Poll:How would you grade your ER experience?

How would you grade your ER experience

• A - I'm never bored, and every day is a blast!

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • B - I'm almost always entertained, but every once in a while it gets a little slow for me

Votes: 67 44.1%
  • C - I generally like ER but find that I get bored fairly frequently

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • D - I'm still adjusting to ER and not sure if it's for me.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • F - I'm failing and need to go back to work before I suffocate from boredom

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B, but then a slow day is perfectly fine. I don't need to be entertained per se. I have plenty to do. If anything I get a bit annoyed at my lack of progress on things I'd like to get done, particularly in the garden.

If every day was a A I'd be exhausted. I don't want to have "blast" every day. I nice quiet day that ends with a latte and a read on the couch with my cat is perfect.

I took the test and was declared an INTP (inverted toilet paper?)......whether the results are correct and/or whether I answered correctly is subject to interpretation:

https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Thanks for that link. I had never done that test before; the questions seemingly are tuned to elicit responses that will differ depending upon one's mood... FWIW, today I am apparently a "ENTJ-A," which would be close to an "INTJ." Hopefully, that bodes well for enjoying FIRE.

I live in Colorado, so I guess I could smoke whatever I wanted now that I don't have to worry about security clearances and keeping my job. I can't say I am ever bored. I spend all my time working on my house which has kept me very busy. So although not ecstatic, I think the A fits closest.

When will the house be finished? And then, what are you going to do all day? :LOL:

I have taken Myers-Briggs many times and I am always INTJ. For me, one of the greatest gifts of ER is unrestricted alone time.

I selected B. Of course one gets bored every once in a while, but it is a heck of a lot better than going to work! Get Real!

Thanks for that link. I had never done that test before; the questions seemingly are tuned to elicit responses that will differ depending upon one's mood... FWIW, today I am apparently a "ENTJ-A," which would be close to an "INTJ." Hopefully, that bodes well for enjoying FIRE.

Never did it either. ISTP, interesting.

When will the house be finished? And then, what are you going to do all day? :LOL:

I can honestly answer "I don't know" to both of those! :D

I'm hoping the house is done in the next year or so. After that, I have a backyard observatory to build and equip. I also want to get a new pickup with a slide-in camper and a couple ATVs. There are miles and miles of ATV trails to explore around here. I might start heading south for a few weeks during the winter. My arm has been twisted hard enough this summer that I am "volunteering" for the ranch board. I don't think my life is going to get any less busy. I guess I like it that way. :LOL:

Too early to tell for me...it's only been 28 1/2 years.....but...so far, so good.

Im only a rookie by comparison (18moths), but I'll say: +1!:dance:

If there had been a similar poll about my last few years of w*rking, I would have selected the following:

F - I'm failing and need to retire before I suffocate from boredom

Definitely not bored in retirement, but am working lots of home projects that have days of not being fun, but good sense of accomplishment when done.

Not RE yet (or FI) but had the chance to hang out with several Baltimore PD retirees last week. It may be the personality that gravitates to that line of work, but they all went back to w*rk in some form or fashion out of boredom, some retired multiple times. I'm happy being with myself. Not sure what that phase will look like for me.

I checked B, and have been retired for 14 years, although I did relapse and take an easy low-stress job for about five years and quit when things went downhill.

We are both introverted homebodies and don't want to have a blast every day, or even most days. Depending on what day of the week it is and the positions of the sun, moon, and stars, I am either an ISTJ or INTJ. DW is definitely an ISTJ so we get along well.

I can't say that I have ever felt moved to grade my ER, or much else about me for that matter. Others are pleased to take care of all grading of me.

Ha

I can't say that I have ever felt moved to grade my ER, or much else about me for that matter. Others are pleased to take care of all grading of me.

Ha

Yep, I quit filing status reports, monthly reports and all the BS upon retirement. I'm quite content and that's all that matters.

Not RE yet (or FI) but had the chance to hang out with several Baltimore PD retirees last week. It may be the personality that gravitates to that line of work, but they all went back to w*rk in some form or fashion out of boredom, some retired multiple times. I'm happy being with myself. Not sure what that phase will look like for me.

I'm approaching the one year retirement mark after 26 years in law enforcement. Like your LEO friends, I'm finding myself bored a lot. It's great to relax, not drive in rush hour, and deal with the stress of police work. I'm waiting on my security clearance to go back and do some part-time work. I think you're right about the type of people that work in law enforcement.

FYI: I'd say about 75% of my retired LEO co-workers that retired went back to work. Some joined other departments as laterals.

Last edited:
If you look at life satisfaction or happiness research, you'll see that these ratings are affected by big events for about a year, then they return to baseline. You see it in cancer patients -- big drop in life satisfaction, then return to baseline after 6-12 months. You see it in lottery winners -- big increase in life satisfaction, then return to baseline in about a year. You see it in getting married or getting divorced -- big changes in life satisfaction, then return to baseline after about a year or two.

What that tells us is that the external event doesn't have a whole lot to do with happiness or life satisfaction over the long haul, only over the short haul. Over the long haul, what matters is the individual and the way he/she is, thinks, processes, behaves, etc.

Assuming a year or so has gone by, most people will return to their general level of life satisfaction or happiness after any big life change, including retirement. My guess is that the people who're very satisfied with their lives in retirement were very satisfied with their lives prior to retirement, too, and people dissatisfied with their lives in retirement were dissatisfied with their lives prior to retirement.

I know that's a generalization, and there will be individual exceptions. But as a general rule, it holds. It's not so much about the event "retirement" as it is about the person, who he/she is (including a bunch of stuff outside our control), how they process things, how they behave, etc.

Last edited:
I love, love , love, LOVE not working. My personal situation is such that I could not work now if I wanted to. My 91 year old mother even with her 24 hour "nurse" needs me around constantly. I had envisioned taking my bride, my dog, and our mothers to some nice place for a few months at a time. That aint happening now. I cant even get mom to go outside. Love this retirement thing anyway. Its not a blast because of my situation, but Im blessed to have mom with me.

Not retired yet but never understood "bored". I have a friend that will call me to ask what I'm doing cause she's bored. She knows I'm always doing something. I wonder sometimes if she was the kind of kid that had to be entertained. There is so much to do and see how can anyone be bored.

What that tells us is that the external event doesn't have a whole lot to do with happiness or life satisfaction over the long haul, only over the short haul. Over the long haul, what matters is the individual and the way he/she is, thinks, processes, behaves, etc.

I agree to some extent. However, when I'm working, my job and employer are dictating all of these things to a significant extent. The best example of course is how I use my time. When retired, I am free to be true to myself which is essential for one to be truly happy.

It does. Go to the menu in the upper right and select Web View. It'll open a window where you can participate in the poll.

Thanks Dash man! Never knew how to do that!!

I traveled and sat by the pool for a couple of years, then started a business.

Turns out w*rk is great when you can banish the monsters to the cornfield.

I'm learning a lot from the replies to this thread, and still contemplating what led me to vote C. Two thoughts that have emerged from reading others posts:

1) My last full time position allowed me to have a lot of creativity. I had a lot of freedom to spend my time as I saw fit, rather than doing what some boss told me to do. It helped that I was the CEO, so I didn't have a manager to report to. Of course I did have customers who could be demanding, so the stress was there, but it felt like I had a big lump of clay to play with and it was up to me to figure out how to turn it into something I could admire. I did get a lot of satisfaction from that.

My current position is similar, but with much less stress and much fewer hours, so I guess that still gives me the creativity I need.

2) I don't like crowds. I get a high from being able to do whatever I want during the weekdays when everyone is at work, and then I feel like it's been taken away from me on the weekends. It's a complete reversal of work life, where you look forward to your free time on the weekends. I guess it just comes with the ER territory.

And I suppose it's not realistic to expect every day to be an A. My weekdays really are enjoyable, so my C grade reflects an average across all seven days, but without a couple of weekend days to deal with, I probably wouldn't appreciate what I have on the weekdays nearly as much.

Back
Top Bottom