Possible Short Countdown to ER

beowulf

Full time employment: Posting here.
And here I thought I would work another several months and quietly slip away at the end of a 401K matching quarter. With less than 9 hours to go to a government shutdown, the small federal agency I am in has told everyone they will be furloughed on Monday and all contractors will receive stop work orders. My company will provide 2 days of paid training on Monday and Tuesday and then we are required to burn up all our PTO (which, for me, is 3 days as we like travel vacations). After that, we are on our own.

I still think a last minute resolution will be found by Congress, but, if one is not, this may be a long shutdown. In a few weeks, we will hit the deficit ceiling and Congress will have to approve even more borrowing. That will probably be even more contentious than this round has been. I told DW that I may take this as a sign from above if it lasts more than a few weeks. An arrow pointing in one direction - ER - which is my case is only ER because my MIL worked until she was 80 and my dad until he was 65. By many of the folks standards here I am definitely LR, being over 60.

This would have been my last year as a beltway bandit anyway, so not much is lost and what better season to be off - Spring.

Best of luck to all you other feds and fed contractors. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom