Join Early Retirement Today

Problems with Associa HOA
Old 09-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Problems with Associa HOA

At the end of May I moved to my brand new retirement condo in Reno. I am very happy with the unit, however the HOA management company Associa is another matter. They are totally neglecting the landscaping. I have called them many times and nothing happens. I should not have to call. This is their job to manage. There are tree shoots and weeds all over the property that are taking over and some are 2 feet high. There are 7 dead trees that I can see from my balcony. The sprinklers are flooding the grounds and there is standing water. There is dog mess all over the place and it stinks. Almost no one picks up after their dog. They failed to make tenant's move their cars out of the guest parking and it didn't get sealed and the spaces are piled with dirt. I have never know a company to be so negligent and unresponsive. In the mean time they issued me a warning for some little yard ornaments that were on the ground in front of my place, which I have removed. This is a brand new development. In May the landscaping looked great. It looks like trash now. I am going to the HOA board meeting this Thursday to see what they say. I'm wondering if any of you have advice. On Yelp Associa has 1.5 stars, they have 2.2 on Google and 1 on Facebook. Their BBB page is full of 1 star reviews and hundreds of complaints but the BBB rates them A+.
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
I am going to the HOA board meeting this Thursday to see what they say. I'm wondering if any of you have advice.
Going to the board meeting would have been my initial advice.

I'm the Treasurer and a Board member in my HOA. The vast majority of people with complaints can't be bothered to go to a meeting. That's unfortunate, as showing up to voice your problems in person often goes a long way.

If you don't get satisfaction at the meeting, read through your by-laws and learn the formal process for filing a complaint in writing. Creating a petition and getting some of your neighbors to sign and join you in your complaint should help.

Try to be specific in your complaint and requests with dates and times. Pictures can help. General complaints like "you are doing a terrible job" are less effective.

Quote:
On Yelp Associa has 1.5 stars, they have 2.2 on Google and 1 on Facebook. Their BBB page is full of 1 star reviews and hundreds of complaints but the BBB rates them A+.
It's unfortunate you didn't read these star ratings before purchasing. Sounds bad.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do other neighbors have the same issues with the HOA? It is supposed to represent the homeowners, after all. Get some like-minded people together, and storm the meeting. Bring photos.

Remember: one complainer = a crank.
Two complainers = an issue.
Three or more = a movement.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know how far along your development is as far as built out. It is very common for the Owner/Builder to control the HOA until xx% of the units are sold. The Owner/Builder then only puts on an appearance of a nice property then neglects and maybe doesn't even build out amenities. Another ploy is to under fund the dues to make it more "affordable" then the new Board is the bad guys for raising dues.

You may have to wait until the owners take over the HOA. And then hope that the Board is functional together. failing that I might find out the Board members and pester them in person

*edit...or go to the Board meeting with back up (see above)
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Do other neighbors have the same issues with the HOA? It is supposed to represent the homeowners, after all. Get some like-minded people together, and storm the meeting. Bring photos.

Remember: one complainer = a crank.
Two complainers = an issue.
Three or more = a movement.
The issues with weeds and dog mess and sprinklers are all over the common area so yes everyone as the same issues. I have talked with one neighbor, I'm trying to find more. Some are renters who don't care.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I don't know how far along your development is as far as built out. It is very common for the Owner/Builder to control the HOA until xx% of the units are sold. The Owner/Builder then only puts on an appearance of a nice property then neglects and maybe doesn't even build out amenities. Another ploy is to under fund the dues to make it more "affordable" then the new Board is the bad guys for raising dues.

You may have to wait until the owners take over the HOA. And then hope that the Board is functional together. failing that I might find out the Board members and pester them in person
The property sold out in May. The transfer to the new board is happening. The builder did finish the common area amenities, but possibly has not funded on going landscaping.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Some are renters who don't care.
The owners of the units might. Or at least they should.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Going to the board meeting would have been my initial advice.

I'm the Treasurer and a Board member in my HOA. The vast majority of people with complaints can't be bothered to go to a meeting. That's unfortunate, as showing up to voice your problems in person often goes a long way.

If you don't get satisfaction at the meeting, read through your by-laws and learn the formal process for filing a complaint in writing. Creating a petition and getting some of your neighbors to sign and join you in your complaint should help.

Try to be specific in your complaint and requests with dates and times. Pictures can help. General complaints like "you are doing a terrible job" are less effective.

It's unfortunate you didn't read these star ratings before purchasing. Sounds bad.
I have sent emails with pictures of each problem item to the builder rep and to the HOA management company agent. I have listed out over watering, soaking ground, weeds and tree shoots everywhere, 7 dead trees, dog mess everywhere. I have been very specific.

My problem isn't with my property, only with the HOA management and I would not have known who they were before I bought. If they don't clean up the mess I'll push for the board to replace them.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We have a condo complex near us that took 3 years to build and sell out. The residents were having the same kind of problems when the builder ran the HOA (lack of maintenance). Now that it's (the HOA) run by owner-members, they found out that the builder did not police residents that did not pay HOA fees since construction started. Consequently, the HOA has $60K in uncollected fees that they may never collect.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
I have sent emails with pictures of each problem item to the builder rep and to the HOA management company agent. I have listed out over watering, soaking ground, weeds and tree shoots everywhere, 7 dead trees, dog mess everywhere. I have been very specific.
You should have copied the HOA board on your emails and photos.

Many times the management company agents are instructed to deal with one committee member or member of the board (for example, the head of the Landscaping Committee). That way, they don't have to handle hundreds of issues arriving randomly, but can have issues funneled and coordinated with one individual.

We have had this issue with our landscaping and plowing. Individual homeowners were trying to get the workers to do all sorts of things at our expense.

Quote:
My problem isn't with my property, only with the HOA management and I would not have known who they were before I bought. If they don't clean up the mess I'll push for the board to replace them.
Before I bought a home in our HOA, I learned who all the major service providers were, and researched them.

Good luck. You'll likely need help in your push, I suspect. It will probably take some time.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Consequently, the HOA has $60K in uncollected fees that they may never collect.
Why not? Just because they haven't yet been collected doesn't mean that cannot.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

You don't yet know if the issue is your board or the association - often two separate entities. Since you mention as well the development is brand new, it may not yet even have a board, and you might still have the builders in charge? I think with a lot of properties, they don't officially setup boards until 90% of units are sold or something?
Check your HOA bylaws to see how the chain of command works.

Get a couple of neighbors who are similarly irked and show up with printed evidence at the HOA meeting, prepare to be a real nuisance.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You don't yet know if the issue is your board or the association - often two separate entities. Since you mention as well the development is brand new, it may not yet even have a board, and you might still have the builders in charge? I think with a lot of properties, they don't officially setup boards until 90% of units are sold or something?
Check your HOA bylaws to see how the chain of command works.

Get a couple of neighbors who are similarly irked and show up with printed evidence at the HOA meeting, prepare to be a real nuisance.
They sent out ballots for the board last month and they are going through the transition to the owner board. As far as I can tell the builder and the association have dropped the ball on landscaping of the common areas, but I will find out at the board meeting what is going on and what their plan is. In the mean time the place is so overrun with weeds that it will be difficult to clean it up. I am trying to round up neighbors.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We have a condo complex near us that took 3 years to build and sell out. The residents were having the same kind of problems when the builder ran the HOA (lack of maintenance). Now that it's (the HOA) run by owner-members, they found out that the builder did not police residents that did not pay HOA fees since construction started. Consequently, the HOA has $60K in uncollected fees that they may never collect.
Liens can be placed on the property.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
They sent out ballots for the board last month and they are going through the transition to the owner board. As far as I can tell the builder and the association have dropped the ball on landscaping of the common areas, but I will find out at the board meeting what is going on and what their plan is. In the mean time the place is so overrun with weeds that it will be difficult to clean it up. I am trying to round up neighbors.
you may want to negotiate the builder do a clean up of weeds and check of the sprinklers before turn over
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You should have copied the HOA board on your emails and photos.

Many times the management company agents are instructed to deal with one committee member or member of the board (for example, the head of the Landscaping Committee). That way, they don't have to handle hundreds of issues arriving randomly, but can have issues funneled and coordinated with one individual.

We have had this issue with our landscaping and plowing. Individual homeowners were trying to get the workers to do all sorts of things at our expense.

Before I bought a home in our HOA, I learned who all the major service providers were, and researched them.

Good luck. You'll likely need help in your push, I suspect. It will probably take some time.
Once I find out who the board members are and how to contact them I will copy them. In the mean time I'm trying to get the association to clean up the landscaping before it is beyond hope.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
you may want to negotiate the builder do a clean up of weeds and check of the sprinklers before turn over
Yes I am going to suggest that to the board at the meeting.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why not? Just because they haven't yet been collected doesn't mean that cannot.
My understanding is that legal actions are being evaluated and will be costly. Plus, some of the early buyers have sold and moved, or were renting with an option to buy. It's a big mess with poor recordkeeping. One of my friends is a homeowner and relayed this situation to me and our ROMEO group.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #19

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. The HOA will have a Board of Directors although in a new development, the HOA/board may be run by the builder. Associa is a management company that would have been hired by the HOA or perhaps builder in this case to take care of day to day operation and dealing with vendors who will do the actual work like maintaining the landscape. The management company e.g. Associa is not part of the HOA. It will be under contract and that contract will probably include conditions of performance so it might be possible to fire the management company for cause. The problem will be if the board is still controlled by the developer/builder. They may be trying to avoid paying for routine maintenance but I would think your CC&R's would dictate what the builder has to continue to do prior to the owners taking control. If the builder is not living up to the terms of the CC&R's, then there may be grounds for legal action. Is the builder in distress?
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At the end of May I moved to my brand new retirement condo in Reno. I am very happy with the unit, however the HOA management company Associa is another matter. They are totally neglecting the landscaping. I have called them many times and nothing happens. I should not have to call. This is their job to manage. There are tree shoots and weeds all over the property that are taking over and some are 2 feet high. There are 7 dead trees that I can see from my balcony. The sprinklers are flooding the grounds and there is standing water. There is dog mess all over the place and it stinks. Almost no one picks up after their dog. They failed to make tenant's move their cars out of the guest parking and it didn't get sealed and the spaces are piled with dirt. I have never know a company to be so negligent and unresponsive. In the mean time they issued me a warning for some little yard ornaments that were on the ground in front of my place, which I have removed. This is a brand new development. In May the landscaping looked great. It looks like trash now. I am going to the HOA board meeting this Thursday to see what they say. I'm wondering if any of you have advice. On Yelp Associa has 1.5 stars, they have 2.2 on Google and 1 on Facebook. Their BBB page is full of 1 star reviews and hundreds of complaints but the BBB rates them A+.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote