Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How are you covering your major health care expenses in ER?
Company Health Plan 55 50.93%
Purchased Personal Health Insurance (out of pocket) 46 42.59%
Purchased Group plan personally (e.g., out of pocket via AARP or other) 3 2.78%
No Health Insurance - Paying out of pocket (in USA) 1 0.93%
No Health Insurance - Paying out of pocket (going international for expensive procedures & medicine) 3 2.78%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How do you cover health care expenses in ER?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: How do you cover health care expenses in ER?

I am wondering how people are covering their health care needs in ER. I think I covered the basic categories without slicing it too fine.

If you have a variation of one of the listed categories, please vote the category that closest fits your situation and add comments to explain further.

Cheers
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: How do you cover health care expenses in ER?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I currently have a company plan. Do I think it wil last? NO. So I have monies earmarked and invested so when it is over I can cover it. If it continues then I will get a retiremnt bonus later on or leave money on the table for the heirs.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't remember the exact name, but NY has a community rating approach, like other northeastern states, which means healthy young people pay the same as older and possibly sicker people, but everyone has the opportunity to buy health insurance. I shopped around for the best bare bones/cheapest among the providers, which isn't cheap. I only decided to buy it because I wanted to protect my assets. (I rarely go to the doctor.) When I find a high deductible type policy, I'm bolting.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My approach isn't listed as one of the poll choices -- become a Permanent Resident of a country with nationalized health insurance (Canada).
Red-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
My approach isn't listed as one of the poll choices -- become a Permanent Resident of a country with nationalized health insurance (Canada).
I have a British passport (born there to a US serviceman) and may well get an Irish passport (mother's birthplace) for this very purpose. Originally I thought these would be useful for work in Europe.

Lately I think of having them as a fallback medical plan in case of financial catastrophy.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #6

NYState is crazy, my DW went back to work after 27 years taking care of the family. After working for 5 years she was vested and left with health bennies that we pay 10% for. It's about $1500 a year and I'm not complaining.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-y
Ah, but we pay dearly. It's called income tax
Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Company plan, but it's not cheap at about $700 a month for DW and myself. Megacorp capped their subsidy a while back and the monthly premium has been climbing quickly.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
NYState is crazy, my DW went back to work after 27 years taking care of the family. After working for 5 years she was vested and left with health bennies that we pay 10% for. It's about $1500 a year and I'm not complaining.
Wow...
You meant she worked for the State of NY?

Does any one know any similar examples working for other state governments? Is there corporations vesting employees after 5 years too?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I work for a company and get retirement insurance if I retire with >= 15 years of service. I can retire early @ 55 if I choose and receive health insurance... of course, the pension amount is reduced @ 55.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Does anyone have an HSA "health savings account"? I've been looking at those, but don't know very much about them.
amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis
Does anyone have an HSA "health savings account"? I've been looking at those, but don't know very much about them.
Several posters have HSA's, including me. This information is a little outdated, but it will give you a good overview of HSA basics: http://www.hsaadministrators.com/forms/hsa-basics.pdf

You can find other threads discussing HSA's by going to the search button at the top of the page and searching on "HSA" and "health savings account". Be sure to use the quotation marks.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been writing out checks for my own health insurance since I was 19. I've had it worked in my budget since then, and it's in my projected RE budget. I've seen the tax laws change to allow the self employed to write off 100% of their premium, that was a big change. Now I just hope it changes to allow EVERYONE to deduct their premium weather self employed or not (including Early Retiree's) that would take a nice bite out of the tax load in retirement.

HSA's are deductible for everyone, I've had one since they became available, and a MSA before that. They work well, I plan on contributing the maximum each year, even into retirement - it's fully deductible for everyone (without itemizing) and it's still your money. Without getting into too much detail, if you're paying your own health insurance they're definitely worth considering.

I've been self employed paying my own Health Insurance for 23 years. Even if I went to an employer that offered a health plan, I'd rather keep my own and pay the premium, that way I can go if I want and not have to worry about finding health insurance again. I'm with BCBS and I plan on staying there til I become eligible for Medicare (assuming there is any in 24 years) and then converting to a supplement.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #14

We have a group health plan paid for by my former employer. Our cost is $371 a month.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
I work for a company and get retirement insurance if I retire with >= 15 years of service. I can retire early @ 55 if I choose and receive health insurance... of course, the pension amount is reduced @ 55.
I could have posted this last week. This week -- no longer true, Mega Corp has just revoked this benefit. (See topic "Rolling with the Punches..." in Young Dreamers forum)
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney
I could have posted this last week. This week -- no longer true, Mega Corp has just revoked this benefit. (See topic "Rolling with the Punches..." in Young Dreamers forum)
Yeah, it seems like "the deal" just keeps getting worse for each successive generation. I worked at a megacorp from 1987 to 1999, and I'm vested in a small pension there (about $250 a month at 55 or $620 a month at 65, which ought to buy one tank of gas by then). Every now and then I worried that I made a mistake by leaving a company with a pension and at least some early retiree medical coverage.

Of course, they have since frozen the pension and discontinued the early retiree medical plan, making them like almost every other company these days. If nothing else, it helped me stop regretting my decision to leave.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am truly blown away that so many ER people have a company health plan. You guys are so lucky! That is a huge benefit.

Audrey
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Needs another option "Pay for group insurance through spouses employer"

If its not a majority situation for many posters here, its at least a strong contender...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
I am truly blown away that so many ER people have a company health plan. You guys are so lucky! That is a huge benefit.

Audrey
My guess is that most of those plans are for government retirees.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

No choice for my situation, so I failed to cast a vote in the poll.

As a retired military reservist, I am eligible for Tricare. It costs me $19.17 each month. No co-pay, free meds, labs etc. Not a bad plan. When DW retires in May she will jump on it also at the same monthly rate.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote