of our 6 year old granddaughter. She will be either a very well traveled little girl--or we will slow down international travel somewhat.

This is probably the wrong forum to post this poll in, people don’t travel because they don’t have money. Retirees have money and can afford to travel, the yes response in your poll will be skewed.
Not everybody who has money likes to travel, especially internationally. If anything, this poll is good in that it eliminates most of those who would love to go but don't have the money. Those who say none or few are mostly doing that by choice, not necessity.

I, too, find it pretty mind boggling that most Americans have never traveled anywhere outside the US. It's difficult for me to understand how people wouldn't want to see and experience different parts of the world from time to time, even if just for an interesting change of scenery. To me, it's kind of analogous to only ever wanting to eat cheeseburgers and fries for lunch, and never having a craving for something different like a burrito with chips and salsa. Speaks to a very limited, insular worldview, IMHO.
That seems awfully judgemental. Plenty of people just like the security of being at home, and don't feel comfortable where they don't speak the language, would have to drive on the other side of the road, don't like group tours, don't like airplane travel, don't like unfamiliar food, and so on. There's also plenty to see and do in the US. Non-travelers may volunteer in their community and interact with all different kinds of people. They may actually be more well-rounded than someone who hops on a plane, takes a group tour with other Americans, sees a bunch of touristy sites, and eats at touristy restaurants.

Certainly true to some degree, but this theory doesn't really hold water when you think about all the middle-to-lower income people out there who have big flat-screen TVs and the latest expensive cell phones and what not. If they wanted to, they could forgo some of those extravagances and take an occasional overseas trip.

I almost crossed the road once - does that count?

Last edited:
As a wee lad, we traveled a lot with my father's business. Between 1951 and 1960 we had family households in, Havana, Caracas, London, Brussels, Marseilles, and Casablanca. After Casablanca my mom had had enough.
In my adult life I've been to Canada (I live in Upstate NY, not much of a trip, I concede), Costa Rica (twice), USVI (3 times), Puerto Rico, Australia, Tahiti, and Italy (also 3 times). My last trip to Italy was in 2011, and being there was great, but the travel back and forth was hell, entirely due to US Airways. I don't plan on going back to Europe, but I'd never say "never", I guess.
At this stage in my life, and with the way airlines cram us all in and treat us like cattle, I'm not enthused. Maybe...someday....probably...

I have lived in 3 countries, hold 3 citizenships, and have traveled to over 40 countries. I enjoy traveling, both domestically and abroad. Since finding some new-to-me relatives in Europe a few years ago thru DNA testing, I do a lot of traveling to visit them and/or travel with them, as they seem to have the travel bug, too.

I do meet a lot of people in the U.S. who do not enjoy traveling, for whatever reason (lack of money, disinterest, other interests/hobbies, who knows?)

omni

We traveled internationally all through our working lives. It really started for us when we quit our jobs in 1979, sold many things, and then when to the UK. Bought a van and traveled for seven months. When our children were 18 I took my son to Europe for three weeks. He selected the itinerary. Daughter wanted Hawaii and beach so my wife took her there. We simply allocated more of our budget to travel and much less to having the latest model of car, new electronics, etc. But, I was also fortunate inasmuch as my job sometimes took me to foreign countries. Going back to China next month. Last time we were there was as add on to a Hong Kong business trips in 1984.

Ever since that time we have been travelling. In some instances when we live in the east it was less expensive to travel overseas than it was to travel in our own country.

I think part of this is a function of your home life, where your parents were born/heritage, and any close relatives that you may have in other countries. In my case both parents were born in the UK. Travel to the UK was not of the ordinary for them. We took it as normal. In fact, they could fly to Europe for the same elapsed times and sometimes less expensively that they could to the Pacific coast.

The world has become a much smaller place over the past forty years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom