Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Preparing for old age housing
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds good however really do your homework on the Assisted living option. For what that cost you may do better staying in place and bringing services in thus getting more personal attention. The downside is you can become isolated in your home. In our case we live within walking distance to family and friends so isolation would not be much of a concern.

DH and I are essentially childless (long sad story) so a lot of our planning concerns what to do when we cannot handle things around the house ourselves. We know we are on our own. However there are more and more option for people like us who want to stay home. We are lucky since we live in a part of the country (East Coast) that offers this option.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We've got a LONG time (we're in our 30s) before we need to contemplate this, but there are a few very good CC communities nearby. The tentative idea is to stick with the house until we don't feel like putting up with home ownership issues, and then make the jump to an apartment in one of those communities. I'm actually more concerned about becoming socially isolated than about kicking the bucket under one particular roof, and that would give us neighbors and a support structure for as long as we needed them.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Understood.

As with anything else it takes good research. It's not just CC communities.. free-standing assisted living and nursing homes vary a lot in quality. I think each of us should know what what is available and appropriate for ourselves and our parents. I have been in the situation where a parent unexpectedly needed nursing care, and I was clue-less. Never again.

For myself I will move to one of a short list of CC communities and am on the list of one. The good ones have wait lists years long. If they have an opening and I am not ready I just pass on the vacancy. I can pass again and agin until we are ready.
I am so ignorant about CC communities. Are they like nursing homes? or Are they Independent Living or a combination of both? Although I am only 53, my parents are in their 80's and still living in their home (my brothers, sisters, and I live nearby and are consistently assisting them). I would like to become more knowledgeable about this subject. Brat, -What steps do you suggest I take to insure that I make an intelligent decision like you did?? Books, visits, etc.??
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is an accreditation program that I used to winnow down our list: http://www.carf.org/Consumer.aspx?Content=CCACSearch

I further limited myself to not-for-profits. The community that topped our list also had residents on the board of directors.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
There is an accreditation program that I used to winnow down our list: http://www.carf.org/Consumer.aspx?Content=CCACSearch

I further limited myself to not-for-profits. The community that topped our list also had residents on the board of directors.
Thanks for this info, Brat.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote