Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would think that they are going to lose their big royal allowance that goes along with royal duties. They are selling items online which must be embarrassing to the family. I wouldn’t walk across the street to see them.
you wouldn’t walk across the street? i wouldn’t look across the street.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ah, the good ol royal family. Im still not sure what they do? And im really not sure what the fascination is with them.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW, they reportedly have a joint net worth of about $41 million. (He inherited a boatload from his mom and she had a successful career.)

I wish them well out of the pressure-cooker and trust they will continue doing meaningful philanthropic work.
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And let's remember that his great-uncle walked away from the throne itself...to the admiration of many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post
I love the idea that anyone can see the appeal of freedom, even if it means giving up a complacent life of comfort.

I suspect he’s had to work some in his career as an army officer. Should be interesting to see if they make it stick.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:04 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I just knew that, eventually, there'd be a thread that I really don't give a crap about.
+1. The first report was news, everything after is gossip column nonsense. There’s WAY to much “news” about pretty people. Much ado about nothing...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
And let's remember that his great-uncle walked away from the throne itself...to the admiration of many
...putting his unprepared stuttering brother on the throne, leading in part to his early death, and changing the life of a young girl who would have been mostly carefree and instead became Queen forever (at least, as far as his now-late-wife, the Queen Mum, and the Queen, see it.)

Anyway, I get it, and I've no real feeling one way or the other. He's the spare, after all.

I do think though, if they are going to step away, then all this "sussex branding" and selling stuff is ridiculous.

Can't turn your nose up at royal cake and eat it too.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #27

I enjoy British history before Elizabeth. The abdicating King Edward Vlll, also known as "David" and how he chummed around with Hitler. If he were king, the world would be a different place. He hated the limelight as well. But lived in luxury, so the monarchy certainly took care of him and Wallace.
Poor Diana, she just couldn't get it together. Diana got sick of the BS and went her own way, a life sadly interrupted. Charles was in love with Camilla long before Diana came along. He wanted to marry Camilla but that plan got intercepted by his mom and her cohorts. Apparently, Camilla was not as pure as they wanted.

Prince Harry is aware of this history and is probably disillusioned by it all. I don't blame him one bit. The Windsor's even faked their real identity.
"The name was changed from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the English Windsor (from Windsor Castle) in 1917 because of anti-German sentiment in the British Empire during World War I." They're of German descent.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I’m seeing “Megxit” in the headlines—clever! Anything to get the Kardashians into the hasbeen column on the grocery store tabloid covers....
Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Ah, the good ol royal family. Im still not sure what they do? And im really not sure what the fascination is with them.
They're Kardashians done British-style.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

With apologies to our British members and other members of the Commonwealth, didn't we (meaning the Americans on this site) kick the monarchy out of our country over 200 years ago?

I fail to see the fascination for them except as a historical learning exercise. After all, a lot of people live and die based upon which fool is on the throne. IIRC, we might all be spelling color as 'colour' and drinking from the bubbler if George III had been a more reasonable fellow. Or maybe we would have been sold to the French or Spanish. Heck, we might all be Canadians!!!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm finding this and the Netflix series, The Crown, more interesting because I did an Ancestry.com DNA origins thing and I am pretty sure my ancestors were cleaning the royal stables back in the day. If only we had stayed--I might have worked my way up to grooming the horses.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure many people actually admired ex King Uncle, in fact I'd say the opposite was true.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I feel like with privilege comes responsibility. Prince Harry has lived a life of privilege. By that I mean, for example, he has never had to get up at 6 AM to walk across town in order to work a full shift at McDonald's.
Not quite accurate. Prince Harry served in the Army for ten years, rising to the rank of Captain and undertaking two tours of Afghanistan. I understand that he was probably protected because of his station in life, but still more than a "job at McD's"
Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
She’s dead, Jim.
I guess that shows how much I follow this Royal Family stuff! The point still stands that Queen Elizabeth II wants Harry to stay as a visible part of the family while Harry wants to retire from the whole deal.

Maybe my OMY is a bit off. IMO, it is not unlike your boss asking "The company has been so good to you. Stay a while longer so we have time to find your replacement, won't you? " Similar, except the "replacement" part.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

After all, a lot of people live and die based upon which fool is on the throne. IIRC, we might all be spelling color as 'colour' and drinking from the bubbler if George III had been a more reasonable fellow.
Here in Massachusetts, we (or at least some of us) have been drinking from the "bubblah" ever since elementary school. Tea Party notwithstanding.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
FWIW, they reportedly have a joint net worth of about $41 million. (He inherited a boatload from his mom and she had a successful career.)
I get this. But I went to their "new" website and in multiple places it emphasizes that they want to be able to work and earn their own money likes lots of the minor royals are able to do. SO if they've got plenty of money, why are they demanding the "freedom" to go earn a living? That's the part I don't get. Unless she was blackballed from acting and she really wants to act.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Don’t much care, but I can see, given the treatment they, and other “celebs”, get from The Press, why Sinatra punched so many photographers in the face...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

All this and more. And I myself could only stand a job so long that requires wearing a fascinator while bending down to talk to non-related little children who are too young to have conversations.

Actually I don't think they are looking to FIRE - quite the opposite. The articles I've seen, imply that they don't enjoy the "royal" duties, would like to work at something else, and raise their son that way, too. Harry can tap into his dad's private money when necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
She has such an odd family situation the press can’t let go of and that will never get better, and the paparazzi are ruthless. Harry is never going to be king so why not leave the castle and create a better life? They are already a brand unto themselves—I’ll be interested to see what they do next.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Because they are not minor royalty. They are the future king's brother and sister-in-law.

Truly, one needs to be British to understand the different "grades" of royalty, but Dukes and Duchesses that close to the throne are definitely expected to behave in certain well-defined ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
I get this. But I went to their "new" website and in multiple places it emphasizes that they want to be able to work and earn their own money likes lots of the minor royals are able to do. SO if they've got plenty of money, why are they demanding the "freedom" to go earn a living? That's the part I don't get. Unless she was blackballed from acting and she really wants to act.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #40

I don't really "get" celebrity worship. Sports figures, actors, politicians, CEO's, whatever. They're all people. Some of them happen to do their jobs very well, and I admire that. But I also admire a teacher or police officer or carpenter who do their jobs well.

They're royals? So what! It sounds like they have good reasons for wanting to go in a different direction. Maybe some friction with other royals, as well as from the press. Good for them. None of my business, and their decisions hold none of my interest.

Probably the one thing that surprised me was that some headlines talked about racism because she's black. Really? I didn't even know that. I had to find a picture and look closer. Yeah, I guess she is dark skinned. I probably wouldn't have noticed if she were green. Are people really that petty? Wow.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote