Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I like them both and wish them well. When the queen dies in a few years, it will be a footnote to history. I believe Markle is driving this because she wants her own life. Good for her! Harry deserves a wife like that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

^ actually what I have read and from reports it is Harry that is the one that wants out.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Even minor children are no longer immune from vicious attacks (Ms. Thunberg and Mr. Sandmann come to mind, both 16.) .
There is a huge difference between the two. One of them actively seeks media attention and is a self-proclaimed "voice" for the younger generation. If you take that route you (or your handlers) are open to criticism regardless of your age.

The other one was the innocent victim of a vicious media attack where facts were completely ignored.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

One big point, if they do go it alone, the taxpayers of Britain shouldn't be on the hook. And with the $, they already have, I'm not sure why they would be. Megan is worth like $41MM, they don't need the $. Why have the been and why do they think they should continue to do so?

If you want to help the common people, why wouldn't you start by relinquishing funds that you don't need?
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

The "royals." lol

Are we still in the 1700's? Queens and kings, lol...ok. They are super duper important in todays society. They are totally needed.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! The Queen lets them quit.

Let Megxit proceed!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
The "royals." lol

Are we still in the 1700's? Queens and kings, lol...ok. They are super duper important in todays society. They are totally needed.
Looking around the world today, not much has changed. We still have despots, dictators and wanna-be kings. People doing anything to obtain power and stay in power.

Names withheld to protect the thread...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #88

I wonder if there is a bit of irony, AND liberation, in the fact that Elizabeth's sister Margaret, Prince Charles's brother Andrew and Prince William's brother Harry have all been adversely affected by the fact that their elder sibling would inherit the throne yet they each were expected to accept extreme limitations on their liberty as number 2.

I think it must have been a challenge to accept that diminished role yet adhere to the countless limitations that living in a fishbowl encompass. I think "civil servant in a tiara" is the phrase used to describe Meghan's role. I don't envy this group of seconds and I don't blame them for chafing (Margaret and Andrew) and outright rejection in the case of Harry and Meghan, especially in the face of racism in the British press.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
There is a huge difference between the two. One of them actively seeks media attention and is a self-proclaimed "voice" for the younger generation. If you take that route you (or your handlers) are open to criticism regardless of your age.

The other one was the innocent victim of a vicious media attack where facts were completely ignored.
+1
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #90

I’m probably going to have to take my sleep medication worrying about this whole thing
Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #91

My newsfeed had an intriguing article with side by side comparisons of the media’s treatment of Kate and Meghan. I can’t blame them for what they are trying to do. If I were them, I’d feel the same way. It’s good to see them trying to carve out their lives together. They seem genuinely committed to one another. Pretty important in a marriage. Unlike the way Charles treated Diana.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
My newsfeed had an intriguing article with side by side comparisons of the media’s treatment of Kate and Meghan. I can’t blame them for what they are trying to do. If I were them, I’d feel the same way. It’s good to see them trying to carve out their lives together. They seem genuinely committed to one another. Pretty important in a marriage. Unlike the way Charles treated Diana.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

This article lays it out nicely. Truly disgusting.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Yes I saw those articles. If Kate does something it’s wonderful but Meghan does the same thing and they spin it negatively. Makes you wonder why the need to do this?
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yes I saw those articles. If Kate does something it’s wonderful but Meghan does the same thing and they spin it negatively. Makes you wonder why the need to do this?
wow. a biased press. who woulda thought?
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 01-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ actually what I have read and from reports it is Harry that is the one that wants out.
It may have been easier to do something salacious like his uncle Prince Andrew did and then the Queen would have invited him to step away from the spotlight.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Good for them.

BUT.....we in Canada should not have to pay the estimated $1.7 million per year for their protection. It should be on their dime, not ours. HRH can well afford this.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

The queen pretty much told Harry and Meghan good riddance :

Quote:
Prince Harry and Meghan are no longer working members of the royal family and will repay the Sovereign Grant funds they recently spent to renovate their official residence, Frogmore Cottage -- £2.4 million (about $3 million) of British taxpayers' money -- the palace said in a statement.

As part of the agreement, the couple will be required to step back from their royal duties, including military appointments, and no longer represent the Queen, the statement from Buckingham Palace said.

Harry and Meghan will no longer receive funds for royal duties, it said. The arrangement will go into effect this spring.

"Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family," Queen Elizabeth II said in a statement.
"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family," she said. "I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/uk/ha...rnd/index.html
Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Good for them.

BUT.....we in Canada should not have to pay the estimated $1.7 million per year for their protection. It should be on their dime, not ours. HRH can well afford this.
Can't that be put to a vote in Canada? I agree, why maintain these sorts of ties to the British Monarchy from across an ocean? What do they do for you?

Hopefully, you don't need to go to war like we did back in 1775.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Blow That Dough!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #99

Blow That Dough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
BUT.....we in Canada should not have to pay the estimated $1.7 million per year for their protection.
As government expenditures go, that's not even the shadow of a freckle on a rounding error. But it's a significant amount to me. How many bodyguards can you hire for $1.7M? I bet it's a lot.

Why would they need so much security? Do Canadians dislike the royal couple? If so, why did H&M announce they're moving there? It would have been much easier to keep a low profile in some Mediterranean villa where English is not the local language.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #100

lots of people IN canada besides Canadians...and likely a good portion of them may not be friendly towards H&M. maybe even some actual Canadians, too. their faces have been splashed around the globe so not a lot of places they can go to be incognito.