Join Early Retirement Today

Prince Harry -
Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Prince Harry -

Looks like the good Prince is joining the FIRE movement. I hope he can maintain the FI part
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just knew that, eventually, there'd be a thread that I really don't give a crap about.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might be surprised to learn just how many people would eagerly pay big $$ just to look those two royals in person. I am related to some of those devotees.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
Looks like the good Prince is joining the FIRE movement. I hope he can maintain the FI part
I think the Queen Mother is negotiating for OMY.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I feel like with privilege comes responsibility. Prince Harry has lived a life of privilege. By that I mean, for example, he has never had to get up at 6 AM to walk across town in order to work a full shift at McDonald's. I think he has a responsibility to not just quit like that, whether he wants to or not. IMO he needs to keep a stiff upper lip and force himself to go to all those balls, banquets, and fox hunts, or whatever royals are supposed to be doing. It's a tough life but oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would think that they are going to lose their big royal allowance that goes along with royal duties. They are selling items online which must be embarrassing to the family. I wouldn’t walk across the street to see them.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would think that they are going to lose their big royal allowance that goes along with royal duties. They are selling items online which must be embarrassing to the family. I wouldn’t walk across the street to see them.
Markle has been successful in the past, so she will be fine. Harry, on the other hand, I bet he keeps the gravy train from the UK citizens intact.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

The british press are ruthless . I don't blame them for wanting some space. I love Harry .He is my favorite royal.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #9

He's 5th in line in an over bloated line. And she's wealthy. They'll be fine
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I feel like with privilege comes responsibility. Prince Harry has lived a life of privilege. By that I mean, for example, he has never had to get up at 6 AM to walk across town in order to work a full shift at McDonald's. I think he has a responsibility to not just quit like that, whether he wants to or not. IMO he needs to keep a stiff upper lip and force himself to go to all those balls, banquets, and fox hunts, or whatever royals are supposed to be doing. It's a tough life but oh well, whatcha gonna do?
I don't see the connection between being born to privilege and being forced to do something you dont want to do.

Born to privilege isn't something you should be punished for...at least when and where I grew up. Heck, growing up I never knew anyone who worked at McDonald's; still don't...but that doesn't mean I need to do things simply because its expected of me.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the idea that anyone can see the appeal of freedom, even if it means giving up a complacent life of comfort.

I suspect he’s had to work some in his career as an army officer. Should be interesting to see if they make it stick.
Extra Medium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #12

I am always confused by the folks in the US obsessed with the ROYALS. I think we dumped them a few hundred years ago.

Who cares?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

She has such an odd family situation the press can’t let go of and that will never get better, and the paparazzi are ruthless. Harry is never going to be king so why not leave the castle and create a better life? They are already a brand unto themselves—I’ll be interested to see what they do next.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #14

When he was 13 years old, he watched his mother hounded to her death by paparazzi. He has vowed he would not allow his wife to suffer the same fate his mother did at the hands of the press, subject to constant scrutiny and attacks for no reason.

He served 10 years active duty in the British military, including deployments to the Middle East.

He founded the Invictus Games in 2014, and through this venture has done and continues to do incredible, inspiring work with wounded and disabled service members around the world.

He has done a lot of charity work in Africa focused on combating HIV/Aids in children (carrying on his mother's legacy).

He has spoken publicly about his own mental health challenges in an effort to fight the stigma, and to encourage others without the benefit of his platform, to get help.

Since joining forces with his wife, they have both focused on charity work around the world.

He is not a lazy or "layabout" royal like some in his family.

He has seen his wife and his child both subjected to vicious, nasty attacks on multiple occasions in the British tabloids, and received little if any support from the extended royal family when this occurs.

He and the Duchess are human beings with a new child to raise. I admire them for putting their child first, and for wanting to follow a path where they can contribute to the greater good in the world while at the same time giving their son a healthy, balanced life away from the prying eyes of the British press.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #15

I happen to like Harry. Combat vet puts up or shuts up not to mention going to a Halloween party dressed up in a non politically correct uniform. I was extremely sad that once he got hitched I would never have a chance to party with him, Dale jr, and Kid Rock. Party on Harry
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I think the Queen Mother is negotiating for OMY.
She’s dead, Jim.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I just knew that, eventually, there'd be a thread that I really don't give a crap about.
You know I am part English and could just care less what happens in England. I don't have anything against England or its people at all of course, there are a lot of fine people from there , but I just don't get the fascination with it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
You know I am part English and could just care less what happens in England. I don't have anything against England or its people at all of course, there are a lot of fine people from there , but I just don't get the fascination with it.
I was born there...escaped 60 years ago....and I agree.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well he did serve in the military, didn’t he? So I think he did have to get up early to go to work.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I agree. Not ina nasty way, but I just don't care. I'm with Lt. Drebin:
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote