projects after retire

Of course, chalk paint (if you buy Annie Sloan) is expensive but goes a long way. There are some other calls "milk paint" - all the same really. Really easy to use and looks great. No sanding or prep unless it's not a smooth surface. Lots of places have classes to teach you techniques. I'm planning a future paint job on my parent's china hutch from the 50's. It's dark finish is super dated but I saw one done on Pinterest and it looked great. So I get to keep a sentimental piece but update it to my tastes.

Here are a pair of 1974 Honda Trail 90 CT90's with sequential VIN's and plates. I found them in a cattle rancher's barn where they had been sitting for almost 20 years;

Last edited:
Skipro33,

Very nice, exceptional restoration. I recall riding with friends as a kid. Do you only do the 90 or other models too?

🐑

Skipro33, very nice work! ;)

In the 70's, I had a 250 Bultaco Matador. It was fun! Haven't see one in decades.

Skidpro33, that is amazing! I had a 1966 Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in high school, bought it one year old in '67. Had a ball with it.

Today it would be considered a rolling environmental disaster. There was one long hill that I would go up regularly and at wide open throttle it would hold ~40-45 mph the two-stroke screaming. The smoke cloud behind was so thick you could barely see through it with that Yamaha oil injection system for the two-stroke engine. I imagine a lot of people behind were cussing at me! At 17 years old I never gave it a thought.

Skipro33,

Those look great! You should bring them up to my place. We have miles and miles of serious ATV trails up here. A couple of days up here and you would have more restoration projects for some time to come! :D

Thanks for sharing.

MRG; For older bikes, I mainly do the Trail 90, but I will restore anything that'll turn a coin for me.

aja8888; In the 70's I had a Bultaco Persang. Fang-the Persang I called it. I rode it on the Barstow to Vegas race as well as Baja on several occasions. (I lived in San Berardino at the time) I'm looking for one to restore now.

Walt34; Yamaha Twin 2-strokes rocked!! I had a 1975 Yamaha RD350. A 2 cylinder 2 stroke. My brother put it into a barb wire fence and never rode again after that. I rebuilt and sold it to my father-in-law.

Hermit; I've got something better for Colorado; a Yamaha TW200 I restored and modified some;

Of course, chalk paint (if you buy Annie Sloan) is expensive but goes a long way. There are some other calls "milk paint" - all the same really. Really easy to use and looks great. No sanding or prep unless it's not a smooth surface. Lots of places have classes to teach you techniques. I'm planning a future paint job on my parent's china hutch from the 50's. It's dark finish is super dated but I saw one done on Pinterest and it looked great. So I get to keep a sentimental piece but update it to my tastes.

I didn't realize there were classes. I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the idea. I do like the idea of upcycling for a hobby. I have a lot of Pinterest pages bookmarked.

Last edited:
Daylate, depending upon your area, lots of recycle places have them as well as art crafts stores. You can also try the Annie Sloan site for the stockiest in your area and see if they do classes or just google a chalk paint or milk paint workshop. The Annie Sloan workshop are great because they teach you three finishes.

Yeah, my pinterest page is kinda full of this stuff too!

We do lots of projects - DIY type things and always have a list going. We do not let it interfere with fun. We may have a plan to work on something, but if the day is nice we will kayak instead.

Some of the projects were remodeling the master bath, putting in a patio in the back, replacing trim, tiling, etc. We really enjoy the diy although I have to say the patio almost killed us. We bought a crate of huge natural stones in different sizes (some weighed more than 150) and sunk them into grass in the back. Better project for 25 year olds who lift weights.

When we first retired years ago we made a list of stuff we would like to do around the house and I go back to it if I am bored - especially in NE winter.

My first "project" was a part-time MFA which I have recently finished - graduation is in July.

I need a new project quick - before DW comes up with one for me :facepalm:.

Congrats, Trainee. I'm thinking of an MFA myself, in creative writing.

7 years in for me, list of projects and activities never stops growing, I used to keep an actual list but gave that up. We built (I did about 30% of the actual hands on work) a guest cabin two years ago and are just finishing up a house for family on our property. We also have nine alpacas so they give us some work to do as well.

I try to take on very few projects that have actual schedules or end dates but sometimes can't avoid some pressure to finish. I volunteer a bit in the local area for two main causes, get asked to join other groups fairly often but usually tell people that if it has an actual schedule like a meeting every two weeks or every first Monday, not interested. If help is needed for a specific task or day, they let me know and I try to help but really don't like having anything on my calendar anymore. We don't travel, the animals make a great excuse but I really wouldn't travel anyway- did too much of that during the working career.

I do have a current project that I've made progress on and have motivation to complete - and that is converting as much of our spray sprinklers to drip lines.

I've got the back fence line done and dialed in finally (could not figure out why two of the heads were not dripping the same as the others - turns out that there are different gallons per hour ratings for the adapters available...duh...read the label).

I have parts on order to convert two of the flower beds with drip line which use easy drop in conversion kits (Rainbird brand).

But I have some Hunter sprinkler heads that don't have conversion kits, so I'll have to dig up the heads, put in new risers and drip line heads.

Should cut down ALOT on waste and save a bunch of water.

Current projects:
Lose another 100 pounds (down 23 so far).
Get rid of about 40 years accumulation of stuff.
Remodel kitchen.
Replace disintegrating driveway with permeable pavers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom