Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost zero contact with former work associates. Iím okay but do wonder how some are doing.
Your experience will be similar. We all have different things going on in our lives.
Gallaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I rarely speak to my former flying colleagues but on occasion I do have lunch with a couple that live in the local area. When I initially retired, I would often get calls from folks asking advice on airplane stuff since I was "on the inside" of a large DoD contractor and had a lot of experience with "oddities" with the airplane but I nipped those in the bud pretty quick, though. I enjoyed the folks I flew with, but I also spent a LOT of time with them...sometimes weeks at a time. So, I am sure they tired of me.

Once in a blue moon, someone might reach out looking for legal advice to which they seem to get annoyed when I tell them I can't help (usually because they are not in the state in which I am licensed).
Old 07-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

LinkedIN works for me. I have 1000+ contacts related to my professional experience and came to know ~50 of them very well (society meetings, dinners, etc). LinkedIN notifies me of their work anniversaries, new jobs, etc. and gives me a chance to communicate with them.
Winston Churchill (?)
TexasPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in a similar boat as you in which I emailed all my contacts that I felt were friends or people I enjoyed. I passed along my personal cell and email with offers that I would meet them if they were ever in the area for business or pleasure and buy them dinner. Less than a handful have kept in touch. I can't fault them as our friendship was based on business and I was no longer in that field or engaged in business activity.

I've made fantastic new friends since then so don't feel depressed about those lost acquaintances and friends.
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are an extrovert who seeks out friendships and relationships and is willing to put in the work to maintain them then you easily can. Provided retirement doesnít mean move to another state

My career had me all over and in a plane all the time. That builds professional relationships but not personal ones. I am an introvert so there is that. I retired and moved out of the country so not like I will be available for coffee. So in my case the answer is virtually none survived.

I could follow people on Facebook or LinkedIn but donít do Social Media. The idea gives me a rash.

Also retiring early and being much more successful or fortunate than ones work friends and associates can put a strain on relationships. They want to bitch about a horrible client and you want to tell them about your trip somewhere or your new hobby. Have gotten together with many on various trips back but invariably we are in 2 different places and the connection ends. Maybe they will call me once they retire?
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
They go away
Old 07-23-2021, 05:27 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

They go away

You'll find that once you retire that all those relationships, whether with fellow employees, customers, and so on, with go by the wayside. You will have nothing left in common with them, and there is nothing wrong with that. In retirement you will move on and find others in your same boat, I am sure.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
Hi all. I am likely to retire end of 2022.

One thing I am thinking about is what will become of my professional relationships after retirement. I don't mean with people in my company, but instead with people all over the US in my industry with whom I have developed friendships. People I see at industry conferences, business boondoggle trips, dinners, etc. None of those folks are retiring -- though many are older than I am. I have found these relationships to be the most rewarding part of my career (putting aside financial compensation). For those of you who had such relationships, did you continue them after retirement? Or did they just end?

For me it would be unfortunate for them to end. But I think maybe we would no longer have much in common.
I retired as an engineer and I have lunch regularly with the Resident Engineer of Public Works and a co-worker who was promoted to a supervisor. They was close friends of mine which I had lunch with regularly when I was working. When I retired, we continued this practice. I get caught up with the office politics and I tell them what retirement is like. My wife opened a business which is a partnership with my wife and I plus a close friend. I tell them that my wife is more knowledgeable in a small business than I am and it has been successful so I have a lot of small business stories to tell them.

I am also in contact with my former supervisor who changed job 500 miles away but I keep in touch via social media. About 15 years ago, I was stationed in Afghanistan as a civilian engineer and a civilian co-worker still see me when he is in California since he is now stationed in Europe. Our relationship was due to the fact that we were both ex-military so we appreciate each otherís military experiences. Other co-workers I do not see because we did not have the chemistry to maintain a close relationship.

I am now an unpaid volunteer at a cityís recreational center so I am making new relationships with younger people and they appreciate my experiences. For example, I tell them that I still surf in Hawaii at age 70 and tell them who are the good surfing instructors in Waikiki.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have two former colleagues that were friends at work that I have kept in contact with since leaving the same company we all worked for in 1998. I stopped working due to massive lay-offs in my industry in 2002 and decided (with blessings from my spouse) to retire then. A couple of other former work colleges occasionally check-in with me, but mostly it's me reaching out.
As most everyone else has said, you'll need to to decide that life going forward after work will be that - going forward, making new friends and having new adventures.
Do it before you have time to change your mind, get too old, and become immobile!!!
frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:55 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I like a lot of my coworkers and professional contacts but when I retire I can't imagine staying in touch with them. All the social interactions with them was work-related in some way - work lunches, after-work happy hours, conferences, professional org events - so that was the common thread. Once I'm out I know I won't have any interest in hearing about work-related things.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykle57 View Post
Welcoming to retirement. I've not had much success with keeping in contact with my co-workers and colleagues. Started by exchanging email and occasional phone calls but, wained over time as did my relevancy in the field. Hope you have better results.
+1

A few Zooms during the lockdown to make sure everyone was okay, maybe an email once/year, but thatís it. Itís because what we had most in common was the work we were engaged in. Turns out those friendships (with 1-2 exceptions) werenít based on anything more.

On the plus side, I have a lot more time for my non-work friendships, and a few of them have gotten much stronger and deeper. And Iíve made new friends from engaging in my retirement hobbies of botanical art and pickleball.
Into spreadsheets, making art, walking in nature, gardening, fitness training, beer, pickleball, reading
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote