Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's an anecdote for you: Not in Mexico as such, but just over the line in AZ. We picked the 'nicest' restaurant in the small town and had lunch. When we left, I noticed a newspaper vending machine just outside. The picture on the front page of the newspaper was of a man lying in the middle of the street with blood running from his head. A second look revealed that it was in front of the restaurant we had just exited. But YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Airline bookings to Mexico resorts are down.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...ens/875348002/
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Funny as last December we had no issues and had a great time. We will go back too. We are rarely in the wrong places anyway when we travel.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Funny as last December we had no issues and had a great time. We will go back too. We are rarely in the wrong places anyway when we travel.
This thread is to help people like you who "always go" and are "rarely in the wrong place".

Being in the wrong place just once can be life altering. Life ending.

All the people harmed/injured/drugged/killed were exactly like you. The "not me" crowd. Go all the time. Always was fine.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #125
gone traveling

Disappointed that this topic is about Mexican vacations,
I was hoping for hookers.
Are truncation problems first world problems?

And, what about Mexican dentists?
Why are they being slighted?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Starting to think about a last minute AI to PV in early December. Then an early Jan AI with daugher and family to Cancun. Then home for a week and gone somewhere for 8 weeks to avoid the winter.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

On the Mexico trip where we drove and were on our own I wanted to buy a piece of stained glass. I wanted a Italian theme so knew what I was looking for. However, the shop keepers wouldn’t just let me look but stood close constantly talking and trying to get me to buy pieces I didn’t want. I was nice but telling them I needed to look by myself. The constant badgering made me nervous and finally I quit going into shops. They stood outside trying to get people in. I ended up buying in San Diego what I wanted. On cruises the places they take you to shop don’t do that. I don’t usually want to shop at all but many of the cruise tours include a shopping stop. I may miss some unique experiences but I am fine with that.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I would have hated that - being badgered is my Achilles heel. I have been known to turn around and march in the opposite direction.

We aren't much for shopping on vacation, but it is nice if you need to replace something like a lost jacket, and I do like to look at original handmade items, such as art glass. Was pleased that our Alaska tour stops led us to some nice shops (I bought a glass plate representing the Aurora Borealis) and very few junky places. When junky places were around, we were always on our own and within easy access of the tour bus or cruise ship, so it wasn't as if we were trapped in tourist junktown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
On the Mexico trip where we drove and were on our own I wanted to buy a piece of stained glass. I wanted a Italian theme so knew what I was looking for. However, the shop keepers wouldn’t just let me look but stood close constantly talking and trying to get me to buy pieces I didn’t want. I was nice but telling them I needed to look by myself. The constant badgering made me nervous and finally I quit going into shops. They stood outside trying to get people in. I ended up buying in San Diego what I wanted. On cruises the places they take you to shop don’t do that. I don’t usually want to shop at all but many of the cruise tours include a shopping stop. I may miss some unique experiences but I am fine with that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #129
Dryer sheet aficionado

Spiking drinks in order to rob (or, less often, rape) the victim is an increasing problem worldwide.

For example, it's been used for years by gangs in Europe to rob young, foreign, partying backpackers: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/l...-drug-13013719

It happens in Japan https://jp.usembassy.gov/security-me...king-roppongi/
it happens in Moscow https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2...robbed-moscow/
it most definitely happens on college campuses in the US Drink Spiking May Be More Prevalent Than Many Believe | Time

Does that mean you shouldn't go backpacking in Europe, or to Japan, or to college?

It seems it mostly happens where some people get drunk and pass out, so the person who's been drugged won't attract attention.

I go to Mexico, but I'd never go to an all-inclusive: I almost never go to bars, period.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI, the Yucatan Peninsula and Yucatan State are different things. The Yucatan Peninsula is made up of 3 states: Quintana Roo, Yucatan, and Campeche. Quintana Roo is where Cancun is as well as the violence and government corruption. The Yucatan state has little corruption and violence, but also no huge all inclusive resorts. Like the US, Mexico is a huge country and has more safe areas than dangerous, just like the US. When talking about dangerous or safe areas of Mexico, it is good to reference the city and/or state, because nothing is black and white (just like the US). BTW, I live in one of the deadiest cities in the US (murder rate), so everywhere I have visited in Mexico is safer than where I live in the US.

Also, I prefer bottled beer just to avoid ice that may have been tainted with tap water one way or another. I have never gotten sick in Mexico.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

New State Dept warnings.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartanntp
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
That is just awful. I will vacation elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

No thanks
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just curious. Has the State Department issued travel warnings for Chicago? How many bodies were found in Chicago on the same damn day? Haven't checked, but I'm guessing +8.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Just curious. Has the State Department issued travel warnings for Chicago? How many bodies were found in Chicago on the same damn day? Haven't checked, but I'm guessing +8.
The fact that you mention Chi Town and it's murder rate indicates that the State Dept. does not need to warn you. You already know it's dangerous (and your gut will be just about all the warning you need to avoid the few dozen square blocks where most of the problems exist in Chi.) For the novice going to a new place in which much local news is not going to scream "bloody murder" because it's bad for business, you just might need a shout out from the State Dept.

I'm not someone who indicts whole countries because of the dangers we've brought up here. Having said that, my gut isn't good enough to warn me in unfamiliar territory. For all the screaming headlines, most of us know why US crime is happening, where it's happening and where/how to avoid. But, as always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Agree with Koolau..now the issue of tainted booze is more concerning IMO because it seems very random, has popped up in some well known resorts and the only way to really avoid it is to drink only canned or bottled booze.

So a heads up on the booze is useful because although it is rare the consequence can be lethal. But you know, women drinking in public places have known for a long time to be careful about ordering drinks and having anyone but themselves handle the drinks.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
There was 30 shootings one night in Chicago within the past 2 weeks.

I still won't go to Mexico on vacation.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Warnings about traveling in the US

They do not mention death so they must assume no one visits the southside of Chicago!
Here is a good reason for issuing a warning for Cancun:
Quote:
Top 10 Thanksgiving Destinations
Many travelers will seek theme-park and warm-weather destinations this Thanksgiving. Both Orlando, Florida, and Anaheim, California, top this year’s top 10 holiday destinations based on AAA.com bookings. Compared to previous years, New York City, Las Vegas and San Francisco are gaining popularity as holiday spots.

Orlando, Florida
Anaheim, California
New York City, New York
Honolulu, Hawaii
Las Vegas, Nevada
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Cancun, Mexico
San Francisco, California
Kahului, Maui, Hawaii
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Old 08-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
There was 30 shootings one night in Chicago within the past 2 weeks.

I still won't go to Mexico on vacation.
2.7M people live in Chicago. Of the 30 shootings you mention, 2 actually died. A total of 11 people were murdered in the entire 48 hour weekend.

270K people live in Cancun. No idea how many shootings that did not result in death, but there were 8 murders.

The murder rate in Cancun over this period of time was 10x that of Chicago.

As far as I could tell from a quick read, none of the people killed in either city was a tourist.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #140

We travel the Baja all the time. Headed to Loreto in November for two weeks. Love it there but travel to other warm weather spots. I have purposely shied away from the Cancun area as I am familiar with a number of incidents with acquaintances and friends.

That however does not stop me from visiting. Mexico is a large country and has some great spots. You might as well throw Jamaica in the mix as they have their own problems and warnings for tourists.