Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Prev. employer wanting consulting for free
Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prev. employer wanting consulting for free

I was at a goodbye/promotion luncheon for one of the senior clerks where I used to work. Big turn out, as the person was well thought of.

While there, one of my prev. supervisors brought up a lengthy and very nasty case I was assigned to, and started asking questions, a lot of them, as he now is stuck with the case.

I don't want to be rude, but I think I deserve to be paid as a consultant if the city expects me to be thinking and using my expertise.(Today, I contacted someone in middle management , asking about consulting for the city , and he thought I was kidding)

About half of the former bureau chiefs come back as consultants and double dip after retirement, usually on six figure contracts. Those folks were much higher on the food chain, but why should they expect a free ride from me? The city has never hired low level retirees as consultants in the past.

Am I being un-reasonable ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
There is nothing unreasonable about asking to be compensated for your expertise. Stick to your guns and say you'll be happy to provide assistance if you can come to an agreement on an acceptable hourly rate.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope, not at all. Time is money: they need to pay you if they want your time and expertise. Otherwise I would tell them to take a flying reproductive act at the sweet fried dough of their choice.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #4

Oh, I forgot to add. I am prohibited from lobbying for , or assisting a person or business in trouble , however I CAN go to work as an investigator/consultant for the defense atty for the same party. I think the city ethics rules are counter productive on this.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

They want you to advise them for free? I think there's a name for that, perhaps many.

You're not being unreasonable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Yes, if this is the city I am living in. Otherwise, no.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

As I gather it from your post, you're at a retirement party and someone asks for your advice. Is this a five or ten minute conversation at the party or is he asking you to come in to the office for several days or weeks?

If the former, yes you're being unreasonable. If the latter, not at all.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

First.... I do not see that your old employer wanted to hire you... it was the person who took over the case wanting the free info as he is probably not up to speed and thought he could get a lot of info from you...

So, asking some manager for money when there was never any manager who wanted your info in the first place is where I see the problem...

You should have kindly told the guy asking the questions that you were at a party and did not want to discuss 'old' work items.... but that if he really did have a need for your advice to ask management to hire you...

I see it as your fault to stay and waste your time when you did not have too.... but, if more than he wanted your advice, then of course you should be compensated for that advice...

BTW, I had a BIL who used to call and ask an attorney friend some questions during the evenings.... the attorney decided that it would not stop so he just sent my BIL a bill... BIL got the hint....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

It all depends.
I get technical questions all the time from people I used to w*rk with.
90% of the time, I just find it interesting enough that I'm happy to think for a few seconds and then give them an answer.

The other 10% of the time, the question is quite involved and it feels like I'm being taken advantage of, so I give them a detailed answer and then send them an invoice.

So far, my invoices have all been paid, no questions asked.

As to the 90%, I would be lying if I said it wasn't flattering to be so well thought of that they would seek out my opinion. Since I'm retired and don't need the money, I'm happy to help.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think it depends on what this former supervisor wants from you. If he just wants an hour or so of your thoughts on the case then I would do it gratis. If he wants more time/involvement then they should be willing to compensate you.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that if its an individual asking for some help regarding a difficult situation then a small amount of time/assistance is fine. Put yourself in their shoes, if you could get some quick help regarding a difficult problem wouldn't you seek it?
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I agree that if its an individual asking for some help regarding a difficult situation then a small amount of time/assistance is fine. Put yourself in their shoes, if you could get some quick help regarding a difficult problem wouldn't you seek it?
On the flip side, put yourself in my place: I am an ex-employee who owes them nothing and may be a bit bitter about the tail end of my career there. You want some of my valuable time? Ain't nothing for free in this world.

- George Orwell

Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
On the flip side, put yourself in my place: I am an ex-employee who owes them nothing and may be a bit bitter about the tail end of my career there. You want some of my valuable time? Ain't nothing for free in this world.
I thought about adding that caveat to my response. I got along well with the people I worked with and thought well of them. If one had called after I retired and asked for advice I wouldn't have hesitated to help.

However, if the OP's supervisor was a jerk I can well understand giving him the cold shoulder.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
As I gather it from your post, you're at a retirement party and someone asks for your advice. Is this a five or ten minute conversation at the party or is he asking you to come in to the office for several days or weeks?

If the former, yes you're being unreasonable. If the latter, not at all.
I kind of cut it off politely at about 15 minutes. From the questions, it was clear that my old supervisor and his current subordinate had not looked at the file(s) in depth (actually 3 cases , one defendant). I don't know if the cause is laziness, or under-staffing.

When I left, I did tell management that I would not mind an occasional call with a question. I would not expect questions on something that can be learned by reading the case record.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

5-10 minutes at a lunch/dinner, sure. More than that and I'd politely excuse myself. If someone wanted to call me at home, start the meter running.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I don't think of it as a "punch the clock and pay me" kind of thing. The people I worked with helped me, so I help them for free if they ask and have done so.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Work it to your advantage- give some limited information to whet his appetite, then flash him a big smile and say if he wants more info its going to cost him.

Then walk away

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I thought about adding that caveat to my response. I got along well with the people I worked with and thought well of them. If one had called after I retired and asked for advice I wouldn't have hesitated to help.

However, if the OP's supervisor was a jerk I can well understand giving him the cold shoulder.
Jerk or not, business is business. You want something of value? Expect to pay for it. A former employer should not expect to treat you like the village bicycle.

- George Orwell

Old 09-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

The furthest that I would go is to have lunch with the person find out what he wants from you. Take a day or two to think it over and get back to him with what compensation you would require. Hourly is probably the best. It is just a business transaction.

I am still on my formers employer's payroll and I go in once a week for a few hours if there is an IT project for me. I fill out a time sheet and a paycheck is direct deposited to my bank the next week.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My reaction to such a request would be to say that I could not express an opinion because I do not work there any more. If they wanted to invite me back, it would be on a contract basis.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote