Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Estonia literally PAYS you to have children to encourage the population growth.
So... when should we send you ours?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So... when should we send you ours?
I don't want to fix one that you messed up.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Actually, since we live in Estonia, the expenses are quite limited. Estonia literally PAYS you to have children to encourage the population growth. And like other European countries, they see the importance of children and parents being able to spend a maximum amount of time together with keeping stress levels to a minimum. So my fiancée will be able to stop working 3 months prior to the expected delivery date and then once the baby is actually born we will get a very generous childbirth payment from both the state and local government. Then my fiancée will receive 100% of her current wage for the next 15 months and her employer must keep her job for her when/if she returns. We will also receive a monthly family benefit payment until the child is 16 years old. And of course there are no medical bills to pay due to the national health care system and dental (including orthodontics) are free until the age of 19. So no paying for those braces if needed. So basically the family benefit payments will pay for all the things that would otherwise eat into my budget (like baby food, wipes, diapers, etc).

So we cannot do this in america??

Ok how about some kind of national coverage??

Nah those insurance companies.......
ok, they need to start using estonia and not sweden or canada in those comparative studies about health care/family support for women/families! you're not making that up?

3 months before the baby comes are there statistics/reasons why? reduce maternal stress? i've had friends ordered on bed rest for 3-4 months, usually toward the end of the pregnancy - and they still end up working via the laptop...

so people regularly take the full 15 months off? i took off 3 with each bambina and felt very stressed about being out of the office, and then stressed returning to bulk back up...

what about child care? who does it? do moms typically stay at home, or are grandparents prevalent? what is the cost? and i'm guessing preschool is universal too then?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #24

Trek.. congratulations .. Yay!!

Don't get the word out or Michael Moore will be shepherding pregnant ladies to Estonia... shhhhhhh! ;-)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
ok, they need to start using estonia and not sweden or canada in those comparative studies about health care/family support for women/families! you're not making that up?

3 months before the baby comes are there statistics/reasons why? reduce maternal stress? i've had friends ordered on bed rest for 3-4 months, usually toward the end of the pregnancy - and they still end up working via the laptop...

so people regularly take the full 15 months off? i took off 3 with each bambina and felt very stressed about being out of the office, and then stressed returning to bulk back up...

what about child care? who does it? do moms typically stay at home, or are grandparents prevalent? what is the cost? and i'm guessing preschool is universal too then?
I looked it up and it's actually 70 days or 2.3 months before your expected due date you can knock off work. The ob-gyn gives you a note to take to your employer and they have to let you go. I don't know the exact reason other than it must suck to be 7 months pregnant and working. I image it's healthier for the baby if the mommy isn't stressed out. They're really big on good maternity/pre-natal care.

Oh, and you don't have to worry about a back load of work piling up. The companies hire temps to cover for women while they are out, since they're out for so long. And yes, the women take advantage of being able to stay home with their children as long as possible.

After the moms go back to work, you can enroll the children in one of the municipal daycare centers which, of course, there is no fee for. I think the parents have to pay for the meals though.

The Estonian government has really worked hard to take all the stress and worry off having children, which leads to more people having babies, which leads to a happy government (more population), happy parents (less stress, more family time) and happy children (more time with mom and dad who aren't stressed about bills).

Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Trek.. congratulations .. Yay!!

Don't get the word out or Michael Moore will be shepherding pregnant ladies to Estonia... shhhhhhh! ;-)
Thanks ladelfina!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #27

thanks for the info trek...even though i've reams of info on the euro countries and maternal health care - i'm still always stunned.

i worked thru month 9.5 (it is 10 months you know) and felt luxurious taking 2 weeks off before - both kids came early so only got about a week w/ #1 and a few days with #2 instead of the full two weeks before. you can get a month off if your doc says so, and only more if you have a medical condition.

we pay $500 month for preschool/child care 9am-3pm for #1 and it was double that cost in the bay area.

guess if everything is affordable it's easier to provide services/care - but if everything is wacked out of countrol - everything else spirals out of control with it too. the higher the costs, the more you have to pay everyone, the more everything costs...