Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Are people really that petty?

Is that a trick question?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=CaptTom;2352737]I don't really "get" celebrity worship. Sports figures, actors, politicians, CEO's, whatever. They're all people. Some of them happen to do their jobs very well, and I admire that. But I also admire a teacher or police officer or carpenter who do their jobs well.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Retire52;2352755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't really "get" celebrity worship. Sports figures, actors, politicians, CEO's, whatever. They're all people. Some of them happen to do their jobs very well, and I admire that. But I also admire a teacher or police officer or carpenter who do their jobs well.
Yes, celebrity worship is a point of friction with me also. If I never hear, see another story or image about the Kardashians, it would leave a little band width for science, philosophy or something more meaningful.

There are some exceptions worthy of our collective admiration of course, like John Bogle CEO Vanguard, George Washington, or Jesse Owen's German Olympics, etc. That have gone above and beyond to serve the greater good. But what Kim and Kanye our wearing on the red carpet is the last thing on earth I care about.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, I think celebrity worship is mostly a product of nightly news as well as very busy publicity orgs. People would quickly forget them if they weren’t covered all the time.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we are born we are all allowed to be private and anonymous. Unless you are born into The Royal Family. Sure, there is wealth, etc but not the right to be a private person. Meghan Markle CHOSE to give up her privacy when she became an actress. Harry never had a choice in the matter. The circumstances of his birth decided things for him.

I read an interview with him once where he talked about how horrible it was when his mother died. He was told he had to walk the funeral route behind the casket with his father, uncle and brother. He was so shattered and had to be brave and out in the public with millions of people watching.

Some people have the personality and temperament to fulfill a role in the royal family. Hopefully William is like that. Maybe Harry isn't and needs privacy and choices in his life.

When William's son, George was born it was big news and he's an adorable kid. But I thought, what a horrible thing to do to a real family. Your child is born and his path in life is already preplanned and all out in the public.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

How could we survive our pathetic, boring little lives if we could not live vicariously through the lives of the celebrities And now that the celebrities are telling us the right way to think when it comes to scientific, social and political issues, we have even more to be thankful for!!!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:15 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
When we are born we are all allowed to be private and anonymous. Unless you are born into The Royal Family. Sure, there is wealth, etc but not the right to be a private person. Meghan Markle CHOSE to give up her privacy when she became an actress. Harry never had a choice in the matter. The circumstances of his birth decided things for him.
Right. There are tons of people born to extreme privilege who we've never heard of, and never will. They get to enjoy the benefits of wealth without having the media hiding in the bushes everywhere they go.

But as far as Markle, what did she think was going to happen?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm kind of surprised at the number of people who have posted to comment (brag?) that they have no interest in this subject.

There are plenty of threads on this forum I have zero interest in but I respect that others do & just ignore them.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:58 AM   #49
Administrator

They are as entitled to a shot at happiness as anyone else. I wish them well.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Right. There are tons of people born to extreme privilege who we've never heard of, and never will. They get to enjoy the benefits of wealth without having the media hiding in the bushes everywhere they go.

I've said many times that I wouldn't mind being rich. I just don't want to be famous.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how being interested in this story is equal to celebrity worship, but now that I am an expert on British royalty thanks to The Crown (and very interested in whether Queen Elizabeth thinks Claire Foy or Olivia Colman was better at portraying her), I do wonder whether this decision might weaken public support for maintaining the monarchy, and imagine that is on the royals' minds.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #52

I’m disappointed by the whole decision. Now who’s going to lead the invasion of France?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I’m disappointed by the whole decision. Now who’s going to lead the invasion of France?
You so silly.
William the Conquerer, of course. As soon as his mum croaks.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

I don't think she was prepared for the vicious attacks on her race and her child's race .The British press is vicious .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Frexit.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't think she was prepared for the vicious attacks on her race and her child's race .The British press is vicious .
^^^^This
Old 01-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Honestly, I think celebrity worship is mostly a product of nightly news as well as very busy publicity orgs. People would quickly forget them if they weren’t covered all the time.

Bread and circuses...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Frexit.

Got it. Brexit will lead to Frexit, therefore Megxit is a non-event.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I've said many times that I wouldn't mind being rich. I just don't want to be famous.
+1 You couldn't pay me to be famous.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Race aside, how the press treated her deceased mother in law should've been a tipoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post